Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
Censis
Dragon

Default Emperor Blue Hook lost control swimming

Hi guys, please do have a look at my video and let me know what is wrong or anyone has encountered something like this before.

This is the second case of my blue hooks acting like this. I had one that died the exact same way as this guy a few weeks ago.

Tested water parameters, they are fine and all other fishes are acting and eating normally.

Have kept these hooks for over a year in my care, and not sure how long they've been kept with previous owner/(s). They are about 12 inches or bigger. Diet is kunning fish and pellets.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Censis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
leezhengxi

I might not be expert, but last time my bluehook acted liked this because it got spooked and dashed around the tank and knocked itself on the glass very hard.

after a while, after letting it settle down, it became better.
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Censis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
I might not be expert, but last time my bluehook acted liked this because it got spooked and dashed around the tank and knocked itself on the glass very hard.

after a while, after letting it settle down, it became better.
I'm not sure about banging as I'm not at home when this happened (nor the my previous blue hook), but I can see that they have some injury at their snout.

However, they don't seem to go back to normal, just keep swimming uncontollably with suddenly bursts, knocking into the glass even more and die eventually..

Really wonder what's happening.. They have been with me for over a year.. First one died a few weeks ago and now I see the second one displaying the same symptoms..
Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #4
evilfry
Arofanatic

Bro. Sorry for your lost. Did anything change before this happened? Water change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
evilfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
Censis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfry View Post
Bro. Sorry for your lost. Did anything change before this happened? Water change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi bro, nothing changed. Been doing WC weekly, the last WC was bout 4 days ago..
Old 12-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Nevin
Dragon

If water parameter are okay and no major water change recently, I believe this would caused by the EBH knocked onto glass after they got spooked.

I witness this happened before for both my EBH and Red hook in 2 independent occasions.

The EBH was not make it but the Red hook did survive after 2 weeks swim upside down.

What I believe was the size and force of EBH is bigger than the red hook, hence the impact force for the EBH to knock onto the glass is huge.

Therefore, provide hooks with large space and avoid to spook them is the key to keep them for long.
Nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
LauLanChu
Dragon

Any dying fish will show this sign of struggle before it passes on, reasons can be many. However hook is one of the tough fishes and when they started dying something is not right. Hooks can withstand a lot of whacking from other fishes and they do fight among their own breed with bruises especially on the mouth, could be also from knocking. How long you having these hook?
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
Censis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
If water parameter are okay and no major water change recently, I believe this would caused by the EBH knocked onto glass after they got spooked.

I witness this happened before for both my EBH and Red hook in 2 independent occasions.

The EBH was not make it but the Red hook did survive after 2 weeks swim upside down.

What I believe was the size and force of EBH is bigger than the red hook, hence the impact force for the EBH to knock onto the glass is huge.

Therefore, provide hooks with large space and avoid to spook them is the key to keep them for long.
Hi Nevin, I did not do anything different like wc and water parameters are alrigjt(checked using kit) and all other fishes are alright. I do suspect them knocking into the glass walls as well but I've been keeping them for over a year and once recently one died and now another. My previous hook swim like that for over 3 days before dying making me more curious as it should die within hours if it was something serious.. Guess I'll let this guy stay in my tank and hope it recovers hearing that yours recovered after two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Any dying fish will show this sign of struggle before it passes on, reasons can be many. However hook is one of the tough fishes and when they started dying something is not right. Hooks can withstand a lot of whacking from other fishes and they do fight among their own breed with bruises especially on the mouth, could be also from knocking. How long you having these hook?
Hi Chu, yes I know they are tough, they often bang on glass wall even I on their lights when they are sleeping (accidentally). I've been keeping them for over a year in my tank and this happened recently only.. They are quite big tho.. Above 13" or even bigger.. Could size play a part?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
Aro77
Dragon

looks quite big.. is it possible ray stung it? last time my red aro something like this before dying.. took out saw a puncture in the belly area by ray sting
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
Censis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro77 View Post
looks quite big.. is it possible ray stung it? last time my red aro something like this before dying.. took out saw a puncture in the belly area by ray sting
Im not sure about ray stings but from what I see all my ray's stings are intact on their tails. Will check for any punctures if it dies..