Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 07-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
globalcookie
Dragon

Default Next PM

Singapore's next leader must be 'doer, implementer': PM Lee
Posted 07 Sep 2016 18:00

ENLARGECAPTION
89 Email More
SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has described his future successor as a person who is not only a "mobiliser and a communicator", but also "a doer, an analyst, an implementer, and a team builder".

In an interview with Beijing-based magazine Caijing published on Wednesday (Sep 7), Mr Lee said: "It takes time, but I have a promising team of younger Ministers and I am quite sure from amongst them, one leader will emerge."

The Prime Minister earlier spoke about the importance of leadership succession during the National Day Rally in August. His successor must be ready to take over from him soon after the next general election, he had said.

SINGAPORE, CHINA HAVE MUTUAL RESPECT EVEN WHEN THEY DISAGREE: MR LEE

During the interview with the magazine on Sunday, while he was in Hangzhou for the first G20 Summit hosted by China, Mr Lee also talked about his views on Singapore-China relations.

"It is a broad and substantial relationship. We have been friends for a long time. We cooperate in many areas – economic, trade, education, culture – and on political issues too, and also regionally with ASEAN," he said.

"But we are two countries, so we see the world from our respective perspectives. We have different vital interests, and we have different national policies and priorities. Often they align with each other and therefore we are able to cooperate. Sometimes, we have different perspectives and we respect each other’s points of view."

He also praised China's choice of topic, which was the blueprint for innovative growth, for the Summit.

"I think the Chinese government has chosen a very suitable topic for the Hangzhou
Summit ... These are opportunities and issues which face many countries, China included, and it is an area that we can cooperate and work together."

ASEAN MUST BE "AS COHESIVE AS POSSIBLE TO BE EFFECTIVE"

On whether the US was competing with China for influence in ASEAN with the US' rebalancing towards Asia, Mr Lee – who is currently in Laos attending the biannual ASEAN Summit – said during the interview: "There is always competition for influence but there are also opportunities for cooperation. Countries in Asia – Singapore, certainly, but many other countries too – are good friends to both China and America and we would like to be good friends with both."

ADVERTISEMENTSCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
He added that it was important for the ASEAN countries to be "as cohesive as possible to be effective, and to be a significant partner which can work with China, Japan, US or the EU."

"If ASEAN is split and Southeast Asia becomes a region where different powers contend with each other and try to jockey and gain advantage and play one country against another, it will raise tensions in the region and it will be very bad for all the ASEAN countries."

One way the ASEAN countries is working with partners is on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement, which Mr Lee pushed for during his recent official visit to the US.

The Prime Minister emphasised the importance of promoting free trade between countries. "We have to work towards free trade because otherwise we will miss out on many opportunities for cooperation and relations amongst countries will become much more difficult," he said.

While negotiations for the TPP have been completed and the agreement signed, it still has to be ratified by all 12 participant countries. In the US, it is difficult to tell how this process will unfold, Mr Lee commented: "During an election campaign in America, it is very seldom popular to talk about free trade and to be in favour of free trade."

"We hope that after the election is over, there will be an opportunity either before January, in the lame‐duck term of Congress, or after January, when the new President comes in and he is faced with the problem and he has to decide what to do."

- CNA/mz

only a "mobiliser and a communicator", but also "a doer, an analyst, an implementer, and a team builder".
Is he saying he is only a mobiliser and communicator? That he isn't a doer and implementer?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
satan_gal
Dragon

all i can see is.. he will be the one who implement... and leave the next one to clear the shit he stirs/create
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Fxxk... he's describing Lawrence Wong... the guy who knows best how to suck money from the people and put up a smiley face at the same time.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Default Next PM

And he's a fking farmer... perfect setup for the next pm.

The only other real choice is Heng Swee Kiat... which we all know how these pap elitist think... an impaired brain is never going to function properly ever again. They dun think the heart is important... and Lawrence dun have one.

The rest are just smoke screens... laying the path for a person who knows how best to suck money from the people... a cheap bustard if u ask me.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

my take : my idol, ah zorro, does everything, cries, dances, tcss, super acting.

Probably, cheaper than the other mouthers.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
loveikan
Arofanatic

Heng Swee keat is most likely his successor.
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
dragon888
Arofanatic

how come the next PM not of a minority race......just like the EP.....
dragon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
globalcookie
Dragon

Given Heng Swee Keat's stroke, I doubt he will step up to the role. I did thought he is a potential, but the stroke gotten him I feel.

Kee Chiu still a potential, not that i like him.

But if all red tapes are cut, Tharman is possibly the only true calibre for the post. Even LHL doesn't come up close if they really pit without any 'background'.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
Auratus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Given Heng Swee Keat's stroke, I doubt he will step up to the role. I did thought he is a potential, but the stroke gotten him I feel.

Kee Chiu still a potential, not that i like him.

But if all red tapes are cut, Tharman is possibly the only true calibre for the post. Even LHL doesn't come up close if they really pit without any 'background'.
Nothing will change and progress stifled if everything comes from the same mould.
Auratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
globalcookie
Dragon

Singaporeans are not ready for a big change. So nothing gg to happen indeed.

If we look at the big shift in other countries, India, Indonesia, Philippines, they really took e leap and choose their leaders away from familiarity. We can see India and Indonesia having potential to break out and grow. Philippines yet to know since it's very new.