Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 13-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #1301
Calsberg
Dragon

This may come as a surprise to Citigroup, but the law does not allow one company to own the word 'thanks'. We're going to continue to say thanks to our customers.

~ Fletcher Cook (Spokesperson for AT&T. Mr Cook was responding to suit by Citigroup against AT&T of the latter's use of "AT&T Thanks" as part of a new customer loyalty programme. Citigroup claims this infringed its trademark rights to the phrase "thankyou.")
Calsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #1302
Calsberg
Dragon

China spends more on economic infrastructure annually than North America and Western Europe combined

~Report by McKinsey Global Institute (This quote was noted pursuant to an argument by global economists that now is a great time to invest in infrastructure because interest rates are super-low and the global economy could use the spending jolt)
Old 16-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #1303
richardg
Arofanatic

Live for what today offers.
Not what yesterday took away.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #1304
Calsberg
Dragon

The problem is that the fake products today, they make better quality, better price than the real product, than the real names.

~Jack Ma (Founder of e-commerce giant Alibaba Jack Ma commenting on the debate on sales of counterfeits online)

It’s inappropriate for a person of Jack Ma’s status to say something like this. For some individual cases what he’s saying might be true, but it’s wrong to generalise the phenomenon

~ Cao Lei (Director of the China E-Commerce Research Center in Hangzhou, chipping in on the above comment)
Old 21-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #1305
Calsberg
Dragon

We handed 12 Hong Leong Bank cheques which were kept in a bag to the Special Branch in Sandakan between 4pm and 6pm on May 24. All the money raised had been handed to them and we did not keep a single sen

~ Lau Cheng Kiong (Uncle to one of the 4 Sarawakian men above, commenting on the whereabouts of the monies raised by the family members and the public)

The government decided not to pay ransom, and police adhered to this order. The money raised was from public donation and assets sales (by the hostages’ families), and I can confirm that it was channelled not as ransom, but to a body in the Philippines which assists in an Islamic struggle. The body has no links to terrorists or criminals.

~ Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (Malaysia Deputy Prime Minister & Home Minister commenting on question posed whether ransom was a factor in the release of the 4 Sarawakian seamen who were abducted by Abu Sayyaf Group)

We got information that the Abu Sayyaf Group was incensed after learning from news reports that the money was actually RM12 million, equivalent to P130 million but that only P100 million reached them. The question is, where did the missing money go.

~Unknown (1st undisclosed source speaking to The Manila Times)

It is common knowledge in Malaysia that usually P30 million is paid as ransom for any number of Malaysian victims in the past. The P130 million by far is the highest

~Unknown (2nd undisclosed source speaking to The Manila Times)

Why must we open an enquiry about it? I already explained what happened to the money. I don’t know, but police will not investigate it because we know where the money went. I have already explained it and I don’t need to repeat what I said.

~Khalid Abu Bakar (Malaysian Inspector-General of Police)

If before, then why did we still pay since part of the money belonged to kin of the hostages who, among others, sold off their assets to raise the funds? We could have just returned the money to them. If after the release, how did the NGOs come into the picture? How did we know which NGOs exactly to send the money to ? Could we have refused to pay? That sounds like a ransom to me

~Mustapha Kamil (Former New Straits Times Group Editor commenting on the monies being channelled to supposed charitable organisations)

I am speechless. Why the ransom is given to charity organizations in the Philippines. You should return the money to its donors. It’s their hard earned money

~ Novie Liauw (Commentor on FB on the above issue)
Old 29-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #1306
Calsberg
Dragon

It has been four finals - it just wasn't for me unfortunately. I looked for it, and wanted it so bad, but it didn't happen for me. I think this is best for everyone, firstly for me and for a lot of people that wish this. The team has ended for me, a decision made. I tried many times [to be champion with Argentina] and I leave without being able to obtain it

~Lionel Messi (An Argentine professional footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club Barcelona, announcing his retirement from the national team immediately after Argentina lost to Chile in the Copa America finals. This was Messi's 4th loss in the finals of major competitions for Argentina)
Old 30-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #1307
Calsberg
Dragon

If BN (Barisan National) feels that they can bend or break me by arresting me, they are wrong! I will die standing (rather) than live on bended knees.
A free Malaysia, a fair Malaysia, a prosperous Malaysia for all is worth fighting for!

~ Lim Guan Eng (Penang Chief Minister and DAP Secretary General commenting on his being charged on 2 counts for corrupt practice under the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Act and the Penal Code)
Old 05-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #1308
Calsberg
Dragon

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #1309
richardg
Arofanatic

richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #1310
Calsberg
Dragon

But we are better to act now and explain and justify our actions than let the day be put off until something further, perhaps even worse catastrophe occurs.

~ Tony Blair (Former British Prime Minister, in a memo to George Bush (former President of the US), commenting that they should 'act now and explain later' in the pursuit of neutralising Saddan Hussein (former President of Iraq). The memo contents, amongst others, were made public pursuant to the Chilcot Report, a British public inquiry on the nation's role in the Iraqi war)