Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 27-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #21
kenpier

the bubble will become smaller as it progress upwards... the remaining will just bubble up the water...

The bubble will be affect if ur filpper is near the output of the filter... so place it somewhere out of direct current
Old 27-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
fireopal

icic..
its not near my filtration or any current system..
hope that the flow of bubbles will be smoother soon!
Old 27-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #23
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpier View Post
it does work but u need to give it time.. as there may be a bit oil on the surface of the plastic which bubbles will gather... as soon as it is off.. the bubbles will flow smoothly... it takes like 1.5days if u using the pack... as the bubbles are stable... as for DIY haven't try.. may go buy later to test it out as just brought the package for the filpper.... hehe...

one more thing ensure the thing is upright so the bubbles can follow the angle and bubble will move up wards
Actually you just need a few days for bacteria to form a film on the undersides of the flipper and the bubbles will flow smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlcw View Post
Start mixture bottles running at alternate weeks ( 1 mixture on 1st week and another on 2nd week). This should be able to straighten the CO2 linear output but quite troublesome to maintain it.
It will still be a curved output. There is no way to have a straight output for DIY/organic CO2, everyday the output level is changing. I did a test before and I can tell anyone with confidence that there is no way it can happen. I tried to connect 2 (and once, even 3) Nutrafin cannisters together and mix them in different batches (time intervals) and the output is continually variating.

The only way to prevent this is to get a good CO2 regulator on a pressurised CO2 cylinder. Note that even some regulators vary their output on their own over time.
Old 27-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #24
fireopal

thanks for clarification..
anyway update on flipper..
bubbles able to get up higher in the flipper..
not so much stuck
Old 28-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #25
Barra21

Bro dun worry about it. As the other bros have stated, just wait a few more days for the bacteria to drow on the flipper to make it "slimy" and the bubbles will flow nicely. Anyway if u do diy, pls dun fill so full. to prevent the stuff from going into the tank. also a check valve isnt really that necessary i feel. if the yeast is constantly producing co2 i dun really see a need to put check valves. It only cause more pressure build up at the valves and in the bottle.
Old 28-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #26
fireopal

just saw this morning..
the flow of the bubbles is pretty smooth liao!
Old 28-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #27
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra21 View Post
Bro dun worry about it. As the other bros have stated, just wait a few more days for the bacteria to drow on the flipper to make it "slimy" and the bubbles will flow nicely. Anyway if u do diy, pls dun fill so full. to prevent the stuff from going into the tank. also a check valve isnt really that necessary i feel. if the yeast is constantly producing co2 i dun really see a need to put check valves. It only cause more pressure build up at the valves and in the bottle.
At the later stages of the fermentation, the concoction will actually, at times, draw back air from the tubing and in the process draw in the tank water.

A check valve costs only a dollar or two, its a piece of equipment that shouldn't be saved on.
Old 28-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #28
fireopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
At the later stages of the fermentation, the concoction will actually, at times, draw back air from the tubing and in the process draw in the tank water.

A check valve costs only a dollar or two, its a piece of equipment that shouldn't be saved on.

thanks for the info!!

think i should have a piece of check valve somewhere to prevent back flow!
Old 28-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #29
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireopal View Post
thanks for the info!!

think i should have a piece of check valve somewhere to prevent back flow!
If you can, get a bubble counter as well. Makes a complete set. Although the flipper has a similar function as the counter to, well, count the output in bubbles, the bubble counter itself serves as a buffer in case of backflow as well as it can take in some of the backflow so don't fill the thing up to 100%. Just fill the counter bubble to 50-60% is good enough. If you see the level rising, you know the backflow is happening.
Old 28-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #30
fireopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
If you can, get a bubble counter as well. Makes a complete set. Although the flipper has a similar function as the counter to, well, count the output in bubbles, the bubble counter itself serves as a buffer in case of backflow as well as it can take in some of the backflow so don't fill the thing up to 100%. Just fill the counter bubble to 50-60% is good enough. If you see the level rising, you know the backflow is happening.
how to connect?
first from canister to check valve?
then to bubble counter is it?