Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 26-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Aro-monkey
Dragon

Default Altum angel - diary

4 weeks ago I picked up 45pcs of Altum from a LFS . They are bigger than 20cent coin size , pretty much stock up and quarantined by local farm, and they looks stable with minor burnt fins .

I load them all to a 180x75x75 tank with ph 4.2, almost zero hardness black water. Fishes are happy and eating well.

I do wc 20% everyday with similar water parameter, only wool is used in the whole filter system.

6th day , found 30% fishes are with fin burnt and slight slime coated .
I did not dose any treatment , just keep monitoring the water condition closely.

10th day , 30% fishes are fins badly burnt and heavily slime coated . The other 70% start to have light slime coat. Decided to play the wait and see game ... Just keep the wc routine ...

15th day , 80% fishes crowded at one corner , cramp fins , heavily slime coated ... Fishes still eating but much lesser . I dosed pimafix and melafix , total dosage 70% of instructed ...

18th day, body slime start to reduce after 3 days of medication ... Fishes swimming around again ...stop the medication .

20th day , all fishes are with very slight slime coated , 20% of fishes start swimming in stretched posture ( with shorter finnage)

30th day ....today , still having slight slime coated on body fishes eating very well .... Swimming around ... Some of their fins start re grow

I'm thinking .... Since they are not getting worse or better , logically should wait and see ... Rather than dose in medication ...

Or any experienced bro can share with me your other view ...
Aro-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
bettafish
Arofanatic

If they've been used to S'pore water you might not need such low pH of 4+. Maybe pH 6 might be good enough.
I'll try using some salt n the $2.50 yellow powder when I see slime. Will also. raise the temp to 30*C to raise the fishes metabolic rate.
bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Aro-monkey
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish View Post
If they've been used to S'pore water you might not need such low pH of 4+. Maybe pH 6 might be good enough.
I'll try using some salt n the $2.50 yellow powder when I see slime. Will also. raise the temp to 30*C to raise the fishes metabolic rate.
Thanks for sharing !
Not sure about the dosage of the yellow powder ( info on packaging is all in japs)
Old 27-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
bettafish
Arofanatic

To me, if I'm having 45 pics of altum and they start sliming, I'll definitely take proactive action. Yellow powder -half pack as a precaution is not a lot for your tank size. By 3rd day, I'll take action and not wait for tenth day ...
bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Aro-monkey
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish View Post
To me, if I'm having 45 pics of altum and they start sliming, I'll definitely take proactive action. Yellow powder -half pack as a precaution is not a lot for your tank size. By 3rd day, I'll take action and not wait for tenth day ...

Thanks again.

What motivated me to wait and see is , there are fishes among those are showing faster recovery, beside burnt fins , they looks simply fully recovered ... I'm hoping and curious if whether the other also catching up on recovery too .
Old 27-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
patclay
Dragon

Thumbs up

45 altums! Wow! When they grow up will be impressive sight. All the best and hope they are all healthy.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Aro-monkey
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclay View Post
45 altums! Wow! When they grow up will be impressive sight. All the best and hope they are all healthy.
Thanks bro
Old 28-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
CheckerBox
Dragon

Hi bro,

It may help if you could post a pic of their current condition. Will help in giving u the proper advice.
CheckerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Aro-monkey
Dragon

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerBox View Post
Hi bro,

It may help if you could post a pic of their current condition. Will help in giving u the proper advice.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Many thanks in advance !
Old 29-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Aro-monkey
Dragon

Yesterday, decided to start a round of furan2 treatment ...