Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 AM   #41
ryzcris

Quote:
Originally Posted by macross
I'm going to try the below formula as well for my 2.5ft planted

1.5 litres coke bottle
about 2/3s full of water
2-3 table spoonfuls of sugar
1 table spoonful of glucose
1/2 cupful of rice uncooked
1/4 teasoonful of yeast

Just need a few clarifications,
1) what is glucose?
2) any specific brand of yeast? heard there is fresh one and dry ones ??

Thanks
Glucose is almost the most readily available source of energy fior the yeast to utilise... the table sugars we usually use is sucrose... that has to be brioken down in a simple step before it can be utilised by the yeast... its not a big deal actually... without glucose can do fine too...

As for yeast any bakers yeast will do.
Not baking soda... but yeast...1/4 teaspoon is more than enough...
can even reduce by half.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #42
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_sg
I didn't realise there's are those. Can you point me to the supermart that carries it? And if possible the brand? Might want to check them out when I hit the supermart the next time. thanks.
i saw it at a number of NTUCs, Cold Storage and at Giant. It's more expensive and I personally do not encourage it, though it's supposedly better than a normal bottle of yeast where you open and close often enough to have moisture weaken it's ability, albeit after long months I reckon.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01 AM   #43
[C]irRuS

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzcris
Glucose is almost the most readily available source of energy fior the yeast to utilise... the table sugars we usually use is sucrose... that has to be brioken down in a simple step before it can be utilised by the yeast... its not a big deal actually... without glucose can do fine too...

As for yeast any bakers yeast will do.
Not baking soda... but yeast...1/4 teaspoon is more than enough...
can even reduce by half.
ryzcris always sound so knowlegeable hahha
actually after one whole nite of thinking, i also draw the conclusion that i had added too much yeast hehe
i wil try again tonight
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #44
ryzcris

Quote:
Originally Posted by [C]irRuS
ryzcris always sound so knowlegeable hahha
actually after one whole nite of thinking, i also draw the conclusion that i had added too much yeast hehe
i wil try again tonight

Hehehe... no lah not knowledgeable lah...
i cuz I kenna the same problems before as well...
hahaha...
its all trial and error then try to justify why...
haha...
Old 11-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #45
[C]irRuS

Talking

Last night actually i did smthing to my co2 container. Actually i thought that it might be the alcohol content too high thts why it stops bubbling
then i pour out all the water (and alcohol) then pour in new water and yeast then add water without addin or changin the rice...
this morning i woke up, nothing happen ... Then i start thinking izit bcuz of too much yeast tht causes it to stop bubblng so quickly...
but when i am back rom camp this evening i saw it bubbling like crazy again...
hahahaahha
Old 12-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #46
macross

Try the kit as recommended without the glucose, with wooden air-stone.

At first (after 4 hours) it didn't work and found out that the glue-gun's glue does not stick to the bottle cap and tube (I use the cheapo transparent ones)....

In desperation, I stuck blue tac all over the tube/cap area and it's bubbling now....

Question: Will too much CO2 harm the fishes? Is there something I need to measure to make sure the fishes are ok? I've got platy and neon tetra in there.

Thanks guys.
Old 13-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #47
[C]irRuS

Talking

Quote:
Try the kit as recommended without the glucose, with wooden air-stone.

At first (after 4 hours) it didn't work and found out that the glue-gun's glue does not stick to the bottle cap and tube (I use the cheapo transparent ones)....

In desperation, I stuck blue tac all over the tube/cap area and it's bubbling now....

Question: Will too much CO2 harm the fishes? Is there something I need to measure to make sure the fishes are ok? I've got platy and neon tetra in there.

Thanks guys.
Though I am not sure if lotsa c02 will harm the fishe, but i am pretty sure that alot of co2 will cause changes in ph...
As for fish exposing to too much c02, i think that when plant make food with co2 (photosynthesiz), they also produce lotsa oxygen for your fish hehee
Old 21-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #48
macross

funny, I followed the formula but the bubbling stop after 1 week.... ??

Any suggestions bros ?
Old 22-10-2005, 10:31 AM   #49
ryzcris

Quote:
funny, I followed the formula but the bubbling stop after 1 week.... ??

Any suggestions bros ?

Change the contents or check if there is a leak. Mine at optimum lasted one month.towards the end the bubbling gets less intense. Vary the amount of ingredients. Don't add too much yeast in the beginning. Just a LITTLE bit can liao...
Old 23-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #50
[C]irRuS

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzcris
Change the contents or check if there is a leak. Mine at optimum lasted one month.towards the end the bubbling gets less intense. Vary the amount of ingredients. Don't add too much yeast in the beginning. Just a LITTLE bit can liao...
wah!!! "same people different life" haha
i had use very little yeast this time round
about the tip of a teaspoon but bubbling juz stop in a week
btw your half cup of rice... is which type of cup bro...
hehee