Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 14-07-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Liverpool FC Thread #157 :- LFC. This means more.

Liverpool history since 1892.
Liverpool FC having won 18 league titles and 5 European Cups.
The club was formed on March 15 1892 and plays home games at Anfield.
18 League Titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, 8 League Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 3 European Super Cups, 15 Charity Shields, 3 FA Youth Cup.

We are known as Liverpool, The Reds, The Red Army, The Kops or Kopites.
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
NI KI
Arofanatic

Old 14-07-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Liverpool complete Xherdan Shaqiri transfer

Liverpool have completed the signing of Xherdan Shaqiri from Stoke City.

The Switzerland international put pen to paper on a long-term contract with the club at Melwood after completing a medical on Friday.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com shortly after sealing his switch to Anfield, Shaqiri said: “I’m very happy to be here. It’s a huge club with big history, big players and a fantastic coach. So I’m really glad and happy to be here.

“As a player you always want to be on the biggest stage in football. A few years ago I wanted to come too but it didn’t happen. I’m really happy that now I’m finally here. I want to improve myself too, I want to be with the best and I want to win titles. That’s what I’m here for.”

The 26-year-old moves to Liverpool having made 92 appearances across three seasons with Stoke.

Shaqiri, who has scored 21 goals in 74 games for his country and started all four of their 2018 World Cup matches, began his career with FC Basel and represented Bayern Munich for two-and-a-half years after joining the Bundesliga club in the summer of 2012.

Six months with Internazionale followed before he arrived in the Premier League with Stoke in August 2015.

Shaqiri won six league title medals during his time in Switzerland and Germany, as well as the 2012-13 Champions League with Bayern.
Old 14-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Xherdan Shaqiri’s Liverpool squad number confirmed

Xherdan Shaqiri will wear the No.23 shirt for Liverpool.

The Switzerland forward has been allocated the squad number after completing his transfer from Stoke City on Friday.

Shaqiri, who also wears No.23 for his national team, becomes the fourth player to take the jersey for the Reds in the Premier League era, following Robbie Fowler, Jamie Carragher and Emre Can.
Old 14-07-2018, 05:45 AM   #5
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default The story of Xherdan Shaqiri's career so far...

Switzerland forward Xherdan Shaqiri will bolster Liverpool's attacking options for the new season after becoming the Reds' third signing of the summer.

The 26-year-old wide-man, whose three years in the Premier League with Stoke City included 84 games, 15 goals and 15 assists, will now bring his creative talents to Anfield.

Scorer of a World Cup hat-trick in 2014, and with spells at FC Basel, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan on his CV too, Shaqiri is set to spend the peak years of his career with the Reds.

His journey in senior football began with Basel in the 2009-10 season at the age of 17 – and it was a story of success from the off for both the player and the club.

Shaqiri played 31 games and scored four times as the Swiss Super League title was secured by three points, and was on the scoresheet when the double was achieved courtesy of a 6-0 thrashing of Lausanne Sport in the Swiss Cup final.

Back-to-back title defences followed, while another cup success in 2011-12 meant the young man’s collection of winner’s medals stood at five before his 20s had really begun.

By now, Europe’s top clubs had noticed Shaqiri’s performances and Bayern won the race for his signature, sealing a deal in February 2012 for the 5ft6in star to move to Munich in time for the next campaign.

A promising debut season on a personal level was matched by the collective, with the Bavarians scooping a remarkable treble of Bundesliga title, German Cup and Champions League – the latter at the expense of Jürgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund.

His opportunities dwindled during the subsequent 18 months, though the trophies kept coming in the form of yet another domestic double, the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup.

Shaqiri departed the Allianz Arena in January 2015 for what would prove a short-lived stay with Internazionale, before Stoke pulled off a coup to take the Swiss to the Potteries.

The versatile forward’s penchant for the spectacular provided a fresh edge to a team evolving under Mark Hughes and his technical ability was exhibited through a series of fine strikes from distance and dead-ball situations.

Strangely, Shaqiri’s most productive season for Stoke coincided with their relegation from the Premier League last term. He missed only two matches and hit the net eight times as the club finished 19th.

International football provided some relief. Despite winning nine of their 10 qualifying fixtures, Switzerland were forced into the World Cup play-offs and he played both legs of the 1-0 aggregate victory over Northern Ireland.

Shaqiri’s last-minute winner against Serbia during the tournament’s group stage was pivotal in taking his country into the knockout rounds, where they were frustratingly eliminated by Sweden.

Shortly after returning from Russia, he sealed a long-term deal with Liverpool and will begin the next chapter of his club career under Klopp at Anfield.
Old 14-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default How Shaqiri and Salah first crossed paths in 2012

Xherdan Shaqiri and Mohamed Salah have become Liverpool teammates more than six years after first crossing paths at FC Basel.

In March 2012, Shaqiri – who completed a transfer to the Reds from Stoke City on a long-term contract today – was coming to the end of his spell with the Swiss club having already agreed a summer switch to Bayern Munich.

A teenage Salah, meanwhile, had been catching the eye of Basel’s recruitment department and impressed further when he bagged a brace for Egypt U23s in a friendly against the Super League side that month.

Shaqiri was involved in the game, too, scoring the final goal as his team were beaten 4-3 in front of 500 spectators at Rankhof Stadium.

Basel, already sufficiently enthused by Salah’s talent, invited the forward for a trial and soon a deal was agreed with Arab Contractors to sign him.

And so two players who will try to fire the Reds to success together next season briefly met long before the club came calling for each of them.

“He came for training and a trial when I was at Basel. He came to train two or three times, I trained with him,” Shaqiri told Liverpoolfc.com in his first official interview.

“Then I went to Bayern Munich and he stayed in Basel. I’m happy that I see him here. He had an amazing season last year and I hope he can do it this year too.

“I’m very happy for him that he had this beautiful season because he is a very nice guy, a good guy.”
Old 14-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Jürgen Klopp: Why Shaqiri deal makes so much sense

Xherdan Shaqiri's mix of ability, attitude and potential ensured his signing made perfect sense for Liverpool, explained Jürgen Klopp.

The Switzerland international became the club’s third new arrival of the summer today when he completed a medical and penned a long-term contract at Melwood.

Shaqiri joins the Reds after three years in the Premier League with Stoke City that included 84 appearances and a total of 30 goals and assists, following spells with Inter Milan, Bayern Munich and FC Basel.

Klopp has admired the attacker’s versatility, skillset and personality for some time and feels the opportunity to recruit the 26-year-old came at the perfect moment for both parties.

“I think the English phrase to explain the decision to sign Xherdan is a ‘no-brainer’. When someone like him becomes available in this way you have to react if you are smart – and we have,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.

“He has speed and ability, has the right amount of arrogance on the football pitch, real bravery to want the ball and influence things. To play for us these are mandatory requirements.

“We are the perfect move for him in this moment as well I think, because he needs to push himself and challenge himself and our environment encourages that. We will want him to express himself but also learn and improve the areas of his game where he can still make progression.

“From our perspective, he is someone who makes a big difference to the squad and team, because he can fit in so many positions in our system. He gives us greater flexibility in how we can use our current players also. This is cool.

“I know him well from his time in Switzerland and especially Germany – I have been a long-time admirer. But the added bonus now is that he knows the Premier League and what it takes to perform in this uniquely intense environment. He also did really well at the World Cup – so he comes to us full of belief and confidence.

“Finally, Xherdan the person will fit in perfectly at Liverpool I believe. He has personality and drive – he is someone who will feed off the positive emotion of our crowd. He joins a dressing room of really good lads and I know they will welcome him with open arms and help him settle and integrate quickly.”
Old 14-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
NI KI
Arofanatic

A real bargain

It looks like the Reds have themselves a real bargain judging by these stats.

77 – Only six players created more chances than Xherdan Shaqiri in the Premier League last season, while the Swiss created 15 more than any Liverpool player (Mo Salah, 62). Artistry.
Old 14-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
NI KI
Arofanatic

Old 14-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
NI KI
Arofanatic

Carra's message for Shaqiri

Before Xherdan Shaqiri was Liverpool’s No.23, Emre Can was the man in possession of the shirt.

Bofore him however, the number was made famous by the one and only Jamie Carragher.

And Liverpool legend had a succinct piece of Instagram advice for Shaqiri after the £13m signing took the 23 shirt on Friday.