Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 04-02-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Default Guide to proper pH probe maintenance

pH probes are sensitive equipment that should be given extreme care. They should not be subjected to knocks, extreme temperatures or corrosive chemicals.

Some tips for ensure maximum lifespan and accuracy.

Never allow glass probe to be dry either in storage or in use.
When the probe is dry, dissolved solids in the water will settle on the surface of the glass probe and "eat" into the glass causing inaccuracy or even kill the probe.

Never store the glass probe in tank water, tap water or deionised water.
These water are full of contaminants or very corrosive and prolong exposure to them will result in these contaminants coating the surface of the glass probe. Always store the glass probe submerged in potassium chloride solution or at least in pH7.00 calibration fluid.

Never calibrate with other fluids except the proper calibration fluid.
The readings on the pH meter is based on the calibration fluid accuracy. Most calibration fluid have an accuracy of at least pH0.001. If you use other fluids other than the proper one, you are introducing more errors into the readings.

E.g If the actual pH of a solution is pH6.5 but its stated as pH7, you try to calibrate the pH probe based on the written pH then the pH probe will be +pH0.5 off the actual pH. Every other readings later on will have an error of pH0.5.

Proper way to store a pH pen
Wash glass probe under tapwater after use
Flick the glass probe to get rid of excess water
Pour some pH7.00 calibration fluid in the cap
Replace the cap and ensure that some fluid overflowed. This will ensure that the glass probe is fully submerged.

Try to use the probe at least biweekly, this is to ensure that the calibration fluid wont get completely dry and promote pH monitoring

Using pH pen
Switch on the pH pen and give it a few shakes
Ensure reading is correct at pH 7.0. If reading is inaccurate, pour more calibration fluid into the cap and test again, the acceptable reading should be pH6.9 - pH7.1.
Do fine tuning to the probe
Wash it under tapwater and use
Store the probe using the proper method.
Old 13-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Grover Bond

Default Reply to subject

Hello and thanks for pointing out how to handle the PH probe.
I just bought one, made by Milwaukee. Model PH 51.they gave me two packets of buffer solution.One being PH 4.01 and PH 7.01

And there was a little card. It said ATENTION-- The instructions for PH 51-PH 52-PH53 instruct you to "remove the cap and immerse the unit in MA9015 storage solution for 2 hours" if you do not have MA9015 storage solution you may use [ bottle drinking water] or [ RO water instead. You should also store the unit with bottle water or RO water in the cap.
Later Unk Bond

Old 13-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover Bond
Hello and thanks for pointing out how to handle the PH probe.
I just bought one, made by Milwaukee. Model PH 51.they gave me two packets of buffer solution.One being PH 4.01 and PH 7.01

And there was a little card. It said ATENTION-- The instructions for PH 51-PH 52-PH53 instruct you to "remove the cap and immerse the unit in MA9015 storage solution for 2 hours" if you do not have MA9015 storage solution you may use [ bottle drinking water] or [ RO water instead. You should also store the unit with bottle water or RO water in the cap.
Later Unk Bond
I dont know why the manufacturer state that the probe can be stored in water. Storing in water will cause the probe to be sluggish and less sensitive to pH changes. Maybe the manufacturer have special probes that are not affected by these, the guidelines given above are just general care for most of the probes out there.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
tps550

Unhappy floating pen

Hi, i have just begin with a small set up of marine tank. One owner at pasir ris fish farm had recomend me to buy a floating pen with scale to measure the gravity of salt water.

However it seem that i could not get the satisfied reading even i have add half packect amount of marine salt to the water. And i have end up with a dead coral and a fish.

Should i get a ph probe, is there any basic set up require for marine tank? Any advice for beginner?

Old 03-05-2004, 12:53 AM   #5
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps550
Hi, i have just begin with a small set up of marine tank. One owner at pasir ris fish farm had recomend me to buy a floating pen with scale to measure the gravity of salt water.

However it seem that i could not get the satisfied reading even i have add half packect amount of marine salt to the water. And i have end up with a dead coral and a fish.

Should i get a ph probe, is there any basic set up require for marine tank? Any advice for beginner?
Looks like you are very lost, take a look at the Marine forum http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

And read deepend's article
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77883
Old 25-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
Looks like you are very lost, take a look at the Marine forum http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

And read deepend's article
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77883

D u know how to clean the probe .. mine got algae .. need to clean

Old 25-03-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
I dont know why the manufacturer state that the probe can be stored in water. Storing in water will cause the probe to be sluggish and less sensitive to pH changes. Maybe the manufacturer have special probes that are not affected by these, the guidelines given above are just general care for most of the probes out there.
Miwaukee's PH probe sometimes comes with crystalline deposits on the probe...probably the 2 hrs soaking is to neutralise or dilute the crystals before calibrating the probe for accuracy