Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 10-02-2003, 03:30 AM   #11
kentfon

Quote:
Originally posted by snuffalapagues
i use a overhead with charcoal, ceramic rings, i add fish guard and blackwater with a little bit of salt after every water change
no know if the cloudy water will affect my aro
Hi

U mentioned the tank was a cycled tank and that u have charcoal & ceramics ring in there hmmm...was wondering..how long was yr charcoal introduce were they wash or soaked overnite in fresh water for recharged before after u have used it??

my advice is to take away the charcoal though they may be good at removing smells and also acts as a chemical remover wat could have resulted could be due to the charcoal releasing watever it has absorbed and bewarn it is pretty lethal.

Instead of charcoal my recommendation would be bio balls and bio rings that should do the trick of clearing up your cloudy water.

You may like to give it a try and then feed back the results and to get it to start up faster i recommend a dosage of bio8000 by Ocean free or any other BB activator to speed up the BB built up process.

All the best

Cheers!

Old 10-02-2003, 04:00 AM   #12
snuffalapagues

read from previous posts that it could be bb bloom! will remove the charcoal and add bb to the tank tmr......... sianz,,, hope my rtg will be fine, bb bloom will affect the fish???

Old 10-02-2003, 04:26 AM   #13
kentfon

Quote:
Originally posted by snuffalapagues
read from previous posts that it could be bb bloom! will remove the charcoal and add bb to the tank tmr......... sianz,,, hope my rtg will be fine, bb bloom will affect the fish???
in a way yes, due to the high nitrate presence

Old 10-02-2003, 03:14 PM   #14
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Hi snuffalapagues,

What you've just describe is a bacteria bloom in your tank. It may not just be the BB that bloomed, but also the rest of the other bacteria in your tank as well.

What caused this bloom is most likely due to upset of the microbial equilibrium of your tank and filter system. This upset probably came about when you cleansed your filter and change your filter wool, causing a massive destruction to the BB colony in there. Thus cloudiness in the water occurs as a result of the bacteria trying to re-establish their colonies in there.

What kentfon mention is correct, that you should monitor the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate level in your tank, as the biological filtration is not functioning now. If the safety levels have been breached, do a small partial water change of not more than 20%.

If you do a bigger water change at 50% or more, it'll take longer time for the BB to re-establish themselves, and prolong the cloudinesss of your water.

Cheers,

Kenny