Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 24-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Default Arowana Photography tips.

hey guys, we arowana owners enjoy looking at our beautiful aros at home.. we also hope to produce good pictures to share with friends in arofanatics and let them drool at your aros..

therefore i started this thread to share on photography tips.. do share if you have yours.. state your equipment(e.g. PnS or DSLR(lens and flash used)) as well..

heres mine to share :

equipment :
Sony alpha a550(DSLR) + 50mm/f1.8SAM lens.

We all i believe, uses aquarium lighting and im no exception.. however, my lighting is nearer to the back of the tank and my arowana love to swim very close to the front glass.. making me hard to take a good picture of it's full body shot..
therefore, i used a 2ft 15watt PL light and placed right infront of the tank..

the area where my aros usually swims at.. in the past i used to shoot with both light on(main 4ft and 2ft light) and found out that the result is good. but the backgroup is too bright, thus resulting in distraction.. below are some examples.

Piping at the back is distracting..

air bubbles at the back is distracting..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Right now, i shoot with only the front 2ft 15 watt light on.. and result in much better pictures.. aro is sharp and background is dark.(see first picture in first post, it shows only the 2ft light on)

Old 24-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

well.. if you are keen in shooting bottom dwellers like rays, it works as well.. wait till your ray move to the front which is directly below your lighting.. background will be darker and your object(fish) will be sharp and bright.

Hope this simple tip of mine help you take better pictures of your fish since it did helped me..

Last edited by EvolutionZ; 24-09-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 24-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Tiggy

hi, i'm yet to get my camera too haha....it was from arowana hobbie that made me take initiative to look into cameras too ironicly...and naturally.-"

i just wana ask if a cannon G11 or G12 will be able to take shots like that too?

cuz i really dont have the budget to spend on dslr and the lenses etc :S and neither do i have the passion to go do photography around lol, thats y i'm looking at compact cams instead like the cannon G11 and 12
Old 24-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
gtohow
Endangered Dragon

bro paiseh... but suppose to be under
Aquatic Showcase & Photography

gtohow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohow View Post
bro paiseh... but suppose to be under
Aquatic Showcase & Photography

opps.. forget got that section! haha.. mod if cant post here please help to shift.. was thinking since many people showcase arowana so might as well start a thread here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
hi, i'm yet to get my camera too haha....it was from arowana hobbie that made me take initiative to look into cameras too ironicly...and naturally.-"

i just wana ask if a cannon G11 or G12 will be able to take shots like that too?

cuz i really dont have the budget to spend on dslr and the lenses etc :S and neither do i have the passion to go do photography around lol, thats y i'm looking at compact cams instead like the cannon G11 and 12
G12 come out already? i only know got G11.. sorry but i cant answer your question.. i never use G11 before.. actually DSLR are pretty cheap now.. sony's cheapest range is only $600+ (cheaper den a G11) and it can take pretty good pictures too.. practice more and never give up and you will be able to take pictures you are satisfied with..
Old 24-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Tiggy

haha thx evolutionz, i'll take a look and see :S

see'ing your pix makes me so envy hahaha

I'm not sure about G12 either, but so far i only know about G11 also lol, just thought that if i wana get the cannon g series i might as well wait till G12 cuz got 720p HD vid quality lol

but i'll see how it goes le
Old 24-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
haha thx evolutionz, i'll take a look and see :S

see'ing your pix makes me so envy hahaha

I'm not sure about G12 either, but so far i only know about G11 also lol, just thought that if i wana get the cannon g series i might as well wait till G12 cuz got 720p HD vid quality lol

but i'll see how it goes le
good luck bro.. my pix normal only lah.. i don't have money for external flash therefore im just making use of my aquarium lighting..
Old 24-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Koji™
Account Disabled

This my way of taking pictures. Sometime will use flash.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

no wonder your pictures so sharp! use so many lights!