Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 23-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #11
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong
Bro Vic,

When ppl say this young fish is a full gold meaning this fish when grow up will become a full gold arowana. So my definition is the eventual base color and core color is the same, which is gold color. The base color of the young fish is unlikely deep color but may or may not be gold then.
This sound logical

Quote:
When ppl say this young fish is a gold based xback meaning this fish when grow up will become a gold based arowana. So my definition is the eventual base color which is gold color. The young fish can have blue base, purple base etc then. .
Not the case...when farms say this is a gold based aro....then it should not have any other base colour beside gold. Based colour of the fish cannot change.

Quote:
But all Cross Backs have rim and base color separation. No such thing as no base color. Else, if you say "gold base" xback has no color base, then in the first place why ppl use Gold as an adjective to the base? Gold desribes the base. So there is a base and the color of the base is gold.
When I say no based colour I meant the core will eventually show gold based....but if u notice gold based aro when young doesnt show "gold" like others like green or blue...they are awefully unattractive.
Old 23-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert
Then is King Kong Pahang Gold or DFI Pahang Gold considered Full Gold or Gold based?

I rather not comment on this....

One of the ways to determine the based colour of the fish is to placed them in dark tank...for a couple of days...this will definitely bring out the base colour...all the truth will be out then.

I thing I am quite sure of...theres not alot of gold-based aro in the market.
Old 23-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkuan
Bro Vic,

What do u mean by unattractive? meaning the whole fish pale pale no colour?
yes...like poor quality XB....if placed in a LFS...most ppl will say these are lousy XB....and I dun mean those white fibre treated.
Old 23-02-2005, 04:44 PM   #14
fong
Dragon

Base colour or so call scale core color of cross back might change with time.. mainly to gold. When farm say this baby is a gold base aro, meaning it will become a gold base aro. It might not exhibit gold base at the time you buy it.

You can ask fisherman to switch off the lights for his gold base aro tank and see if the gold base turn blue boh.

You statement "Not the case...when farms say this is a gold based aro....then it should not have any other base colour beside gold. Based colour of the fish cannot change." not so correct.
Old 23-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #15
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Base colour or so call scale core color of cross back might change with time.. mainly to gold. When farm say this baby is a gold base aro, meaning it will become a gold base aro. It might not exhibit gold base at the time you buy it.

You can ask fisherman to switch off the lights for his gold base aro tank and see if the gold base turn blue boh.

You statement "Not the case...when farms say this is a gold based aro....then it should not have any other base colour beside gold. Based colour of the fish cannot change." not so correct.

Since when based colour of the fish can change?? like from blue to green?? or from blue to gold??

I think ur confused with lighting and based colour....some light blue XB when placed in a bright tank shows differently when used with different type of light...e.g. if used with Arcadia yellowish light will show Full Gold. However if u used Nan light it will show slight purplish.

So does that mean the XB is changing base?? With light its full gold...without light then its blue based??

To correctly gauge the based colour of the fish....place them in a dark environment and see them WITHOUT light.
Old 23-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #16
fong
Dragon

1) There is scale rim and scale base. Gold Color starts from the rim. Slowly migrates to the base progressively starting from the rim. Isn't that changing of color?

2) The other color progression is the fish base color it already milky color when young and as it gets bigger, the base color deepens into gold. There is no migration of gold color from the rim to the core.

Either way, the fish can end up a gold base fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Since when based colour of the fish can change?? like from blue to green?? or from blue to gold??
Exactly. When the young fish is blue based it does not mean it will not be gold base when adult as explained above. So a gold base fish can have non gold base color when young. So ask yourself this question, are the cross backs in fisherman gold base cross backs? As you have said, shine different light see different results right? when off the light should show some light blue base color right?

But have you ever consider the fact that these crossbacks must have gold color pigment inorder to reflect the gold color? Although when you off the light the base color can be blue? So is it a blue base or gold base? i believe they are gold base crossbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
I think ur confused with lighting and based colour....some light blue XB when placed in a bright tank shows differently when used with different type of light...e.g. if used with Arcadia yellowish light will show Full Gold. However if u used Nan light it will show slight purplish. So does that mean the XB is changing base?? With light its full gold...without light then its blue based??
So what does that tell you? What color you see is what color you get when adult if your theory that the base color doesn't change? That is not a good way to tell if the fish will not be eventual gold base coz the base color will change once enuff color pigmentation is formed on the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
To correctly gauge the based colour of the fish....place them in a dark environment and see them WITHOUT light.
Old 23-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #17
fong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
thanks for the info. do u mind show some pics? Tks.
First pic show a gold base fish.. likely to be a full gold when adult.
2nd pic show a blue base fish.. likely to be gold base but not full gold when adult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold base.jpg (29.9 KB, 1363 views)
File Type: jpg blue base.jpg (36.0 KB, 1354 views)
Old 23-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #18
prodrive

Quote:
First pic show a gold base fish.. likely to be a full gold when adult.
2nd pic show a blue base fish.. likely to be gold base but not full gold when adult.
The second pic looks familiar... hehe. Fong, what lighting are you using for your XBs?

Old 23-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #19
fong
Dragon

Arcadia yellow light (daylight I think). Why second pic looks familar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrive
The second pic looks familiar... hehe. Fong, what lighting are you using for your XBs?
Old 23-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #20
vic
Dragon

Quote:
1) There is scale rim and scale base. Gold Color starts from the rim. Slowly migrates to the base progressively starting from the rim. Isn't that changing of color? .
Thats not changing of colour....its thickening of the fish frame. Happen to red aro as well...does that mean a blue based red will then be a red based then due to red rims thickening inward to base?? No. It will still be a blue based red...but with very thick frame. For XB its the same....thick framed but still blue/green based

Quote:
2) The other color progression is the fish base color it already milky color when young and as it gets bigger, the base color deepens into gold. There is no migration of gold color from the rim to the core.

Either way, the fish can end up a gold base fish..
The first case is a thick framed XB...becoming a full gold....the second case is a gold based XB....both different type. Dun confuse these hobbyist.

Quote:
Exactly. When the young fish is blue based it does not mean it will not be gold base when adult as explained above. So a gold base fish can have non gold base color when young. So ask yourself this question, are the cross backs in fisherman gold base cross backs? As you have said, shine different light see different results right? when off the light should show some light blue base color right? .
I dun know about the XB in FM....have not seen them upclose.

Quote:
But have you ever consider the fact that these crossbacks must have gold color pigment inorder to reflect the gold color? Although when you off the light the base color can be blue? So is it a blue base or gold base? i believe they are gold base crossbacks. .
Up to u to define loh....if i shine pink light u will still say its pink based?? Blue based is blue based....theres no running away from it...another sure way is to see the fish out of water.

U are judging the fish based by lights and in tanks....this is not accurate.

Fong, I think we should be teaching these young hobbyist the correct stuff...its important as they are unlikely to get correct/straight answer from other parties/farms/LFS for obvious reasons....so its important to post the correct information....with the many fancy names by the farm already confusing the market this is the last thing they need from a old bird like u.

Pardon my outspokeness.