Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 21-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chleong View Post
I agree with you about the competition rules/standards which certain characteristic have to be conformed, however who should be the one to qualify such conformity? Individual, Public or Judges?

Are you saying that a fish that did not win but took part in a comp, can still qualified to be "Comp grade"? Would it not be a individual judgment?

So far, it is still an individual perception, that includes mine, what a comp grade is.

I would think that ultimately you have to qualify conformity against the standards. If the characteristics are clear and evident for all to see, there isn't much to dispute about.

Breeders or sellers can claim their fishes to be of comp grade, but it is ourself (buyer) who would evaluate the fishes whether they are comp grade or not?

Obviously, we (in local ranchu hobbyists) can't compete in AJRS, so we can't have our "comp grade" fishes evaluated by certified judges from AJRS. We can only entered our fishes in local or regional comps. If our fishes win in these local/regional competitions, can they be branded as "comp grade"? Bear in mind that our local/regional comp follow the AJRS standards very closely, does that mean the winning fishes in the local/regional comp can compare with those winning fishes from AJRS? I believed we all know the answer.

Throwing back the argument, a fish who have won a competition may not be "comp grade" becos the standard of the fishes in that comp could be very low. So we should compare the fish with standards of the comp rather than based on the track record of the fish (the track record still may mean something though).

Look at the link of the AJRS 2006 that Nazari has posted, the East Ozeki of Oya Class in the AJRS is a West Ozeki in it's own club/kai competition and the East Ozeki of the Oya Class of that club/kai comeptition is nowhere to be found in the AJRS (if I'm not wrong). It can be shown that there are different views/preferences in different judges (I believed that most judges values some characteristics more heavily than other characteristics and therefore in a way not entirely "unbiased").

I believed this is another of those very subjective topic/issue which will not have a clear definition/answer.
pykoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
chleong
Dragon

Sorry Bro PYKoh,
It is not an argument but a discussion.

Agree, it is up to individual to decide whether it is a comp grade or not.
chleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
tygerlim

Conclusion is the buyer must at least know the comp grade standard and its "up to him" to see and judge the fish he intends to buy.

If he enters a show with the fish he had bought, then he lets "the others" which is the qualified judges to judge his fish.
Old 21-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chleong View Post
Sorry Bro PYKoh,
It is not an argument but a discussion.

Agree, it is up to individual to decide whether it is a comp grade or not.
Right right, it is just my figure of speech. Not really an argument.
Old 21-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
chleong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh View Post
Right right, it is just my figure of speech. Not really an argument.
No worries, but I am glad at least comments and opinions coming in.
Old 21-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
and

I don know if I m right, but GF comp should have the same requriements as other pet comp(dogs) I think it should an internaional standard to keep up with, and for the fish owners, they should be able to know what r the standards that can actually register for the comp. anyway, this is only what i felt, no hard feelings
Old 21-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #17
pykoh
Dragon

For other fish species, they have international body (e.g. IBC for betta and IFGA for guppy) to clearly state the standards/rules of the competition. Nothing is left to be interpreted by the competitors/hobbyists.

However, this does not seems so for Top View Ranchu. I have posted a link from the Malaysian Ranchu Club on an article by Geert Coppen on Nichiran standard for TVR. It seems like the standards quite loose and a lot of things are left to the interpretations of hobbyists/competitors.

http://www.malaysiaranchuclub.com/St...perfection.htm
Old 22-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #18
tygerlim

Comp grade or no comp grade I still love my GF because they are both clumsy and beautiful..like little flower ball swimming in the tank.
Old 22-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
chleong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh View Post
For other fish species, they have international body (e.g. IBC for betta and IFGA for guppy) to clearly state the standards/rules of the competition. Nothing is left to be interpreted by the competitors/hobbyists.

However, this does not seems so for Top View Ranchu. I have posted a link from the Malaysian Ranchu Club on an article by Geert Coppen on Nichiran standard for TVR. It seems like the standards quite loose and a lot of things are left to the interpretations of hobbyists/competitors.

http://www.malaysiaranchuclub.com/St...perfection.htm
I guess that is why the term "Comp grade" can be easily used as there are no clear definition. Therefore, "comp grade" is totally a grey area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerlim View Post
Conclusion is the buyer must at least know the comp grade standard and its "up to him" to see and judge the fish he intends to buy.

If he enters a show with the fish he had bought, then he lets "the others" which is the qualified judges to judge his fish.
Since the absence of a system to determine "comp grade" the result will be as mentioned by bro Tygerlim as "up to him" standard.

So to all bros, should you be told of "comp grade" remember, there is no define areas and ultimately it is up to you to decide the quality.
Old 22-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
pykoh
Dragon

Bro CH,

You pretty much summed up everything. I agreed with your comments whole heartedly in your posting above.