Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Henry

Smile Koi Food - Hikari

Hi,

May I know bros keeping Koi feed mainly on what brand of food ?
How about Hakari - Wheat Germs & Hikari - Spirulina ?

Which one is more popular ?

Thank you.

Last edited by Henry; 04-06-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Alex CHew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
Hi,

Thank you.
I'm feeding my koi with a mixture Sakai wheat germs and colour food. Hikari is popular too, easily available & cheaper. It depends on what kind of koi u keeping. Wheat germs will improve their Shiroji (white) while Spirulina are meant to improve Hi (red).
Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex CHew View Post
I'm feeding my koi with a mixture Sakai wheat germs and colour food. Hikari is popular too, easily available & cheaper. It depends on what kind of koi u keeping. Wheat germs will improve their Shiroji (white) while Spirulina are meant to improve Hi (red).
Hi Akex,

Thx for yr feedback. I was told Spirulina is better by many people, but did not tell me abt the colours for each type.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Alex CHew

Quote:
Hi Akex,

Thx for yr feedback. I was told Spirulina is better by many people, but did not tell me abt the colours for each type.
If you are keeping mostly Gosanke, ie. Kohaku, Sanke & Showa....Spirulina is a must. However, too much of it will also cause the white to turn yellowish. As for the others, ie. Shiro, yamabuki, any colour koi other than red.....they may cause red pigment. Having said that, it all depends on the quality of the Koi as well.

As a guide, normally others will mix about 10-20% of colour food with wheat germs. I mix 50% at the moment as I'm pumping them up, so that my Koi will not loose it's colour or over-stretched as it grows too fast. The down side is most of their Shiroji is turning yellow. Will stop it soon and feed only wheat germs for the next few months for it to recover.

Hope this info helps. Cheers!!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Lex
Dragon

Talking

I like the mix from Max KF..

Last edited by Lex; 04-06-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
ahpek_lion
Dragon

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.
dun feed fish wheat germ cos i noticed it will grow rather slowly. I like feeding hikari spirulina cos it realli brings up the fish colour.

In addition, i feed hikari hi-growth to increase the head size and body height of the fish (girth) .... cos if feed hikari spirulina alone, the fish grows only in length but girth still small den wont look nice
ahpek_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpek_lion View Post
dun feed fish wheat germ cos i noticed it will grow rather slowly. I like feeding hikari spirulina cos it realli brings up the fish colour.

In addition, i feed hikari hi-growth to increase the head size and body height of the fish (girth) .... cos if feed hikari spirulina alone, the fish grows only in length but girth still small den wont look nice
Bro...your food very powerful...can help to develop specific body of the koi....

I believed that the koi has to be Good first, before any food is able to bring out the quality and attribute of the koi.

All food has it's own benefit, depending on price range, and the objective.
In general, High protein food contribute to growth, while high spirulina food contribute to colour enhancement.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
alvin wang

hw about sinking and floating type food? both color and growth food..... heard sinking growth food is better as make the body stronger??? can advise?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Wilgan
Dragon

Think FD for growth would be the best. Many swear by it. Sakai for colour would be good. Sinking food are more concentrated as compared to floating. Hikari Excel is good too.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
yamabuki

use saki hikari hi growth(M) for my gold fishes and other mix fish. buy them by the 2 kg bags not very economical. If any one interested in sharing 15 kg bag split half