enjoy the hobby
EtErNiTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
fatthumb
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlovers View Post
Hello, im new to this forum.
I used to breed betta's when i was 12, with the help of one of my senior friends.
She does not have time for betta's anymore and i have stopped contacting her. But sadly, I had to get rid of the betta's that i owned due to my father's wishes. Im still a student,and I have forgotten everything about breeding betta's.
I used to breed betta's to share them with my family and friends.
I have finally decided to start my hobby again,which is to breed betta's.
but sadly,i have no idea how to start it again.

thus, im yearning for help is the prices.
(p,s. i am thinking of breeding them the tradional style,alot of moss and just leave the babies to grow and feed them the food they need when the get bigger.(a.k.a, boon)

I want to ask for some help to get information on how much certain items costs in my checklist. Im thinking of going to Yue Feng in street 81.As i live in tampines and its the nearest.
1)Betta's-halfmoon's are my priority,really love how they look,but i have no idea how much they cost now.So,i need help if they are any butterfly halfmoon males at yuefeng. Female's too.

2)the java moss - how much java moss do i need for sufficient micro organisms to grow at a quick pace for my soon to be betta fry. and if there are any in str 81. and how long does it take for an ample amount of miro organisms to grow.

3)a 2ft tank - how much do they cost? at street 81?

4)a heater - and again,the cost of one.not looking for those large ones,just simple ones for a 2ft tank.

5)Chemical to get rid of chlorine in water- how much do they cost nowadays?

6)a simple air pump for hatching of BBS. - again,the cost.

those are the things that i need to know before i start breeding again. ive read multiple posts in this forum and i just need to know these few things to get it all done.
and thank you to those who are helping me in this process.
Welcome back bro As what bro CharlieBrown has mentioned prices do vary from place to place but at least I can help you with some of the prices from auntie shop/C328. Again note that these prices is not exact, there might be some inaccuracies as I bought some of these items few months back.

--> 2ft tank (Gex/FivePlan brand) around $21-22 (I just bought one as a growout tank for my fries).
--> Anti-chlorine $18 for SeaChem Prime 500mL, $6-7 for Tetra Aquasafe 120mL, $3-4 for Genesis brand (should be around 100mL).
--> Air pump for normal brand 1 outlet should cost you around $7, but with approx $12 you can get 2 outlet with adjustable flow.
--> Moss at C328 1 packet I think is $3
--> As mentioned before heater is not required.

That's all from me, hope it helps
fatthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
wonderlovers
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiank View Post
Hi bro, if u noe how to breed them, do you noe how to take care of the spawn?
i've been reading alot about the breeding processes and recalling what i used to do before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrown View Post

1. Bettas - The price ranges. Depends on quality, type, etc. For bettas, better to see them yourself, as different people got different taste.
(i have set my eyes of butterfly halfmoons.
4. Heater - For bettas, don't need. Skip.
(in my area,it can get preety cold at night,the temperature drops really quickly,so i think the heater would be just a precautionary measure?

Seriously, I think you should just make a trip down there and walk into the shops and have a look yourself. Asking prices here is quite pointless, since they might differ from shop to shop. Even if someone quotes you a price, you don't really know what he could be referring to, so how to compare?
thank you for your help
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy80 View Post
welcome back. I guess u just have to pop in to clementi 328 and u will be able to find everything and anything to do with fishes there. Also, the prices there are reasonable. Just my 2 cents. hope it helps.Clementi seems to far,maybe if i can get my dad to drive as far to clementi,then that would be possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Loh View Post
Welcome back to the Betta Hobby and do update us on your bettasoh indeed I will
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBetta View Post
Welcome back to the hobby There are a few shops other thn C328 as well..like Y934,Y618 Hope you could enjoy your stay here thank you,im hoping to gain back the knowledge i lost and get more to cover for that
wonderlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #14
wonderlovers
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtErNiTy View Post
Welcome back to the big family
enjoy the hobby Thank you,Im really excited to have the feeling of seeing betta's again,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatthumb View Post
Welcome back bro As what bro CharlieBrown has mentioned prices do vary from place to place but at least I can help you with some of the prices from auntie shop/C328. Again note that these prices is not exact, there might be some inaccuracies as I bought some of these items few months back.

--> 2ft tank (Gex/FivePlan brand) around $21-22 (I just bought one as a growout tank for my fries).
--> Anti-chlorine $18 for SeaChem Prime 500mL, $6-7 for Tetra Aquasafe 120mL, $3-4 for Genesis brand (should be around 100mL).
--> Air pump for normal brand 1 outlet should cost you around $7, but with approx $12 you can get 2 outlet with adjustable flow.
--> Moss at C328 1 packet I think is $3
--> As mentioned before heater is not required.

That's all from me, hope it helps
Thank you for the help,that helps alot,but if my dad is being really lazy,the furthest he'd go would be pasir ris farmway 1
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
CharlieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiank View Post
Welcome back to the hobby
Welcoming me??
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
TheStigzor

Quote:
Thank you for the help,that helps alot,but if my dad is being really lazy,the furthest he'd go would be pasir ris farmway 1
First of all, welcome back to the hobby. I also just revived this hobby because I was dead bored during the school holidays.

Well if you can get to Pasir Ris Farmway 1, 2 and 3, you can already get pretty much all of the stuff you need. I do all my so-called shopping there.

Be thankful that your dad can drive you there. My dad doesn't even have a car.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
noobiee
Dragon

tampines you can try blk822 and 824. got 3 lfs over there

confirm + chop can get whatever you want

constant supply of live feeds
noobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
wonderlovers
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigzor View Post
First of all, welcome back to the hobby. I also just revived this hobby because I was dead bored during the school holidays.

Well if you can get to Pasir Ris Farmway 1, 2 and 3, you can already get pretty much all of the stuff you need. I do all my so-called shopping there.

Be thankful that your dad can drive you there. My dad doesn't even have a car.
maybe i'll drop by there sometime,but since the one in tampines is nearer to my home,that would be my choice. my dad rarely ever uses his car,the reason of which is 'petrol nowadays very expensive' . which in father talk is,go ride a bus or something,i want to take a nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiee View Post
tampines you can try blk822 and 824. got 3 lfs over there

confirm + chop can get whatever you want

constant supply of live feeds
what are the price range for male and female? do they have butterfly halfmoons? as that is the type im yearning to breed.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
TheStigzor

Quote:
maybe i'll drop by there sometime,but since the one in tampines is nearer to my home,that would be my choice. my dad rarely ever uses his car,the reason of which is 'petrol nowadays very expensive' . which in father talk is,go ride a bus or something,i want to take a nap.
Ahaha! Parents. Oh well!

Quote:
what are the price range for male and female? do they have butterfly halfmoons? as that is the type im yearning to breed.
The last time I went over to the LFS there, I don't recall seeing any nice bettas. Mainly veiltails and a couple of not-so-good-looking crowntails? But maybe I just happened to be there when all the good bettas were sold already. But as for live feeds, I do agree that they have a good supply.

Is the Yun Feng branch around there? I really like their main farm at Pasir Ris Farmway 1. All kinds of betta, prices range from $3 to $200+. And yes, I believe they do have butterfly halfmoons. Perhaps their branch may also have.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #20
wonderlovers
Dragon

Perhaps i'd go to those 3 lfs to see if anything catches my fancy,or i could go there to get my breeding materials before buying the betta's.Or maybe if im lucky,id get what im looking for right smacked in the face.

Then possibly if my dad is not 'taking a nap' he would drive me there,but if not,fat hope

Tags
betta, breeding, cost, price