Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 28-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
jyilailong

Default Shrimp found trap in overhang filter

Just to share my experience. Found 1 CRS dead and 2 still alive in my overhang filter when I do the cleaning.
There is no way for the shrimp been suck in from the inlet as I've covered it with filter material. The only possibility is they crawl in from the outlet when the power cut off (The water level is covered the outlet about 5mm). I saw one pcs of CRS trying very hard to do it the night before and I did nothing as I don't believe it can make it. Just wonder anyone has the same experience? For those use overhang filter, please be aware of this potential risk.
Old 28-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Occellatus
Endangered Dragon

Could it be the small hatchlings manage to find the way inside?
Occellatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
jyilailong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occellatus View Post
Could it be the small hatchlings manage to find the way inside?
No. All the 3 shrimps found in the filter is above 5mm in size. The one that get kill is near to 1cm.
Old 29-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Freshman
Dragon

Hi,

get a pcs of stocking n wrap it ard the filter inlet..
sponge also can..

this will prevent shrimp or shrimplets from being suck in..
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
PLee

i use sponge to wrap around my filter inlet.
Old 30-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
jyilailong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLee View Post
i use sponge to wrap around my filter inlet.
The inlet is wrapped with white filter material (those cotton look type). Don't think they get in from there. They are too big to go through.

Can post a picture how to wrap the inlet with sponge? What type of sponge and where to get it. My only pc of pregnant CRS finally give birth to some shrimplets after 4 over weeks of waiting. Only spot two pc on moss last night. Worry they might get suck through the filter material that cover the filter inlet. thanks.
Old 30-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
zadrian
Dragon

Ever tried the KTV or mic sponges ?
zadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
jyilailong

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadrian View Post
Ever tried the KTV or mic sponges ?
No. Are they safe to use? Are they expensive?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Velius

Seen it happened before.

The shrimps actually crawled in from the inlet not the outlet. It seems virtually impossible, but it's actually very possible for hangon filters, especially the ones with cottonwool to absord debris. The filter would quickly decrease it's efficiency to provide maximum water flow when the filter media accumulates the debris. The water level will begin to rise until it finds another exit for the excessive water to go out, which would be the socket the inlet tube clasps onto the filter. A thin yet obvious water stream will flow along the exterior of the inlet tube, thus enabling the shrimp to climb its way into the filter.

Even though your water line touches the outlet, shrimps will never completely get of the water. As long as you wash hangon filters before it starts to lose its efficiency, you will not experience this issue. You can experiment this yourself but recreating this scenario if you're interested.

If you didn't experienced the scenario I mentioned above and the shrimps were still found inside the filter...then I have no clue... D:
Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
jyilailong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velius View Post
Seen it happened before.

The shrimps actually crawled in from the inlet not the outlet. It seems virtually impossible, but it's actually very possible for hangon filters, especially the ones with cottonwool to absord debris. The filter would quickly decrease it's efficiency to provide maximum water flow when the filter media accumulates the debris. The water level will begin to rise until it finds another exit for the excessive water to go out, which would be the socket the inlet tube clasps onto the filter. A thin yet obvious water stream will flow along the exterior of the inlet tube, thus enabling the shrimp to climb its way into the filter.

Even though your water line touches the outlet, shrimps will never completely get of the water. As long as you wash hangon filters before it starts to lose its efficiency, you will not experience this issue. You can experiment this yourself but recreating this scenario if you're interested.

If you didn't experienced the scenario I mentioned above and the shrimps were still found inside the filter...then I have no clue... D:
Thanks Velius. Your view make sense. It is possible for them to clawn in from the socket of the inlet tube. Do you experience it before?