Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 14-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #61
Tetra Lovers
Arofanatic

Thanks Bro Calvin! Will make a trip to lfs to get it.
Tetra Lovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #62
plausible

i put two cups of sugar in the solution with 1tsp bicarbonate and 1tsp yeast and 1litre water in the 2litre diy coke bottle(cap)last me more than a month
Old 19-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #63
fireopal

DIY in coke bottle..
if the pressure builds up too fast... will have problems or not?
Old 19-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #64
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireopal View Post
eh...
but put more sugar.. will there be like lesser bubbles?
You must understand the process before you can "maximise" your DIY yeast. It took me a while last time before I got it right.

More yeast = more bubbles produced, but sugar will be used up faster.
More sugar = in theory, the mix will last longer. But what may happen is that after a while, the concentration of alcohol is so high that it kills the yeast so the excess sugar is wasted.

You need to experiment around and find out what suits you best. From my experience, I think that bicarbonate is very impt. It can really help extend the life of your mixture.

My longest mix lasted me about 35 days.
Old 19-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #65
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireopal View Post
DIY in coke bottle..
if the pressure builds up too fast... will have problems or not?
If you're using a flipper at the end, not a lot of pressure will build up. It should be fine.

But if you're using a ceramic diffusor, then you might want to be careful to seal the coke bottle properly. That's the hardest part, IMHO. After sealing, must take care not to anyhow bend/twist that part also.

DIY CO2 is strong enough to push through ceramic diffusors, but only the normal/simple type without the spiral.
Old 20-08-2007, 12:03 AM   #66
Tetra Lovers
Arofanatic

Hi All

Just want to check that when using the Nutrafin CO2 set, after the initial solution has ceased to produce CO2, must I emptied all the contents and replaced with new water, sugar, yeast and baking soda? Can I just add sugar, yeast and basking soda into the old contents?

Thanks to advise.
Old 20-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #67
coryfav
Dragon

I normally empty the old contents and rinse out the container, before filling up with fresh ingredients for the next cycle.

I feel that should be the better way to have the right amount of ingredients inside.
coryfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #68
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Lovers View Post
Hi All

Just want to check that when using the Nutrafin CO2 set, after the initial solution has ceased to produce CO2, must I emptied all the contents and replaced with new water, sugar, yeast and baking soda? Can I just add sugar, yeast and basking soda into the old contents?

Thanks to advise.
You have to empty out the old mix and make a completely new one. Can't just add. The alcohol inside will kill your yeast.
Old 20-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #69
Tetra Lovers
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryfav View Post
I normally empty the old contents and rinse out the container, before filling up with fresh ingredients for the next cycle.

I feel that should be the better way to have the right amount of ingredients inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locksley View Post
You have to empty out the old mix and make a completely new one. Can't just add. The alcohol inside will kill your yeast.
Many thanks bro coryfav and locksley for the reply!
Old 21-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #70
fireopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksley View Post
You must understand the process before you can "maximise" your DIY yeast. It took me a while last time before I got it right.

More yeast = more bubbles produced, but sugar will be used up faster.
More sugar = in theory, the mix will last longer. But what may happen is that after a while, the concentration of alcohol is so high that it kills the yeast so the excess sugar is wasted.

You need to experiment around and find out what suits you best. From my experience, I think that bicarbonate is very impt. It can really help extend the life of your mixture.

My longest mix lasted me about 35 days.
i added a little macdonald stirrer of yeast into my mix... and the thing took slightly more then a day to start fermenting....

yes, the alochol will kill the yeast at the end of it.. if only can find a way to remove alochol..