Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
PNT Guy
Dragon

Default Advices and opinion needed for my setup

Advise or views needed for my 3ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft tank...
If there is a need for upgrade or add ons

-It is filled up to around 160L
-matured cycled tank
-In it are one 7"pnt, two 1" Cichlids and one 0.5" corydoras.
-pH usually ranges from 7.85-8.29, hard water, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrates 15ppm
-One internal filter with the outlet connected to a top filter filled up with oyster's shells, cc and lava rocks
-Two atman at3338 canister filter with the output of 1800L/hr max for each filter.
-Diet mainly on hikari turtle sticks.

-Every 15%/4days wc i treat the tap water with api stresscoat,
after letting it to age for at least day.And wc i add sodium bicarbonate,OF GH+, OF Himalayas natural pure crystal salt and add a little bioearth

Here is the pic of the canister set up....

Thanks for all the advices and opinion in advance cheers
PNT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
AlvinLeong
Dragon

I would not put the canisters in series as during maintenance, you will need to power off both of them.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
PNT Guy
Dragon

But during maintenance i service both of the canisters so... it does not matter...
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
AlvinLeong
Dragon

It will be better for you to service the canisters one at a time as it will reduce the impact on the population of the BB.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
giantbetta
Dragon

i would rather using each sets on it's own.. i would set up each canister on each side of the tank.like wat bro Alvin said is true, better wash 1 canister at the time to prevent lost of BB.
giantbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Jeffers

yes you will want to wash one cannister one week then the other the next or next month even. also i wouldnt suggest using them in series as if the first gets cloged you will run the second empty and this will shorten the life of the cannisters alot.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
locksley77

With different layers of media fo each cannister, it is almost 100% sure that the flowrate input and output is different for the two canisters.

Whichever has the slower flowrate will have more tear and wear on the motor and blades.

Not a good way to connect them in series. You will have more damage to ur equipments.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
Melson

I agree with above suggestions.

I wudn't prefer to link 2 canisters, as you can obviously see why from our bros comment.

what I concern fm my input is your media arrangement. put your bio media before mechanical media is not recommended. Your bio media such as bio home, micromec will clog super fast.

I suggest for the first layer you can put ceramic ring as mech/bio media and disburse water evenly to next layer.

then you can put sponge/fine wool in second layer. pls note in mind that quality of wool itself can affect how fast it clogs.

you can put full of bio media to next 3 layers, so you got mech filtered water that flow through bio media. this wud ensure your bio media long lasting fm clogging.

pls note that clogged bio media, wud slightly decrease its surface capacity for BB to cultivate.

just my humble opinion
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
PNT Guy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinLeong View Post
It will be better for you to service the canisters one at a time as it will reduce the impact on the population of the BB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbetta View Post
i would rather using each sets on it's own.. i would set up each canister on each side of the tank.like wat bro Alvin said is true, better wash 1 canister at the time to prevent lost of BB.
When ever i service my filters i will always add bb powder back to the system and no wc for around at least a wk. So i don't think it matters a lot.
Just my humble opintion. Thanks for all of your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers View Post
yes you will want to wash one cannister one week then the other the next or next month even. also i wouldnt suggest using them in series as if the first gets cloged you will run the second empty and this will shorten the life of the cannisters alot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locksley77 View Post
With different layers of media fo each cannister, it is almost 100% sure that the flowrate input and output is different for the two canisters.

Whichever has the slower flowrate will have more tear and wear on the motor and blades.

Not a good way to connect them in series. You will have more damage to ur equipments.
I will always take note of the flowrate of the water back to my tank, This should settle the problem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melson View Post
I agree with above suggestions.

I wudn't prefer to link 2 canisters, as you can obviously see why from our bros comment.

what I concern fm my input is your media arrangement. put your bio media before mechanical media is not recommended. Your bio media such as bio home, micromec will clog super fast.

I suggest for the first layer you can put ceramic ring as mech/bio media and disburse water evenly to next layer.

then you can put sponge/fine wool in second layer. pls note in mind that quality of wool itself can affect how fast it clogs.

you can put full of bio media to next 3 layers, so you got mech filtered water that flow through bio media. this wud ensure your bio media long lasting fm clogging.

pls note that clogged bio media, wud slightly decrease its surface capacity for BB to cultivate.

just my humble opinion
Oh ya i for got to mention there is a layer of filter mat in the first tray of the first canister and also there is another at the last tray of the second canister. So is there still a problem?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Ryan Red
Senior Dragon

What will happen if Left pump breakdown and right pump running or the other way? pressure buildup and. ...
Ryan Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, canister, opinion, pnt, setup