Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 26-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #31
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Ah I didn't realize you were planning an indoor system. I'd always thought you were going for one in your garden that is partially buried.

In that case, a prefilter will be less needed as you will have much reduced algae growth and foreign bodies entering the system. Do consider enhancing the ventilation for the area where the pond will be in however as you will get a LOT of humidity that can cause complications with your household appliances and furniture. Extractor fans will help much.

The cheapest way to get a bakki shower done is to build it yourself.
The trays can be made using stacking plastic trays like those from
UTOC, a local company.

http://www.utoc.sg/index.php/plastic-crates-basket/

If you want something nice made out of stainless steel, I think Max Koi Farm has contacts to get a bakki made to Momotaro specifications.

I personally think that a Zakki lantern shower filled with MarinePure spheres will work best for an indoor system. The even water distribution means you don't need the multiple trays and height of a traditional bakki.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #32
spidy

Yap, I am in Singapore.
spidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 AM   #33
spidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Bro..some general info based on ponds I had.

Bottom drain, I recommend use 4 inch pipe.
The rest of the pipe, I use 2 inches, including output pipe from pump.

For the connecting to waterfall, you can reduce the vertical pipe to 1.5inch if needed.
For me, I use 2 inch pipe all the way, including the water fall. The vertical pipe length is about 5ft. No issue on water pressure loss.

I recommend use Tsunami as it is most reliable so far for me.

I would not recommend aerated bottom drain for your case, as the air bubble will affect your viewing.

You need to have a calm water surface for viewing pleasure.
For air bubbles in main pond, you can put at the side of the pond wall. In your case, I suggest on the left wall, so that it will help in "pushing" the water towards the surface skimmer. surface skimmer is importance for koi pond.

for your standing drain pipe, they should not be connected in single discharge. Each should have their own discharge.

Are you in Singapore?

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely take into consideration.

I have finally gotten a quote from the Ultima filter reseller in Singapore and I almost fell off my chair. Just for equipment without installation he is asking for $5000 !!!

I check on Amazon and the price I got without shipping (from US to SGP) are :
Ultima II 2000 (2" valve option) US$684.95
UV Steriliser 25 Watt, 2" (with wiper) US$331.66

Adding a submersible Pump - Tsurumi 40PU2.15S : SG$285 (from MaxKoiFarm website)

Based on the the amazon merchant estimate the air freight is around US$400
(to ship to my doorstep)

It will only come up to SG$2400 (rounding up, I even include 7% GST). Which is half of what the local reseller is quoting.

I am now very tempted to DIY the whole thing like what DragonFireSG did.
My builder will build the cement pond and all the piping work, I will have to tell them exactly how to connect the Ultima II and UV (which is very straight forward)

Any fellow hobbyist want to volunteer to help me on the final details on the design ?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #34
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

You can buy UV sterilizer from Max Koi. No need to pay so much to import a fragile item.
Also, Ultima 2k may be a bit small.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #35
spidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
You can buy UV sterilizer from Max Koi. No need to pay so much to import a fragile item.
Also, Ultima 2k may be a bit small.
Too small ? The spec for Ultima II 2k is for up to 2000 gallon. My pond is only 1000 gallon. I already oversize by 2 x.

The steriliser is also the "pipe" type and not those expose to naked eye one ?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #36
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Another thing. Consider getting the unit from EBay. You are quite well protected if you use Paypal. Ebay's Global Shipping Program allows for crazy cheap shipping rates for sellers that support it.

Like this here Ultima II 6000 - shipping to Singapore only US$30 ex import duties.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Aqua-Ult...oAAOSwX~dWrWME

Note that this seller has a relatively low number of trades under his/her name. They have been a long time with Ebay tho. And as I said, paypal will generally protect the buyer.

I got my 100kg chloramine carbon filter that is twice the size of the Ultima for US$70 shipping.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #37
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy View Post
Too small ? The spec for Ultima II 2k is for up to 2000 gallon. My pond is only 1000 gallon. I already oversize by 2 x.

The steriliser is also the "pipe" type and not those expose to naked eye one ?
Spec not for pond size but for flow rate. You want to turnover the pond more often. 4000 gph is not a bad place to be at. We tend to overstock our ponds so more turnover is better than less.

Put in a pair of Tsurumis for redundancy. Each does about 2000 gph under load.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #38
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Thoughts on sterilizer is that it is a consumable thing. As such, trying to get something that is easily available locally is important. You don't want to spend a ton on shipping every year.

It is not difficult to design an exposed tube filter into a new system.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #39
spidy

Thanks DF for your input. I have to work within my physical space constraint so my pond can only be 1000 gallon. Another mindset I have is I can never raise "jumbo" koi in my small pond anyway so this pond will not be heavily stock. It will still be stocked with nishikigoi but more for color and not size. Diamond farm Mr Lee was sharing if I seriously wants to keep "big" koi I can always rent his pond. He has quite a number of such hobbyists.

So my home pond will be a mixed pond of 5 kois (fengshui = 5 blessing) and lots of gold fishes. From my understanding gold fishes are not river fishes so if I turn over the pond very aggressively I am concerned my gold fishes will all be "blown" around like in a storm. Ha ha just my silly thought.

So back to my New Adventure of trying to DIY everything myself :

I have reached out to another ebay seller (BuyPondDirect) who can ship to Singapore using ebay Global Shipping Program. You are right the shipping price is crazily lower. Amazon merchant quoted me US$325 to ship but ebay GSP quote is US$21.55 and with import tax US$51.94 only.

For pump, I am taking your suggestion to get Tsurumis as I have good experience with this brand over the years as well.
For my filter, the spec state max flow is 2500gph so I cannot oversize the pump else the pressurised canister may cracked.

2,000 GPH at 10’ of head is the pump size recommendation by the Ultima filter. I check 40PU2.15S spec and I don't know how to interpret the head thing and the flow. The PU model also have different bore size, so if I am using 2" for all the rest of the piping shouldn't I be looking at 50PU2.4S ? But this model the flow rate is higher than 40PU2.15S

Also there is 50hz/60hz in the spec for Tsurumi PU, is the pump variable speed ? I am thinking of variable speed control pump as well but don't think Tsurumi pump has user controllable speed pump. Any other brands to recommend ?

Will check with Max on the UV over the weekend. Normally UV lifespan is 12mth to 18mth but I generally change annually. Will source around locally for pipe version as those china made expose version has not serve me well over the year. I sometime has to change 3 bulb per year which is almost same price if I buy one good one to last the whole year.

For surface skimmer, I am not sure whether floating skimmer that roam around the pond is better or fixed (pipe to pond bottom) skimmer is better ? Any thought ? Like I said, I won't have leaves around so will mostly be skimming dust and oil.

For Venturi, I intend to do that as I heard good thing about it. Will keep the air-stone at the pond edge below the water fall as backup (using hiblo 40) Anyone has experience with this ?

Pump Chamber,
Since I am using submersible pump to drive the ultima I need a pump chamber. I am think a 3 chamber system of around 1 foot wide. 1st chamber will be settlement from BD and skimmer chamber, 2nd Chamber Oystershell to buffer ph, 3rd chamber is submersible pumps (using separate pump for waterfall)
My concern is will my oyster chamber be very dirty ? Since there is no filtration before it. Or should I pump direct from BD to Ultima in chamber 1 (since we established in my environment we don't need pre-filter)

Once I can confirm I can get the main filter into Singapore myself I will start to revise my drawing.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #40
spidy

almost missed out the zakki shower.
Am still trying to get Zac to reply my email but no luck.

Anyone know of very compact version of bakki shower from other vendor ?