Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 07-05-2004, 12:14 AM   #11
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon75
Thanks guys, u have been really helpful!! Anyway I noticed that u guys just left a compartment for the refugium. Am I right to say that you place live rocks in there and no filter medium?
some dun place LRs, they oni place algae...
Old 09-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #12
deep_end

typhoon75,

Usually the fuge section of the sump is filled with fine sand for a remote DSB. LR is placed on top of the sand, and various macroalgae are placed on the LR or pushed into the sand.

Try not to think of filter media as filter media - this is mostly a FO and FW concept and doesn't really apply that much in reef tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon75
Thanks guys, u have been really helpful!! Anyway I noticed that u guys just left a compartment for the refugium. Am I right to say that you place live rocks in there and no filter medium?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:46 AM   #13
KaLiB

An easier way would be to think of the refugium as a smaller tank within your sump. In there, you can add sand, liverocks and macroalgae.

Instead of keeping fish in there, most of us would use that place to grow pods and for growing macroalgae to control the nutrient level in the water.