Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > Species Profiles & Resources

Old 03-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Spakase

Default Geophagus Altifrons, "Rio Negro"

Geophagus Altifrons, "Rio Negro" is an eartheater that is endemic to the Amazon River. The generic name of the species is Geophagus Altifrons, and Rio Negro is the location where this species is collected. Hence Geophagus Altifrons Tocantin would be a species of Altifrons collected at Rio Tocantin.
The word Altifrons originates from the Latin words "high forehead", which describes the fish quite well.
Rio Negro is one of the tributaries of the Amazon river and is characterised by slow moving, soft water with low ph due to the fallen trees, leaves, and branches that leeches acid into the water. Water parameters are a Ph of 4.5 to 6.5, gh of 0 to 4 dH, and a temperature of 27-30 degrees. Ph rises when the river floods, hence the fishes are adaptable to a range of ph as it fluctuates throughout the year, depending on the season.
This fish has been spotted in reservoirs in Singapore, they grow up to 12 inches, I've owned a few adults that are almost a foot long. Some pictures of my fishes are posted below.
I find that the specimens imported from abroad are more sensitive to water parameters than those that are locally bred. Nevertheless, they are adaptable to our local water, and at a ph of 6 to 6.9, with soft water (peat filtered, Ketapang as an alternative), the fish will show the best colours and irridescence with fully extended dorsal fins.
These are truly magnificent fishes, slow and graceful in their swimming, with fairy lights carried on their backs.
Altifrons are omnivorous creatures, they eat both plant and meat, but their preference is for the latter. In the wild, they have developed special feeding techniques by sifting the earth and expelling it through their highly developed gills that are able to trap food. It is a joy to see them "playing" with sand in the aquarium, with clouds of sand blown out through gills.
Ideally, the aquarium should be large as these fishes are mildly aggressive and therefore need more swimming space. They can be seen chasing away other fishes although they are not opportunistic feeders. Their staple diet can be pellets, I feed them with Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets, and a homemade shrimp mix. Ocasionally, frozen bloodworm, mysis shrimp can be offered to them.
Tank decor would be driftwood, fine sand, I use Europet sand which is available from Petmart and C328 (lfs). As eartheaters have a habit of sifting sand, it is not advisable to use coral sand or quartz which may damage their fine gills.
Compatible tankmates would be non aggressive fishes such as Acarichthys Heckelli, Geophagus sp Tapajos Red Head. I avoid the more aggressive eartheaters such as Geophagus Brasiliensis, Gymnogeophagus balzani, as these tend to be highly territorial. I've also added several Heros species into the tank with Altifrons, it makes the tank sparkle with different shades of colour, because otherwise, an eartheater tank can be quite boring.

Last edited by Spakase; 07-10-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Spakase

Pictures:

Old 03-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Spakase

More Pics:

Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Ornata

Wow very nice Altifrons!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Leopard88

Very nice. Look like fine jewellery pieces .
Old 03-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
frontosa
Dragon

Woah....great photography skills - does justice to the fish

Yep, altifrons though common, are actually very elegant fishes....especially the adults with their long flowing fins. I actually prefer them over red-heads as although the red-heads have striking colourations, their bodies are rather pale....compared to the altifrons.

Always enjoyed the sight of them sifting through the sand
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
sheng
Dragon

wow, those EE really look great.
What are their size?

Last edited by sheng; 03-10-2007 at 11:05 PM.
sheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
HappyGoLucky
Dragon

Beautiful Altifrons... Actually Red Head is also very nice.. Each has their own special...
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
Gar
Arofanatic

Ur EEs are really nice!
Gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Real Cichlid

Wow! Peter, you got Wild Altifrons?