Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 21-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
ykeng

Default Seachem seagel chemical filtration

Hi, i have been using chemipure for my chemical filtration. My brown algae problem seems forever persisting since day 1. (into my 4th month of marine)

I suspect it could be due to phosphate. Can i verify if high phosphate level causes brown algae? I understand that it causes green algae but not too sure if it leads to the brown one.

If true, I might want to upgrade to seachem seagel as this chemical filtration also help in lowering the phosphate level (as claim by them).

Any bros here using seachem seagel ? any reviews?
Old 21-04-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykeng
Hi, i have been using chemipure for my chemical filtration. My brown algae problem seems forever persisting since day 1. (into my 4th month of marine)

I suspect it could be due to phosphate. Can i verify if high phosphate level causes brown algae? I understand that it causes green algae but not too sure if it leads to the brown one.

If true, I might want to upgrade to seachem seagel as this chemical filtration also help in lowering the phosphate level (as claim by them).

Any bros here using seachem seagel ? any reviews?
brown algae is almost always caused by silicates and not so much of phosphate.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
ykeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
brown algae is almost always caused by silicates and not so much of phosphate.
Thanks.
In that case, any addictive recommendation to curb silicates?
Old 22-04-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
nsyahron

I used Seachem Phosguard before, (Seagel is activated carbon + Phosguard), no change in my brown algae growth. Still going and going.......
Old 22-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
nim75sg

Rhowa Phos is another media which I had used but with little success and presently using Phosphate + Silicate Magnet.

Still monitoring the situation and you can check this out here: http://www.marcweissco.com
Old 22-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
ykeng

Hey guys keep the recommendation flowing in. Really hope to find some addictive to curb this silicate-brown algae problem.

my lights are on only 4-5hrs a day. i dun over feed, i top up with aged water mixed with nutrafin chlorine and chlorimide remover. But still, the brown algae persist.
Old 22-04-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
deep_end

ykeng,

In some cases, the brown algae (diatoms) seem to disappear mysteriouly, but this is normally in stable tanks. What you can do to reduce the occurence is to use RO or RO/DI water for your topups and water changes. This is cos silicates are usually introduced via your tap water, even after aging.
Old 23-04-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
nim75sg

It also comes with the feeds too ....
Old 12-05-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
Dirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_end
ykeng,

In some cases, the brown algae (diatoms) seem to disappear mysteriouly, but this is normally in stable tanks. What you can do to reduce the occurence is to use RO or RO/DI water for your topups and water changes. This is cos silicates are usually introduced via your tap water, even after aging.
wait if we use boiled water....
of coz making it cool first plus pumping air in....
will this help to reduce?
Old 14-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
deep_end

'fraid not, Dirtbiker

You can't get rid of silicates that easily. However, if your boiler was connected to a distiller, then you might be in business since distilled is basically pure. Just make sure they don't use copper condensation coils for the cooler section.