Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
goldyfancy

redcross HELP! Ick or not??

Hello,

I just got a new oranda and I'm afraid she might have ick or the start of the visible white spot symptom of the cycle. I've treated ick before (and have been successful), and hers is not as bright white as I've seen. I've done 2 treatments for her so far, just in case so it doesn't get worse or develop further.

She has 2-3 spots on her tail fin (and possibly the start of a spot on her dorsal fin, but I'm not sure). They are larger than what I've seen in ick and lighter than looking like salt. It has not spread for at least 4 days.

Is this ick? Or could it be a minor case of oxygen burn? What can I do to treat this besides medication and/or raising the water temp? (I have never used salt before)
Old 03-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Xmant
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyfancy View Post
Hello,

I just got a new oranda and I'm afraid she might have ick or the start of the visible white spot symptom of the cycle. I've treated ick before (and have been successful), and hers is not as bright white as I've seen. I've done 2 treatments for her so far, just in case so it doesn't get worse or develop further.

She has 2-3 spots on her tail fin (and possibly the start of a spot on her dorsal fin, but I'm not sure). They are larger than what I've seen in ick and lighter than looking like salt. It has not spread for at least 4 days.

Is this ick? Or could it be a minor case of oxygen burn? What can I do to treat this besides medication and/or raising the water temp? (I have never used salt before)

Put some freshwater salt in your tank water, roughly 1 spoonful per 20litres tank water. This would help to remove and minimise ick from spreading further. If your ick has overcome and populated, strong medicine is needed. You may ask lfs for help, they should be able to recommend you the appropriate medicine treatment.

Ick is very dangerous and they can spread very fast within a day or 2.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
goldyfancy

Default Salt Question

Thank you for your advice! I'll have to get some salt tomorrow. I was told to get freshwater salt of a solution of .03%. Would this be correct?

However, I removed my carbon/cartridge from my filter for the medicine. Should I put another one in before adding the salt? (I am going to do a water change before doing any of this as well)
Old 03-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Xmant
Dragon

I am not sure about 0.03%, never measured before. Btw freshwater salt is different from marine salt (saltwater salt). Actually, goldfishes are quite tolerate with freshwater salt as long as you don't put too much. Just measure your tank volume, should be able to tell how many litres from there, then put the correct amount in.

The ick should be disappeared after a few days. If not, pls consult others for help or lfs. They will be very happy to help you.

Last edited by Xmant; 03-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyfancy View Post
Hello,

hmmm why not you take a pic post it here so that we have a clear view on what really happen to your fish
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, new fish, oxygen burn, white spot