Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 13-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
BTGH
Dragon

Default Toilet ceiling water leakage - condo

What can you do to your upstairs neighbour if they totally bo chup the issue of ceiling leakage in the master toilet? Have complained a few times to the MC, they have came to check and confirmed its something the upstairs unit have to resolve but they simply don't want to do anything (I think the owner is not staying there".

The fxxked up MC people also sent an official letter to the registered owner of the unit above,cc me the letter. Basically it states such inter-unit leakage issues have to be resolved between the unit owners, not their issue And best of all, the contact details I provided them before they also wrote wrongly!

The official way is to make a submission to the Strata Title board for mediation, and cost to make a submission itself is already like $500.

Damn sian....

Contemplating shutting off their water supply and then welding the valve shut!
BTGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
millenium
Senior Dragon

Bro, either u use law against them, or u can talk to them nicely then offer 50/50 to fix the leakage. Can u roughly guess where the leakage is from?
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Robson
Arofanatic

They are not inconvenience by the leak, why would they want to pay 50%?
Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson View Post
This is what some did and succeed to solve the problem faster. I guess how to communicate with them may be a factor. There are some that pay 100% to do some short term water proofing.

For my own case, i need to force the management office to write the letter. When the upstairs owner contacted me, i managed to make her do the repair for the toilet. But second time when her balcony leaked, she played me out, dragged and secretly sold her unit. After that i managed to ask the mc to waterproof the leak area during the cyclical maintenance as it is next to the external wall.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
Robson
Arofanatic

The key problem to the owner upstairs is that the repair will create major havoc to his unit. The hacking of tiles will cause entire house to be damn dusty on top of the noise, cost and inconvenience of cannot use the toilet.
Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
BTGH
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
Bro, either u use law against them, or u can talk to them nicely then offer 50/50 to fix the leakage. Can u roughly guess where the leakage is from?
its the upstairs toilet/kitchen area. guess will have to use the LAW since the owners don't stay there and have been avoiding responsibility for quite a while already
Old 14-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
BTGH
Dragon

Quote:
The key problem to the owner upstairs is that the repair will create major havoc to his unit. The hacking of tiles will cause entire house to be damn dusty on top of the noise, cost and inconvenience of cannot use the toilet.
actually it may not be the case, depending on the source of leakage. If its just due to water proofing layer damage at small locations, then repairs can be done with new techniques in the market. However if its due to leakage from pipe joints concealed in concrete, then will have no choice but to hack the tiles.
Old 14-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
BTGH
Dragon

Quote:
based on BCA rules, the upper floor unit is 100% liable for leaks to the lower unit, unless it can be proven the leaks are not coming from the upper floor
Old 15-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
mictok
Dragon

The only way to deal with private rental unit is making a submission to the Strata Title board for mediation and absorb the cost, very effective I must say.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTGH View Post
based on BCA rules, the upper floor unit is 100% liable for leaks to the lower unit, unless it can be proven the leaks are not coming from the upper floor
Happened to me at my old place.
The same nonsense and no action by upstairs neighbour.
Things got moving only when I sent a mail citing all the BCA regulations and possible consequences to management and neighbour.

Management quickly arranged for a waterproofing company to come and check. End up really was their issue. Apparently when they did their renovations, the terrace water proofing wasn’t done properly. So whenever rain or they decide to water their plants/wash balcony, my living room below will get it.
Based on that, neighbour no more arguments. Re-did their waterproofing and repaired my damaged false ceiling.
Whole thing dragged for more than a year.

Last edited by elimmel; 15-04-2019 at 02:31 PM.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote