Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 18-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Jabby
Dragon

Great information. A very valid point to note on my next purchase.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
UnSun

I just like to add an important point, that is food. Assuming you have already adopted good water management practices, also feeding the correct type of food and amount is very important. Contrary to most people said floating pellets will caused SBD, I discovered actually it's the opposite. As a matter of fact those quality SS sized koi pellets are the best as koi and gfs usually can eat the same pellets. Floating pellets are made less compact and dense hence much more easy to digest. So how can they caused sbp ? To further aid digestions, just feed a little fbw as a last feed for the day and you should see further benefits.

These are my pellets that I'm using to suit different purposes.
Old 19-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
bettafish
Arofanatic

Another suspicion I've is Singaporeans tend to over feed their fishes. Even the recent Ranchu competition some of the judges were saying tt certain fishes were over pumped. Mine feel is that we tend to feed our fishes with too much pellets of high protein n not give them enough vegetables, fruits or in other words what we feed n how we feed is v different from what a fish in nature would encounter.
bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
bettafish
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
I just like to add an important point, that is food. Assuming you have already adopted good water management practices, also feeding the correct type of food and amount is very important. Contrary to most people said floating pellets will caused SBD, I discovered actually it's the opposite. As a matter of fact those quality SS sized koi pellets are the best as koi and gfs usually can eat the same pellets. Floating pellets are made less compact and dense hence much more easy to digest. So how can they caused sbp ? To further aid digestions, just feed a little fbw as a last feed for the day and you should see further benefits.

These are my pellets that I'm using to suit different purposes.
Jus in case there's any confusion, my previous post was not related to ur post where u show the food you feed.
I'm just saying it might be good for us gf owners to have some restrain when feeding our fish. Maybe for 1 day, 24h each week the fishes gets no food or some light vegetable food, lettuce?? or the algae wafers.
Old 19-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
bettafish
Arofanatic

Another thing, esp if one feeds live foods like tubifex we probably need to deworm quarterly.
My suggestion, soak the pellets in Epsom salt n feed for two days. Then use General Cure from API. For two days, General Cure has both metro n prazi.
Rest two days, then use Epsom again for two days. See the condition of the s*it to decide if General Cure should be re-administered.
Old 19-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish View Post
Another suspicion I've is Singaporeans tend to over feed their fishes. Even the recent Ranchu competition some of the judges were saying tt certain fishes were over pumped. Mine feel is that we tend to feed our fishes with too much pellets of high protein n not give them enough vegetables, fruits or in other words what we feed n how we feed is v different from what a fish in nature would encounter.
I can't agreed more...pump, pump and pump method is OK but risky to a certain extend. One must understand what one is trying to achieve. Gotta look at the whole picture not just putting too much emphasis on just Head growth alone and go for only high protein pellets.
Old 20-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
Heuer
Dragon

soak the pellets for 3 mins before feeding should remove most of the air which I think will help.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote