Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 08-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
hanifrez

Question Anyone use skimmers with timers ?

I'm planning to fix a special timer whereby the skimmer in my office tank will turn itself on every Monday and off by Fridays (to coincide with working hours). Reason I'm doing this is coz I noticed a faster water evaporation level if I left the skimmer on 24/7.

Anyone doing this sort of thing too ?
Old 09-05-2004, 03:00 AM   #2
eiki

IMO not a good idea. Can DIY a water top up system using a big container to handle evaporation.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:07 AM   #3
ReDDeviLs

can get tubby by someone at src.com
if you off the skimmer...the fish might die.. as the bioload will not be remove..
Old 09-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
hanifrez

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDDeviLs
if you off the skimmer...the fish might die.. as the bioload will not be remove..
Even if it's off for a couple of days ? What about the fact that I have a sump with bioballs etc ??
Old 09-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanifrez
Even if it's off for a couple of days ? What about the fact that I have a sump with bioballs etc ??
i think it depends on ur kind of setup.
IMO, if u hav the right setup, i dun think ur fishes will die in a couple of days w/o skimmer. but yet they might die if ur system is not proper.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:55 PM   #6
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanifrez
I'm planning to fix a special timer whereby the skimmer in my office tank will turn itself on every Monday and off by Fridays (to coincide with working hours). Reason I'm doing this is coz I noticed a faster water evaporation level if I left the skimmer on 24/7.

Anyone doing this sort of thing too ?
Its not recommended because skimmers will take some time to break-in before it can start skimming, this normally will take a day or 2. If you put the skimmer on timer, the skimmer will have 2-3days of break in time every week in addition to the weekend off.

That would mean that the skimmer will only be working for 2-3 days per week only.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:48 AM   #7
spsman

Default bad idea

Bro,
pls dun spoil your pump. Switching on and off is not an alternative, besides it does not save electricity. Skimmers are equipments that are run 24/7. like your chiller.
b.rgds
Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 AM   #8
slcw

well some ppl do not even use protein skimmers in there setup, yet it works.
if u r worried would still like a ps, use those air-pump types instead of venturi.

actually, 1 author mentioned it is good to "off" the ps once a while when cleaning the tank. this is to allow the needle head not t be clog up. any way u do need to wash the sponge or rinse the cup