Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 05-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #121
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Wow bro... this is too technical for me

Is it a must to get BCA approval when we build a pond in landed property? Can’t we just dig and build as we like?
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #122
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Wow bro... this is too technical for me

Is it a must to get BCA approval when we build a pond in landed property? Can’t we just dig and build as we like?
BCA part is for the whole project as I am building a new house on the empty land. Gotta plan some details in as the pond is next to the house. PE need to account for the trenches when doing the column footers and ground beams.

As for building pond on land where house is already done, if the hole end up more than 1.5m deep then need by right need PE to submit details. By left as long as no damage to neighbour, ppl don't care. My current pond is scraping the limit. One way to increase depth without getting PE involved is to do half in half out pond.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #123
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

It would be more correct to say that the pond is actually partially under the house and driveway. When done, it will be 80% shaded. Long filter pit will be exposed, but the airlift exhaust will keep it nicely cooled.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #124
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Lots of changes, but design almost final. No more airlift. Cost to pile and dig so deep to build it is a bit mad. I could run a super powerful pump for a few years and not recoup savings on reduced energy use...

Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #125
jason1202
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
BCA part is for the whole project as I am building a new house on the empty land. Gotta plan some details in as the pond is next to the house. PE need to account for the trenches when doing the column footers and ground beams.

As for building pond on land where house is already done, if the hole end up more than 1.5m deep then need by right need PE to submit details. By left as long as no damage to neighbour, ppl don't care. My current pond is scraping the limit. One way to increase depth without getting PE involved is to do half in half out pond.
BCA submission for Earth Retaining Super Structure will cost alot and it takes alot time for them to approve. Min 3 months.

Also, if nearby structure is to move just a bit, it will be a huge nightmare.

Do take note of the general contractor insurance coverage. Just in case.
jason1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #126
FanAromatic
Dragon

You have done a lot of research, planning and work, other than deep pocket. It is impressive !!
I enjoyed see all these done. Keep all of us update.

Cheers !!!
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #127
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1202 View Post
BCA submission for Earth Retaining Super Structure will cost alot and it takes alot time for them to approve. Min 3 months.

Also, if nearby structure is to move just a bit, it will be a huge nightmare.

Do take note of the general contractor insurance coverage. Just in case.
We need to do the ERSS in front, pond or not as the slope we are cutting into is 6m high. It is as such a sunken cost for developing this plot. Submission going to go out next week.

Filter design plan. Think of it as a 30ft long sump

This is the mechanical separation stage and secondary bio. Primary bio is hidden behind the waterfall, and is half upflow and half bakki shower.

Old 14-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #128
jason1202
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
We need to do the ERSS in front, pond or not as the slope we are cutting into is 6m high. It is as such a sunken cost for developing this plot. Submission going to go out next week.

Filter design plan. Think of it as a 30ft long sump

This is the mechanical separation stage and secondary bio. Primary bio is hidden behind the waterfall, and is half upflow and half bakki shower.

The design looks good. I think can incorporate a little more into you huge sump. There are some design out there to help trap dirts by guiding it to on side of the whole system. This helps easier cleaning.

Another type is more of a backwash system. Those use for swimming pool. Easy to maintain and it is used frequently by those giant ocean aquarium.
jason1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #129
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Wow... totally lost in understanding your design too complicated for me

I still prefer to see pictures of how this is built
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #130
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1202 View Post
The design looks good. I think can incorporate a little more into you huge sump. There are some design out there to help trap dirts by guiding it to on side of the whole system. This helps easier cleaning.

Another type is more of a backwash system. Those use for swimming pool. Easy to maintain and it is used frequently by those giant ocean aquarium.
The elevated area in the center is for mounting rotary drum filters that will separate particulates from the water down to 50 microns. Fully automatic backwash. This is not as fine as the sand filters used by pools, but will work on gravity alone. This means that there is no need for a huge horsepower high pressure pump which is a basic requirement for a sand filter.

As long as the machinery is working, this system is practically no maintenance. Still got to eyeball once every few weeks to check the mechanical parts of course.

Big upside is no brushes, no mats to clean (and no maintenance contract to pay). The drum filters are all user serviceable as long as you have spare parts on hand. Indirectly this contributes to a more stable pond environment as 50 micron particulates will not settle out and dirty a waterfall, or choke a shower filter.