Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 01-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #11
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

Yes. . I pull out from another tank and plant them. ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
You mean, you took the mc strand by strand and plant? I tore a piece into smaller pieces (abt 1") and tried to plant it. They either got uprooted or maybe just withered away. Mess up my tank.

Hmm ok, thank you for the advise, I may likely end up getting it if you didn't share this info.... cool 'temper' Mine is hot 'temper' as I'm not using chiller (expect it to hover between 28-30 degree).

Flame and spikey shd be fine. I have some Xmas moss and it's doing fine so far, nice shade of green but not growing much.
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #12
globalcookie
Dragon

A nice bro bring me go kai kai yesterday. Went to a farm (Pasir Ris) and bought some plants yesterday. Don't know what are the plants, as there are quite few types, and it includes APP, Narrow Fern, Flame Moss, and a few others. Very nice boss. Not so busy thus he can explain some things to me, including understanding some info of my tank and letting me know if the plants suits my tank.

Just gotten 2 tauhuey tubs of mini USF. Will try to get some Spikey moss these 2 days.

Will target to start tying them by late this week. Hopefully by then, the seedlings grows out. Scattered them on Saturday (2/1) afternoon. Exposing the seeds to about 16hrs light a day.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
globalcookie
Dragon

The carpet seedling starting to spout. Saw some greenies last evening and this morning.

Anyway, the tank is in such a sorry state currently (empty)

Here's the lovely driftwood I got from a really nice AF seller. Gotta go grab a roll of fish thread to secure the dw together

Will be filling up the tank tomorrow (if the carpet spout appears stable) and tying up plants to driftwood. Else will start with mini USF on lava rock given to me by our good lorkon.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
globalcookie
Dragon

As at last evening.... more spout... I should be able to fill up the tank tomorrow night, and let it cycle for a day (to rid chlorine and chloramine) before releasing my fishes back into the tank (mature canister). Gotta start planning how to tie the plants tonight and start work tomorrow and Fri. Hope to get everything up by end of this week.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #15
nutx
Dragon

what plant you want to tie to the wood?

I use glue which works well.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #16
globalcookie
Dragon

Glue? Hmm I never thought of that. Once it dries up, and having wash it before putting into tank, I guess it is safe?

I am not sure of the plants I bought. By large, there will be quite a lot of moss. I gotten some Flame moss, christmas moss, mini USF, and breaking some of the moss look with a few other plants such as narrow fern and if I'm not wrong, Pinnatifida and also APP. For carpeting, I scattered that carpet seedling (unknown for now).

Let me see if I can take photo of the plants when I am going to tie it up.

Generally, the tank runs on 216W lighting (4 x 54w), non chilled (will be getting 2 or 3 fans) and may use 3-4 BPS CO2..

On fans, not sure how to DIY with PC fan. I saw fans at an LFS and it isn't the PC fan type, but looks even smaller.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
nutx
Dragon

LFS is selling some glue at 1-2 per tube.

I use super glue also. No side effect on fish or plant.
Even moss, they use glue, and tear off the loose one...that's how they form the nicely wrap effect.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #18
globalcookie
Dragon

I'll mostly be using thread (brown or green color), those used for sewing. May consider glue too. In the past, I used thread and it doesn't dissolve over time, thus it's fine too, till the roots sits into the driftwood.

Been waiting impatiently for the carpet to spout. So tempted to fill up the tank tonight, but I'll discipline myself not to.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #19
elimmel
Senior Dragon

When you finally fill up the tank, blast your co2 and then gradually reduce till desired bps/ppm. Currently your plants have abundance of co2 and flooding the tank will reduce that. This change could result in melting or algae outbreak.
For planted tanks, patience is gold.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #20
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Add on: Reduce co2 over a period of time ...
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote