Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 16-08-2005, 01:56 AM   #91
loster

can't wait to receive my unit
Old 16-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #92
wlchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman
Do a test on the ORP probe with bonjour2 tonite.
We use a 475 mv solution and the ORP probe read 476mV.
Very accurate leh

Regards
Sherman
Woa...that's good... mine still at 344~346 never seems going up at all.
At least your probe can measure up to 450..we can use your probe as reference to compare with rest of the probe that we purchase liao.. since yours is only +/- 1...
Old 16-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #93
bonjour2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlchew
Woa...that's good... mine still at 344~346 never seems going up at all.
At least your probe can measure up to 450..we can use your probe as reference to compare with rest of the probe that we purchase liao.. since yours is only +/- 1...

wlchew , my advice is still to give an allowance of -+ 30mV for your probe. That should be the average of the bulk order probes. Sherman's probe is very lucky one I must say to be so precise...

Sherman , fyi ;

1) PH and ORP value are inversely related. PH up in the morning , ORP by right down , at night , PH down, ORP value UP .

2) However , do note that this is just one aspect of seeing chemistry. In fact , some studies have shown that in the ocean , when the sun comes up , ORP value will goes up due to the photosynthesis process in yr tank, which overwrites the first explanation .(Recalled reading from the web by Athiel some time back)It applys to your fish tank as well , which if u observe carefully , you will note that when yr lights comes on , ORP value will gradually increase w/o even the need for the Ozonizer to be in action at least thats what happen to my tank. IMHO , that is where the danger comes in . If you set the preset value to a high , says at 350mV, giving a allowance of say -+30mV , then what most likely to happen is that in the morning , yr tank may reach 350mV, and yr ozone off , but it isn't going to stop there .If yr light activities comes on , and photosynthesis activities starts , it may be so that you can reach 400mV and beyond w/o having the ozone operating.There fore if u can arrive at 390mV reading by morning , is a warning sign that u can easily hit above 400mV by noon .

3) A general guide to resolve this will be to start off the preset value at a lower range say 280mV. Observe in the noon or daylight activites after lights on for a few hrs to determine the difference (rise) in the ORP value. Then you will have a better ideas how to preset the ORP setting.

4) In any way if you are getting a new probe , please make sure that you prepare the probe overnight by dipping in distilled water prior to use. This is the industry std recommendation by probe manuafacturers. Some other tricks;
i) If reading from the ORP probe flutuates , give it a good shake to detach any bubble inside the probe from the metal contact.

5) Be extremely careful not to introduce residual Ozone into the tank as the water becomes so oxidative that it will harm yr fishes and corals.

Hope my info helps in a way.
Old 16-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #94
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman
Do a test on the ORP probe with bonjour2 tonite.
We use a 475 mv solution and the ORP probe read 476mV.

Very accurate leh

Regards
Sherman
Sherman .. like that better go and buy those colored balls from Spore Pools as the jackpot is $1.5M.
Old 16-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #95
bonjour2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
Sherman .. like that better go and buy those colored balls from Spore Pools as the jackpot is $1.5M.
Nim75sg , u out of yr mind from stress or wat? Always talking haywire things
Old 16-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #96
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Nim75sg , u out of yr mind from stress or wat? Always talking haywire things
Mostly likely the stress factor and that's why need to go off topic to create some "fun" otherwise get burnt out.
Old 16-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #97
bonjour2

Managed to dig up the info I was talking earlier , posted on the marine article.Please take some time to go through.
Old 16-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #98
wlchew

Quote:
wlchew , my advice is still to give an allowance of -+ 30mV for your probe. That should be the average of the bulk order probes. Sherman's probe is very lucky one I must say to be so precise...
Agree. I am using my own reading to do comparison.

my PH-203 ORP, I have set it to shut @338 since @344(my Milwaukee read 413) so on the SAFE side I tune to stop at "400" on my Milwaukee's reading which PH-203 reads 338 . So far so good.. my previous reading sync. I use this as my guideline..so it will never overdose in this case.
Old 16-08-2005, 10:11 PM   #99
sherman

Quote:

Sherman , fyi ;

1) PH and ORP value are inversely related. PH up in the morning , ORP by right down , at night , PH down, ORP value UP .

2) However , do note that this is just one aspect of seeing chemistry. In fact , some studies have shown that in the ocean , when the sun comes up , ORP value will goes up due to the photosynthesis process in yr tank, which overwrites the first explanation .(Recalled reading from the web by Athiel some time back)It applys to your fish tank as well , which if u observe carefully , you will note that when yr lights comes on , ORP value will gradually increase w/o even the need for the Ozonizer to be in action at least thats what happen to my tank. IMHO , that is where the danger comes in . If you set the preset value to a high , says at 350mV, giving a allowance of say -+30mV , then what most likely to happen is that in the morning , yr tank may reach 350mV, and yr ozone off , but it isn't going to stop there .If yr light activities comes on , and photosynthesis activities starts , it may be so that you can reach 400mV and beyond w/o having the ozone operating.There fore if u can arrive at 390mV reading by morning , is a warning sign that u can easily hit above 400mV by noon .

3) A general guide to resolve this will be to start off the preset value at a lower range say 280mV. Observe in the noon or daylight activites after lights on for a few hrs to determine the difference (rise) in the ORP value. Then you will have a better ideas how to preset the ORP setting.

4) In any way if you are getting a new probe , please make sure that you prepare the probe overnight by dipping in distilled water prior to use. This is the industry std recommendation by probe manuafacturers. Some other tricks;
i) If reading from the ORP probe flutuates , give it a good shake to detach any bubble inside the probe from the metal contact.

5) Be extremely careful not to introduce residual Ozone into the tank as the water becomes so oxidative that it will harm yr fishes and corals.

Hope my info helps in a way.
Thank You Bro.
Very useful info.
By the way where to get Hydrogen peroxide?

Regards
Old 16-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #100
sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
But not so lucky so far.
Otherwise will update my tank liao.

Regards