Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
sloke

Default Why & When Do Aro Select Their Diet?

This question came to me when my aro used to love SW but after 4 to 5 months later it had stopped eating. So I tried eveything except centipede.

Now it prefer live feeders and cricket which puzzled me extremely as to when and how did it change its diet.

Any possibility is to its age, tankmates,etc? Do anyone able to contribute their experience or knowledge on this. I am most appreciative of it. The intention why I asked is to have a better understanding of aro.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
recaro7676
AFC Member

I have the same issue last time, but now ok. what i did is maintain good water paremeter than i throw in 1 -2 bf wanna eat anot if dun wan let him be, starve him lo dont care than now every food i give he takes, best is maintain good water condition.
recaro7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
isa
2014 National Flowerhorn Competition 1st Prize

Ever check the ph 24/7 sometime this the main cause Aro dont want to eat if ph fluctuate up and down .
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
sloke

What you mean we need to have the heart of concrete. Starve it for a couple of days to make readily accept the food we give but that doesn't explain why there is a change of diet for arowana as they grow that led my interests to learn more of its charateristics.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

i believe its just a matter of personal preference.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
henward

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloke View Post
This question came to me when my aro used to love SW but after 4 to 5 months later it had stopped eating. So I tried eveything except centipede.

Now it prefer live feeders and cricket which puzzled me extremely as to when and how did it change its diet.

Any possibility is to its age, tankmates,etc? Do anyone able to contribute their experience or knowledge on this. I am most appreciative of it. The intention why I asked is to have a better understanding of aro.
I found from owning different aros (Jar, Black, Silver, RTG and Red)
that aro tend to move from one type of feed to another.
If you feed them nly one type of feed, they do get sick of it. some exceptions are live food like crickets, locust fish, where instinctively, they are geared to attack it. They dont get sick of those 3 i find

but my aro loves mealworms, but having fed it for months and months - it now doesnt like it as much as it used to.
so im transitioning it out, tried different foods, suddenly it ate WHOLE mp.... it hasnt eaten that for 3 months, and suddently it eats it with no hesitation,
they tend to switch, that is why varied diet is best.
one day feed this, another something different. this way, they will eat anything you give them (in theory)

tank mates play a part, i find that tank mates make the aro more hungry and compete harder for food.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
yhmiml

Quote:
Originally Posted by henward View Post
I found from owning different aros (Jar, Black, Silver, RTG and Red)
that aro tend to move from one type of feed to another.
If you feed them nly one type of feed, they do get sick of it. some exceptions are live food like crickets, locust fish, where instinctively, they are geared to attack it. They dont get sick of those 3 i find

but my aro loves mealworms, but having fed it for months and months - it now doesnt like it as much as it used to.
so im transitioning it out, tried different foods, suddenly it ate WHOLE mp.... it hasnt eaten that for 3 months, and suddently it eats it with no hesitation,
they tend to switch, that is why varied diet is best.
one day feed this, another something different. this way, they will eat anything you give them (in theory)

tank mates play a part, i find that tank mates make the aro more hungry and compete harder for food.
This one I agreed, bro. As I am now doing it to my 3 pcs red comm. Cheers.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
longyi
Endangered Dragon

I agreed with ppl comment to check your water parameter and pH level. Last thing is never try feeding your aro with crickets.
longyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
henward

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyi View Post
I agreed with ppl comment to check your water parameter and pH level. Last thing is never try feeding your aro with crickets.
why not crickets?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
sloke

Thanks for everyone valuable feedback. At least, I have understanding of its characteristics. Yeah, why no cricket? Is it once used to it, they will never change their diet or difficult to change?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk