Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 15-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #111
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudskippy View Post
But this is quite easy to be fixed right? Just increase the dripping rate until the rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide) gone...
Technically speaking, yes but the denitrification is not instantaneous. It needs certain ....shall we say, retention time for the process to complete. If the flowrate is too quick for the size of denitrator, incomplete denitrification will take place. You might get nitrate at the output and worst case, nitrite n ammonia too!
Old 15-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #112
starting out

the presence of nitrite or ammonia at the output of the denitrator is a reason why it should be feed into the start of a filter like sump to proses this back to nitrate if it occurs. right?
also to air rate as well
Old 15-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #113
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Technically speaking, yes but the denitrification is not instantaneous. It needs certain ....shall we say, retention time for the process to complete. If the flowrate is too quick for the size of denitrator, incomplete denitrification will take place. You might get nitrate at the output and worst case, nitrite n ammonia too!
That's something I have been thinking about also, thank for the clarification.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #114
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by starting out View Post
the presence of nitrite or ammonia at the output of the denitrator is a reason why it should be feed into the start of a filter like sump to proses this back to nitrate if it occurs. right?
also to air rate as well
Yes you are right about being nitrified to nitrate in the bio-conversion filtration system. The aim of using denitrator is to remove nitrate totally and if it starts to produce nitrite or ammonia or both, it becomes another bio-load generator.
Old 15-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #115
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
That's something I have been thinking about also, thank for the clarification.
No problem. Haven't seen your posting here for quite awhile.
Old 15-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #116
WaterZoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerboi View Post
Wow, nice info there.

After the terrible incident, the output from my denitrator is more stable. Now i get 0 nitrate output and less rotten egg smell. Is it due to the sudden increase in carbon source that the anaerobes start to work double hard? IF so, then when the carbon source depletes, means the anaerobes will start to die and i'm back to square 1?

Another qns... is the nr5000 better or a modified eheim cannister is better?
Of course a NR5000 is much better than a modified eheim cannister and likewise a Schuran NF 100 with siporax media is much better than the NR5000.
Old 15-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #117
WaterZoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Could you explain what -500mV indicates?
Mod Spakase ...

ORP stands for Oxidation Reduction Potential which is a measure in millivolts (mV) of a tendency of a chemical substance to oxidize or reduce another chemical substance.

Also take note that ORP measurements are almost never temperature compensated.

This is my understanding ..
Old 15-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #118
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterZoo View Post
Of course a NR5000 is much better than a modified eheim cannister and likewise a Schuran NF 100 with siporax media is much better than the NR5000.
Hmmm definitely you belongs to the Schuran camp. There are also the Deltec camp too!
Old 15-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #119
octane
Endangered Dragon

finally sifu atom passed me some deniballs. was trying hard to find them at lfs in yishun but to no avail

overview of denitrator

deniballs!

interior of denitrator. shows the suction pipe with holes drilled for suction of water at the bottom to circulating pump. genius!

the bioballs looks relatively clean to me, no foul smell or whatsoever.
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #120
octane
Endangered Dragon

finally did maintenance on denitrator after running for 3 months. after a few knocks, the cover slide out smoothly. was expecting some foul smell but was pleasantly suprised, even had cigs standby on hand

pour out all the bioballs and mix the deniballs to the bioballs and restarted system. was expecting at least a couple of days but was glad to see the ORP value at -150mV 12hrs later. initial value at 380mV.

injected 5ml sugar solution last night after noticing value more or less maintaining at -120mV. notice the denitrator cutting in and out every 20mins or so today. measured the output and nitrate at 0mg/l.

guess i can finally stop 'feeding' the anerobes and let the deniballs do that chore.

last measured nitrate level at slightly over 75mg/l. let's see how it turns out.
octane is offline   Reply With Quote