Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #71
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69efan69 View Post
haha alrite thinking of selling my excel+flourish+profito away. not using them anymore and ive only used 0.5ml of each lol. btw im using what i think they call "black quartz". juz black gravel, no soil. =)
haha, maybe you can sell them to me!

btw, i think you should add some subwasserstang as well. they can serve as hiding place for your shrimplets if any of your females becomes berried
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #72
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique View Post
icic bro... maybe next time you might wanna consider using soil like GEX or ADA as it provides minerals and nutrients for plants and shrimps... just my opinion!

Cheers!
bro, care to enlighten me what nutrients do such processed soil have that can be beneficial to the shrimps??
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #73
Patrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
bro, care to enlighten me what nutrients do such processed soil have that can be beneficial to the shrimps??
sorry bro, i can't give you exact details but this is what i was told when i was buying the soil, as in the contents in the soil helps stabilize the water for optimal conditions for the shrimps
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #74
bbamanda

Quote:
lol yeaa it does become dirty easily. had to use chopstick and stir gravel to siphon out the dirts once a weeek haha. thanks!
Hi, can I ask if using chop stick to stir will scare the shrimps off?

Last edited by bbamanda; 12-11-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #75
globalcookie
Dragon

DO NOT Stir the base. That can cause a spike (toxin/amonia/nitrate/nitrite, whatever is at the base) and may cause casulty due to sudden change in water perimeter. Leave the base as it is if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique View Post
sorry bro, i can't give you exact details but this is what i was told when i was buying the soil, as in the contents in the soil helps stabilize the water for optimal conditions for the shrimps
If i'm not wrong, soil helps to lower pH. I don't know about benefits for shrimps directly.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #76
el993

Quote:
haha alrite thinking of selling my excel+flourish+profito away. not using them anymore and ive only used 0.5ml of each lol. btw im using what i think they call "black quartz". juz black gravel, no soil. =)
no use? haha sell it to me ba
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #77
dennal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
ada lower the ph level. CRS need low ph water around 6 to 6.5
benefits for shrimps indirectly is the plant. ada soil very good for planting. if the plant grow well it the give hidding place and food for shrimp.

Last edited by dennal; 12-11-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 15-11-2008, 04:52 AM   #78
69efan69

haha i'll post my fertz in the marketplace soon. anywae, Today i did a 30% weekly water change at 12am (water used is aged and antichlorine/chloramine added yesteday) and switch off the light.. den i got shocked when i on the tank light at 3am. all my cherries are either transparent or very little red.

i started looking around the internet for info and 10 min later i check them again, they are all very red again. Do they change colour when lights are off ?
Old 15-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #79
globalcookie
Dragon

30% wc seems a lot. Is it necessary to change so much each week? I do about 10-15% wc weekly, some weeks up to 20% change (but done abt 10% twice a wk).

It's normal for the shrimps to fade in color when they rest. The same applies for some fishes. If you look at them sometime later (eg 15-30mins), the color will likely be back to normal.

I believe it has to do with blood circulation when one sleeps. The blood pressure is reduced when one rest, thus coloration will be lower.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #80
Panut

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
30% wc seems a lot. Is it necessary to change so much each week? I do about 10-15% wc weekly, some weeks up to 20% change (but done abt 10% twice a wk).

It's normal for the shrimps to fade in color when they rest. The same applies for some fishes. If you look at them sometime later (eg 15-30mins), the color will likely be back to normal.

I believe it has to do with blood circulation when one sleeps. The blood pressure is reduced when one rest, thus coloration will be lower.
depends on your tank's size.

For shrimps, 20% is perfectly fine. WC with aged water.