Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 22-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #121
[V]tEc

Compared in terms of usage, this is much more expensive than prime. Prime i am dosing 30ml for my tank. Ast need to dose 150ml.
[V]tEc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #122
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

AST/Chloram-X is the Rolls Royce of antichlorine.

It isn't thiosulphate based like most other ACs, and can convert ammonia to less toxic ammonium in cases of emergencies like a filter BB die-out due to PH crash/tap water flooding/overcleaning.

It's good to have some Chloram-X around for such situations - for regular use, I think prime will do fine.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #123
Tay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [V]tEc View Post
Compared in terms of usage, this is much more expensive than prime. Prime i am dosing 30ml for my tank. Ast need to dose 150ml.
Bro the dosage for AST is 25ml for 200 litres of water. Dosage based on amt of water change not full tank vol. 150ml means u changing 1.2ton of water every time??? How big is ur tank???

Regards to how effective based on prime recommended dosage, there r articles regards to removing chloramines on prime. Pls google as i do not wish to go into details. Regards to why fishes breath heavily is becos after breaking chlorine fr chloramine ammonia is the by pdt, if the AC do not hv the ability to remove ammonia as well but depending on the filter to do so, ur fishes will hv to suffer for the time being lor.

However, as I always encourage pple, if one think prime is gd, pls cont to use it & not convert to AST. Cos without an open mind & proper knowledge on using AC, all negatives will be reflected on the AC & not the user. Over 50 hobbyists I recommended had feedback
Is value for money & v effective, think the pdts had proven itself enuf. However, i hope in future, there will be more effective & AC we can use.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #124
shermie
Senior Dragon

I was using prime n safe for quite a while. Rays breathe heavily most of the time but were otherwise perfectly normal with huge appetite.

Switched to AST for 2 months now. Rays breathe a lot calmer now, apart from that everything else same.

I can't say 100% AST is definately better by miles, but based on my personal observation I feel safer using AST.

Cost wise I never really calculated since I was using the biggest bucket of seachem safe. But IMHO cost of AC is a small issue compared to the cost of my fish.

Ps : thx Tay for recommending AST
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #125
Epon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
I was using prime n safe for quite a while. Rays breathe heavily most of the time but were otherwise perfectly normal with huge appetite.

Switched to AST for 2 months now. Rays breathe a lot calmer now, apart from that everything else same.

I can't say 100% AST is definately better by miles, but based on my personal observation I feel safer using AST.

Cost wise I never really calculated since I was using the biggest bucket of seachem safe. But IMHO cost of AC is a small issue compared to the cost of my fish.

Agree 200% and same case on me.
Did not notice the heavy breathing anymore as i usually change 50% per week once nowadays. Did not compare the costs either since in in long run, it's not much diff if we consider the much higher cost of the fish we keep..

I am not good in terms of the technicalities here.. but i have to say i will stick to this AST..

Again I am not say seachem not good.. with seachem.. i dont risk change 50% water .. I still have a big container of it.. And use it on my XB aro tank only... got to finish it right..
Epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #126
pandoratis

Hi Tay, with regards to the clorAm-x technology, how is this AST different from other products that have clorAm-x technology such as Microbe-lift Dry ammonia remover?
pandoratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 01:46 AM   #127
Tay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandoratis View Post
Hi Tay, with regards to the clorAm-x technology, how is this AST different from other products that have clorAm-x technology such as Microbe-lift Dry ammonia remover?
Hi Bro, I had think v v long b4 deciding to ans ur query, cos if I flood u with info, pple may say if u do not hv invested int y u kn so much. However, if I dont feed u with info, pple will say since u don kn anything abt AST y u recommend pple to use, I realised in this world, watever u do, pple sure hv opinion on u. I had heard some stories saying that Ah Tay trying to promote magic AST, well, these pple hv not even try the pdt but yet can come out with such conclusion, don think is fair to AST nor myself. Anyway AST had already proven itself & the rest is up to the end user. Impt, if u do not hv an open mind and knowledge to try, pls dont try, just stick to wat u r using will be fine.

Ok, come back to ClorAm-X, this technology is owned and developed by AST (Patented). ClorAm-X in powder form are differentiated into 3 pdts:
1) Pure ClorAm-X (This v potent and ex, not suitable for sg mkt cos most r v sensitive regards to pricing)
2) ClorAm-X Bufferred (this v suitable for pond or heavy user, I myself is using this for my ray pond)
3) New Pond (This just launched into the mkt recently by the distr. This the only powder AC with slime coat in the mkt)

The amt of pure ClorAm-X in each pdt is diff so as to cater to diff gp of user.

AST OEM for many major brands in USA, wat brands I do not wan to mention cos of contract legal issue. However, like microbelift dry ammonia remover stated is ClorAm-X tech, then the contract bet AST & Microbelift allowed the use of ClorAm-X for mktg. However, wat is the amt of ClorAm-X being used in Microbelift no one kn except both companies. Based on the above 3 powdered AST AC, obviously the amt of pure ClorAm-X is diff in each pdt cos the dosage is diff. OEM, 10%, 20%, 30%, still can state ClorAm-X tech, think a lot got to do with contract terms la. Best we don go into this.

As such, bro, I cant tell u wats the diff bet AST ClorAm-X & Microbelift ClorAm-X cos no one kn wats the contract terms.

There is another brand AC in sg also OEM by AST, (Cannot mentioned brand due to legal issue), this AC have expiry date but AST does not, why? Again, it got to do with contact terms & wat was being formulated.

I wld just place my bet on the original AST itself cos the owner cfm wld not spoil its own brand. No stress la........

Last edited by Tay; 24-08-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 24-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #128
pandoratis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
Hi Bro, I had think v v long b4 deciding to ans ur query, cos if I flood u with info, pple may say if u do not hv invested int y u kn so much. However, if I dont feed u with info, pple will say since u don kn anything abt AST y u recommend pple to use, I realised in this world, watever u do, pple sure hv opinion on u. I had heard some stories saying that Ah Tay trying to promote magic AST, well, these pple hv not even try the pdt but yet can come out with such conclusion, don think is fair to AST nor myself. Anyway AST had already proven itself & the rest is up to the end user. Impt, if u do not hv an open mind and knowledge to try, pls dont try, just stick to wat u r using will be fine.

Ok, come back to ClorAm-X, this technology is owned and developed by AST (Patented). ClorAm-X in powder form are differentiated into 3 pdts:
1) Pure ClorAm-X (This v potent and ex, not suitable for sg mkt cos most r v sensitive regards to pricing)
2) ClorAm-X Bufferred (this v suitable for pond or heavy user, I myself is using this for my ray pond)
3) New Pond (This just launched into the mkt recently by the distr. This the only powder AC with slime coat in the mkt)

AST OEM for many major brands in USA, wat brands I do not wan to mention cos of contract legal issue. However, like microbelift dry ammonia remover stated is ClorAm-X tech, then the contract bet AST & Microbelift allowed the use of ClorAm-X for mktg. However, wat is the amt of ClorAm-X being used in Microbelift no one kn except both companies. Based on the above 3 powdered AST AC, obviously the amt of pure ClorAm-X is diff in each pdt cos the dosage is diff. OEM, 10%, 20%, 30%, still can state ClorAm-X tech, think a lot got to do with contract terms la. Best we don go into this.

As such, bro, I cant tell u wats the diff bet AST ClorAm-X & Microbelift ClorAm-X cos no one kn wats the contract terms.

There is another brand AC in sg also OEM by AST, (Cannot mentioned brand due to legal issue), this AC have expiry date but AST does not, why? Again, it got to do with contact terms & wat was being formulated.

I wld just place my bet on the original AST itself cos the owner cfm wld not spoil its own brand. No stress la........

Thanks for the detailed reply and clearing my doubts! Cheers!
pandoratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 05:58 AM   #129
Jasonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post

I am another user for AST switch from SC safe to microlift extreme to AST.

Done 90 percent WC weekly with extreme before on my ray no problem but breathing heavily

Done 50 percent WC weekly with AST no issue will slowly increase the WC amt to 90 hee hee..
Jasonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #130
Tay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post

No worries bro, u r not the 1st guy that encounter such problem. I knew abt the conseqences thats y I pass u the AST New POND Powder ASAP hoping it will not be too late. Thk God, ur rays breathing slowly go back to normal.

There may still be many guys out there hving this issue without realising. Hope more hobbyists may help each other & advise them accordingly