Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 15-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
globalcookie
Dragon

So that's a Minister over the Prime Minister, or need a Minister in a Office?

What abt "Minister WITHOUT Portfolio"? No portfolio still can be minister, means, LOBO minister?

Uniquely Singapore!
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeiYuEr View Post
at least president is what we have know and heard off.....but what abt a minister in a minister office....this is something I don't understand
Must be a reward for supporting the PM or for someone with a following who doesn't support the PM (keep your enemies closer la)
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #13
globalcookie
Dragon

Public feedback wanted on specific aspects of Elected Presidency

POSTED:*18 Feb 2016 20:44

Singapore's Parliament House. (Photo: Xabryna Kek)

AA

SINGAPORE: The Constitutional Commission on Elected Presidency, which was announced by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in January, is seeking feedback from the public on specific aspects of the Elected Presidency after its inaugural meeting on Wednesday (Feb 17).

In a media release on Thursday, the Constitutional Commission said it is looking for feedback on the qualifying process for candidacy for the Elected President, in particular the eligibility criteria for candidates, and whether the existing provisions in these areas are adequate, taking into account the President's custodial role in safeguarding the nation's financial reserves and the integrity of its public service.

The Constitutional Commission also noted that there is a need to ensure those eligible for candidacy are individuals of character and standing, who possess the experience and ability to discharge these duties and responsibilities.*

It also would like feedback on provisions that should be made to safeguard minority representation in the Presidency, taking into account that the President is a unifying figure that represents multi-racial Singapore and that there is a need to ensure that candidates from minority races have fair and adequate opportunity to be elected to Presidential office.*

Lastly, the Constitutional Commission is seeking responses on the framework governing the exercise of the President's custodial powers, particularly the role and composition of the Council of Presidential Advisers (CPA).*

The Constitutional provisions pertaining to the Elected President, including the qualifying criteria for candidates and the functions of the CPA, can be foundonline.*

Written submissions must be addressed to the Constitutional Commission Secretariat by email to CCSecretariat@supcourt.gov.sg, or by post to 1 Supreme Court Lane, Singapore 178879. All written submissions must reach the Secretariat by 5pm on Mar 21, 2016.*

The Secretariat added that it may invite contributors to make oral representations at public hearings if it requires clarification or elaboration on any written submission.*

- CNA/dl
Old 19-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #14
jwhtan
Barney

Looks like a move to make people like Tan Jee Say, Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Kin Lian ineligible to contest
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #15
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO LUO View Post
HAHAHAHAHhahah ,, they know ,, cannot win next ,,,,,,,,,, ha ,, fast fast change law again ,.,,,,,,,,,,, hahahhahaha ,, now sporean can see bo .. what they start to thinking next step
They can do anything as long as they have more than two thirds majority in parliament.
I'm not surprised if you research into past changes of laws being changed via super fast seating and voting.
Old 19-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #16
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
Looks like a move to make people like Tan Jee Say, Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Kin Lian ineligible to contest
I think these three will not qualify to contest at all after the changes have been passed, especially Tan Cheng Bock.
Old 19-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #17
globalcookie
Dragon

What is President safeguarding (financial reserves) if then President was told 56 man years to calculate? So there is no audit, no accountability?!?

Character and standing. All they say. Might as well revert back to non elected President.

Unifying figure. So far, anything? Custodial powers? What?

And in simplicity, yes, it is PAP who said who should and who should not be President. They say the all the yes say, we say the all the no say.

Even OTC felt the requirements were, 'maybe too stringent'.

Quote:
Interview with former President Ong Teng Cheong)
The well-known oppositionist J.B. Jeyaretnam wanted to run against you?

Yes, but he was not allowed to because he did not qualify under the stringent criteria. Maybe too stringent.

So the government had been stonewalling you, the president, for three years?

Yes. What happened actually was, as you know, in accounting, when you talk about reserves, it’s either cash reserves or assets reserves. The cash side is straightforward: investment, how many million dollars here and there, how much comes from the investment boards and so on. That was straightforward — but still we had to ask for it. For the assets, like properties and so on, normally you say it’s worth $30 million or $100 million or whatever. But they said it would take 56-man years to produce a dollar-and-cents value of the immovable assets. So I discussed this with the accountant-general and the auditor-general and we came to a compromise. The government would not need to give me the dollar-and-cents value, just give me a listing of all the properties that the government owns.

They agreed?

Well, yes, they agreed, but they said there’s not the time for it. It took them a few months to produce the list. But even when they gave me the list, it was not complete.

Despite all this, it was widely believed that you wanted to run again for a second six-year term as president?

No, I’d been telling my friends since late 1998 that my inclination was not to stand for re-election. But of course, life is unpredictable. In March last year, I went to Stanford and my American doctor confirmed that my cancer was in complete remission. He is very experienced, a world authority on my sickness. So I was fine after my treatment. I gave a complete report to the prime minister and we discussed it. I told him that my inclination was not to stand, but that I’d make the announcement later on. Then the cabinet met and they decided that if I were to stand again, they would not support me.

You had been given a clean bill of health, yet your former colleagues would not support you. Did that annoy you?

I told the prime minister over lunch: Well, I don’t need your cabinet support. If I want to stand, whether I do or not, it will be my personal decision. And I’ll make that decision nearer the date of the presidential election — because I have another checkup in June, July, and I want to know my latest position.
Old 19-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #18
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

just ask ah white-haired hor

How much is sin reserves?
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #19
globalcookie
Dragon

WP declines invite to dialogue, will debate proposed changes in Parliament
Hian/TODAY
BYLAURA ELIZABETH PHILOMIN
lauraphilomin@mediacorp.com.sgPUBLISHED: 4:05 AM, APRIL 15,

SINGAPORE – The Workers’ Party (WP) has declined the Constitutional Commission’s invitation to speak at public hearings on the proposed changes to the Elected Presidency (EP), preferring instead to debate the matter when the Constitutional Amendment Bill is presented in Parliament.

The nine-member commission, which was formed to review and make recommendations on certain aspects of the EP, had invited 20 groups and individuals who had contributed written submissions to speak during the hearings, which will be held in April and May.

RELATEDNEWS
SINGAPORE
19 groups, individuals to speak at public hearings on proposed EP changes
APRIL 14
The WP first informed the commission of its decision last month in its cover letter for the party’s written submission, and repeated in a Facebook post yesterday that it “respectfully declined the invitation”.

“We intend to debate the matter fully when the Constitutional Amendment Bill is presented in Parliament ... The commission ... said it would consider our written submission nonetheless,” the party said.

In its written submission, the WP reiterated its call for the EP to be abolished. It noted that the concerns expressed by the Prime Minister about the EP office, such as the potential for political gridlock due to an uncooperative President, are largely of the Government’s own making.

“Should the day come when a non-PAP (People’s Action Party) government is elected, the EP will represent the PAP’s legacy ... A newly elected non-PAP Government might need to replace some of the key appointment holders ... The EP could block such appointments and cripple the new administration,” the WP said.

The significant veto powers given to the EP could potentially lead to the President becoming an alternative power centre, it added.

As for protecting the nation’s reserves, the WP believes that Parliament serves as a sufficient safeguard, and the party is open to “additional parliamentary safeguards”.

The WP also noted that expanding the powers of the Council of Presidential Advisers, comprising eight appointed members with no mandate from Singaporeans, may add another layer of gridlock between the President and the Council.

On concerns about the lack of minority representation, the WP said reverting to the former system of appointed, ceremonial Presidents would nullify the Government’s concerns.

“The WP is therefore of the view that the office of the EP should not be refined, and should be abolished,” it said. LAURA PHILOMIN
Old 17-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #20
Roadster
Arofanatic

What really puzzle me is that need to have Senior minister, emeritus senior minister, etc., besides the many ministers in PMO.

Giving that the PM himself is the world's highest paid politician by a huge margin, why does he still need 2 others to hand-hold him? Thought he is the best the land have?
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote