Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
nutx
Dragon

Default Koi Age

I came across this Charity Auction Site in Japan from another forum.

I'm not sure any dealer in Singapore is participating, but I do know the Malaysia Dealer, Yamakoshi is able to handle for you.
( I hope this is allowed in this foum for this reference to charity event)

Coming back to the topic of this thread.

http://www.echigo.ne.jp/~nishikigoi/auction.htm#1.

If you go thru all the photos, you will notice that there are koi in 26cm to 30+cm and being classified as Nisai (2才). Sansai (3才) at 40-50cm. Yongsai (4才) at 64cm even for high growth breed like Orange Ogon.

This is the original site from japan, and Japanese do not lie on the age!

Many local dealers claimed that they have Jumbo tosai, and you may encountered that your koi spawn on returning to your fgt or pond! This is because the koi is already mature as Nisai or Sansai even tho the size is 20+ to 30+, which the local Dealer claimed as JUMBO tosai.

So, next time when you came across any Jumbo Tosai...

Ask youself again....

1. Is the price right? (all dealers need to made money, they do not operate a Charity Farm). Japanese breeder depend on the spawn to survive for the whole year.
2. Is the Timing right? Spawing is usally between Apr/May to Aug/Sep. With greenhouse, the period can be extended. If you see a 30cm koi in Oct, do you think it is likely to land in Singapore at cheap cheap price?
3. Features of the koi.....there is no yardstick, but those who has been keeping fish (not necessary koi), you will probably know that the relatively size of eye, pectoral fin size, tail, etc can be use as a very rough guage.
4. Body shape or structure can also be use.....

But there is no scientific way to differentiate or identify age, and many will really based on Estimate and judgement, which will forever remain a mystery...

End of the day....you have to depend on the seller....
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
nutx
Dragon

I think some dealers are going to hammer me after this post...

but some is going to Thank me too!

(btw...certificate is just a paper with printing.....got it! )
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
BENG66
Dragon

But hobbyists will like you many many. Thanks for info, learn something from you.
BENG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Wilgan
Dragon

Interesting. Makes me feel better to know that even kois from Japan may take a long time to grow.

Or maybe some kois are better to let it grow slow to turn out well?
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
bingkla

good lesson for me bro...
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Sinubux

Very informative post.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
zealot

Thanks bro for sharing the link. Many nice kois. The Dainichis and Hoshikins are beautiful, I also like the Yagengi shiro, Nogami showa, Oya sanke, Marudo showa, Miyatora, Uonuma sanke

It appears from the link that most of the nisai below 30 cm are goshiki with some showas, male KHK and a few surprises as well. At the price I paid for my kois, if showas can reach 60cm I will be glad and I do not expect mine to ever reach 80 cm. However, I will be really sad if my nisai remains at 20+ to 30+ cm. But I do agree with Bro PB that it is rare to find tosai at 30cm in Oct.

I have made my mistakes when I first started and still learning. I guess is best to go and look around especially during year end or beginning of the year to see the various shipments of tosais, nisais, and it will be easy to appreciate what bro PB meant by judging from body structure, even coloration as well.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealot View Post
Thanks bro for sharing the link. Many nice kois. The Dainichis and Hoshikins are beautiful, I also like the Yagengi shiro, Nogami showa, Oya sanke, Marudo showa, Miyatora, Uonuma sanke

It appears from the link that most of the nisai below 30 cm are goshiki with some showas, male KHK and a few surprises as well. At the price I paid for my kois, if showas can reach 60cm I will be glad and I do not expect mine to ever reach 80 cm. However, I will be really sad if my nisai remains at 20+ to 30+ cm. But I do agree with Bro PB that it is rare to find tosai at 30cm in Oct.

I have made my mistakes when I first started and still learning. I guess is best to go and look around especially during year end or beginning of the year to see the various shipments of tosais, nisais, and it will be easy to appreciate what bro PB meant by judging from body structure, even coloration as well.
Bro...you are right...go around, and see for yourselves....and soon one will notice the differences.....

Of course having friends and exchanging experience and views helps too!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Very good info bro

Last edited by goldfish&koi; 05-04-2011 at 01:40 AM.
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
genesis

Thumbs up

Those kois in the fotos damn solid !