Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 13-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
club21

Default Actinic Blue Only

I know this have been a issue ppl always argue or discuss.

Understand that most LSF use only actinic blue to keep marine invertebes and Coral alive. Some might believe it won't last long & the coral will die.

But I really came across a friend who use only 2x 96 watt Actinic Blue to keep soft coral & anemone. Its tank is nearly 2 years. Can someone explain why his reef can survive?
Old 13-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by club21

Understand that most LSF use only actinic blue to keep marine invertebes and Coral alive. Some might believe it won't last long & the coral will die.

But I really came across a friend who use only 2x 96 watt Actinic Blue to keep soft coral & anemone. Its tank is nearly 2 years. Can someone explain why his reef can survive?
what sort of bulb is he using?
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
club21

he is using Acradia Actinic Blue Light tube.

Before I started marine reef a year ago, already notice that his reef tank is always blue. I also joke with him why the tank look so errie. Not my style.

He claim there's a purpose for it and insist not using a day light tube for the tank. I dun know if his tank will die off without the day light.

May it be such reason that his tank has a very good water chemistry?
Old 13-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #4
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
he is using Acradia Actinic Blue Light tube.

Before I started marine reef a year ago, already notice that his reef tank is always blue. I also joke with him why the tank look so errie. Not my style.

He claim there's a purpose for it and insist not using a day light tube for the tank. I dun know if his tank will die off without the day light.

May it be such reason that his tank has a very good water chemistry?
what sort of bulb uses 96watts in a single tube? VHO?
Old 13-09-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
what sort of bulb uses 96watts in a single tube? VHO?
I'm wondering too.... 96w...
Old 14-09-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
spsman

Default interesting

Quote:

i would like to request your help in purchasing the 96watt. i have been looking for it but was told there is none in s'pore. VHO is not sold here.
anyone out there have this tubes, pm me pls. thks.
Old 14-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
club21

http://aquariumpros.com/aquaprostore/prods/CSLSL5.shtml

you can try the link here of what lighting I'm taking about. Something like that which is 1/96 Watt

Size : 36”x 6” x 4”

He only use actinic blue tube.
Old 14-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
http://aquariumpros.com/aquaprostore/prods/CSLSL5.shtml

you can try the link here of what lighting I'm taking about. Something like that which is 1/96 Watt

Size : 36”x 6” x 4”

He only use actinic blue tube.
96watts is a 36" long PL tube .. its not available in singapore. Where did he buy it?
Old 16-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
deep_end

club21,

Yup, this is indeed a sensitive and very hot topic.

Generally, most of us use daylight colours of anything up to 20,000K for corals to live and even possibly thrive and reproduce. And most of us also know that actinics (420nm) are used largely to enhance the fluorescent colours of corals, fish and inverts.

Some corals from deeper waters in fact have learnt to utilise actinic lighting, which is about the only lighting they will get anyway.

In your friend's case, there could be a couple of answers. Soem of the corals we keep commonly can actually survive in the total absence of light, as long as they can derive their energy from food. Does your friend feed his coral and anemone?

Many soft corals are also non-photosynthetic, i.e., they don't even need any light to grow - they just need food. Again, does your friend feed his corals?

Quote: