Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
FD3S
Dragon

Default Goldfish culling info needed

Hi guys,

Collected a small number of oranda eggs sometime last month, so far the fries are doing fine, but I'm running out of space so I need to cut the numbers. At what age should we cull for tails that are not split?

Any help gladly appreciated.

Rgds.
FD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Hi guys,

Collected a small number of oranda eggs sometime last month, so far the fries are doing fine, but I'm running out of space so I need to cut the numbers. At what age should we cull for tails that are not split?

Any help gladly appreciated.

Rgds.

how old are they? if is less then 1month jus cull off all the deform ones. as for the tail part i think when you can see the tail clear enough and confirm the tail is not split then you can cull them off.

sorry english not good dun know you can understand what i trying to say or not sorry.
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
FD3S
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish&koi View Post
how old are they? if is less then 1month jus cull off all the deform ones. as for the tail part i think when you can see the tail clear enough and confirm the tail is not split then you can cull them off.

sorry english not good dun know you can understand what i trying to say or not sorry.
Jason,

They are 22 days after their first hatching.

I've already culled the deformed ones at 2 weeks old, and taken out as many single anal finned as I can make out, but it's not a lot. The majority seems to be joint at the caudal, I'm wondering if their caudal will split somemore or what I see now is what I'll get in future...?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Jason,

They are 22 days after their first hatching.

I've already culled the deformed ones at 2 weeks old, and taken out as many single anal finned as I can make out, but it's not a lot. The majority seems to be joint at the caudal, I'm wondering if their caudal will split somemore or what I see now is what I'll get in future...?

22days i think is still very small right? will split some more or not i think is hard to say but i think wait for 1.5month old then cull from the tail part that will let you have a clear view what you fish grow up like.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
FD3S
Dragon

Ok thanks, bro, I'll keep them for another 3 weeks and see.

Old 14-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
FD3S
Dragon

Ok, they've grown bigger. I think they are reasonably sized. They first hatch on 19dec so that makes them 27days old.

I see little signs of their tails splitting, is this a bad spawn or do I have to grow them bigger before I can cull?

On a sidenote, this is one of my fav buggers, but he too does not have a properly fully split tail.

Any help/advice gladly appreciated.
Old 14-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
traders
Arofanatic

I wish I could help, but I have never breed goldfish before let alone culling.
But if you think it's too many and you want to give away some, please remember me
traders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
goldfish&koi
Dragon

good or bad spawn nv mind choose out the good one to grow them older and see what you get from this spawn. by the way good job bro FD3S
Old 15-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Nice batch of very well fed fries, can see lots of effort there to maintance the spawn.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
FD3S
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Nice batch of very well fed fries, can see lots of effort there to maintance the spawn.
LOL nothing doing, just feed and WC feed and WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traders View Post
I wish I could help, but I have never breed goldfish before let alone culling.
But if you think it's too many and you want to give away some, please remember me
If there are any reasonable ones I'll contact you, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish&koi View Post
good or bad spawn nv mind choose out the good one to grow them older and see what you get from this spawn. by the way good job bro FD3S
Thanks, guess i have to grow all of them older then I'll know what are the things to cull for. LOL