Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 01-07-2003, 07:13 PM   #21
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by terentius
Whats the best way..? any recommendation.. Happy buddha.. you have a nice collection of GF there.. how much does a ranchu of your that kind of standard cost.. spotted any nice ones recently..?
I am a newbie in ranchu.. need your guidance and advices..
Thanks for the complement. My cheapest ranchus are those thumb-sized one that cost me $2 each. The most expensive is doraemon which I paid $45.

I've been trying to go cold turkey on checking out new ranchus so I can't tell you which LFS has nice ones these days. Sorry. My advise is be patient and hang around here. Many bros love to treasure hunt for ranchus, and AFTER they have picked out nice ones for themselves, they will tell us which LFS is housing those treasure. Kekekeke.

If ranchu is new to you, I'd suggest you go out and buy just one instead of building up your collection immediately. You'll learn to appreciate ranchu with that one in your tank. Post a few pics and ask bros to give you frank comments. You'll pick up the pleasure of appreciating ranchu faster this way.

Although they cost me $2 each, I'm getting a lot of satisfaction watching my little ranchus grow up. After just 2 months, they have doubled in size and still going strong. They're lousy ranchus (hope they're not reading this) but they bring me joy.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:10 PM   #22
goldfishfever

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
If ranchu is new to you, I'd suggest you go out and buy just one instead of building up your collection immediately. You'll learn to appreciate ranchu with that one in your tank. Post a few pics and ask bros to give you frank comments. You'll pick up the pleasure of appreciating ranchu faster this way.

Or, you can invite us to your house for a more accurate assessment hehehe.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:20 PM   #23
egstring

read from somewhere that Japs feed their ranchu will bloodworms as main diet and supplement with pellets....
and some Jap farms feed theirs with only frozen bloodworms!

so now, for my case, i will go alternate....
cos i have hikari lionhead, JRL and Chroma pellets....
so weekdays i will feed pellets...
saturday is frozen bloodworms day.....
and SUnday, i will feed them peas in the morning and bloodworms at noon....

and my ways of feeding is to just rinse the cube for maybe 2 secs under the tap and just feed them to my fish.....

so far so good.....
Old 01-07-2003, 11:32 PM   #24
Xerovix

care to tell us the gills colour of your ranchu now?

Quote:
Originally posted by egstring

and my ways of feeding is to just rinse the cube for maybe 2 secs under the tap and just feed them to my fish.....

so far so good.....
Old 02-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #25
whtan1
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberET
floating type is only oranda gold, we prefer to feed sinking type, cause floating type will cause bubbles in their poo, and other reasons.. as for hikari frozen bloodworms, i'm not sure east side where sell cheaper, i get my supplies from petmart, at $11 a box, lionhead @ $8.50, oranda gold also $8.50, JRL @ $16.. as for that lfs, maybe he feed live one thats y kena gill infection?
beware of expired food at Petmart
the one beside rainbow has longer expired date
whtan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:10 AM   #26
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by whtan1
beware of expired food at Petmart
the one beside rainbow has longer expired date
Is there any other LFS selling the 32 cube Hakari bloodworm cheaper than C328. C328 selling one box for $11.50.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 AM   #27
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by egstring
read from somewhere that Japs feed their ranchu will bloodworms as main diet and supplement with pellets....
and some Jap farms feed theirs with only frozen bloodworms!

so now, for my case, i will go alternate....
cos i have hikari lionhead, JRL and Chroma pellets....
so weekdays i will feed pellets...
saturday is frozen bloodworms day.....
and SUnday, i will feed them peas in the morning and bloodworms at noon....

so far so good.....
I hope the chlorinated tap water will not have any bad effect on your fishes. Why not consider defrosting in a small bowl with your tank's water? Just soak them for a while and then drain away the 'dirty' water. I think you will keep more nutrients this way...

Looks like a lot of bros are using frozen bloodworm. Would it be possible to cultivate your own live bloodworm? At least you can control their cleaniness, and live is probably more nutritious than frozen.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:35 AM   #28
egstring

Quote:
I hope the chlorinated tap water will not have any bad effect on your fishes. Why not consider defrosting in a small bowl with your tank's water? Just soak them for a while and then drain away the 'dirty' water. I think you will keep more nutrients this way...

Looks like a lot of bros are using frozen bloodworm. Would it be possible to cultivate your own live bloodworm? At least you can control their cleaniness, and live is probably more nutritious than frozen.
can lah....but the AVA will knock on your door sooner than u think...
Old 02-07-2003, 09:53 AM   #29
Terentius™

Quote:

Although they cost me $2 each, I'm getting a lot of satisfaction watching my little ranchus grow up. After just 2 months, they have doubled in size and still going strong. They're lousy ranchus (hope they're not reading this) but they bring me joy.

Thanks FYI bro..
thats very sweet of you.. and a true GF lover..

Me aint building a comm so soon .. juz to get a nice pair.. at keast they can keep each other company.

Still have lots to learn for GF..
Bro please do me a favour if.. you see any nice pieces can let me know..?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #30
Demekin

Quote:
What can I say? ? You're a rich man!

I suspect good pellets are more nutritious, won't cloud the water as much, and definitely more hygenic. According to Hikari, their frozen bloodworm has 6% protein (Chroma gf pellet has 60%!) and while 89% of the worm is made up of moisture. Duh. With advancement in technology, I think bloodworm should be a supplement instead of a main diet leow.
Worms can be supplement or main diet depends on size lah. If the fish small, dry food will not make it grow fast one lah. Pump worms and see result. Actually if you are talking about food or even protein, how much can a goldfish absorb in the actual fact ? I always believe in a good natural easy digestiable food to provide the main diet during the young age. Once grow to a size of 4" or so, then dried food as main but supplement with worms.

Ka ka lai lah, it's not so expensive if the fish is nice. Actually, how much are those chroma, ranchu lord ? how long can these dried food last for 8 fishes daily 2-3 feed ?