Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 18-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
MOTX
Dragon

Default If You are a Betta Comp. Judge......

I feel that, this is an interesting topic to talk about, even though most of us are not qualified judges.
Just want to gain your opinion, regardless you are new, mid or old bird in betta.

If you are a judge in a comp, and imagine you have shortlisted two fishes from the same class, eg. Super Red or Super Black or Super whatever....
These two fishes have almost similar criteria to win.
BUT, one is much bigger than the other in size, and you have strain your eyes with full concentration for the pass say 15mins, or longer.
NOW, the bigger one tend to relax a bit without full flare, and the smaller one still very active, probably one is older than the other.

Which one will you choose as the winner? Bigger one or Smaller one?
And Why?

Look forward to your view
MOTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
seanmg

all else equal, except size, n bigger piece inability to fully flare, i'd choose d smaller piece based on deportment. but that's my non-ibc certified opinion..
Old 18-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
xxfymxx

My view is i would choose the bigger one as the winner, to me it is not the size that matter in the final moment, for someone to keep a betta longer and bigger and still maintain its deportment, finnage, colour and whatever criteria in comparision to a smaller and maybe younger fish, i would say the effort counts thus i would choose the bigger/older one to be the winner.
Old 18-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Worldofbettas
Dragon

i suppose the judges are not to compare sizes but deportment and finnage so as long as the judges feel that one fish's deportment is better than another,he/she should not let the body size of the fish affect his/her decision,to be fair .In this situation,if the judge is biased the bigger fish,what is the point of competition when i can have a traditional giant PK into a non-giant catergory under the particular judge's judgement and win?

As mentioned by TS,if i were the judge i would not focus on the first fish for so long that it does not flare fully as it might influence ''MY'' judgement.I would have looked at both fish at the same time and compare both fishes' merit and faults so that "I' can judge the two fish equally.And i believe,even that TS stated that if they are of similar qualities,there is no two same fish in the world hence TS stated similar.I believe that the better fish would win in the end.
Just my 2cents.......

Last edited by Worldofbettas; 18-08-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: To add on.....
Worldofbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
mascot
Arofanatic

You mentioned one is much bigger than the other
But what you did not mention is if the smaller one is really much smaller than the average adult size

My decision will hinge not on the relative size between the 2 fish, but rather if the small one is really too small. If size is acceptable it should win on form and deportment. Otherwise you would be implying that there are bonus points for bigger sized fish, which should not be.
mascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
seanmg

as long as smaller fish is within minimum size requirements set by organizer, I will choose it over the bigger fish. if it falls short of the min size, i will disqualify it or not put it in the shortlisted top fishes.
Old 18-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
v80
Endangered Dragon

Most of the time, there are alway 1 lesser fault than the other..if both has the same number of faults, we will look for which betta has more desired trait..If still the same, I will go for bigger size...Credit has to be given to the participant for grooming his betta.
Normally, I dont let them flare for 15min during judging..
Hope my input help..
v80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
Imbellis

IBC ruling is that if all else equal, size will be the deciding point
Imbellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #9
BettaFaNatiC
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbellis View Post
does this mean that the deportment shld be compared 1st, as it is part of judging criteria right? and if even this is equal... Then we compare size?

so in this case, the smaller one should win already, since deportment comes in 1st...

hope i am right, cheers
BettaFaNatiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
mascot
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbellis View Post
I'm quite glad IBC don't run beauty pageants
mascot is offline   Reply With Quote