Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
therat
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
Operation Cold Store is probably the worst and most shameful nightmare in our political history. It will be comforting when the person who masterminded this act can come out, acknowledge this mistake and apologise. Not that it will change anything now but at least, the victims and loved ones are comforted.

When we are unable to face our past, how do we face our future ?
apologise.. not this generation..
may be next 2 generation.

As long as the "head" still around, no way they will apologies.
Who dare to say "the head" make mistake?
Who dare to apologies?

As long as the family still in power.
acknowledge this mistake ... apologise...
impossible
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
therat
Arofanatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Coldstore

Malaya had a strong anti-communist policy. During the Malayan Emergency, Malaya managed to contain communist influence. However, the communists had substantial influence in Singapore. Fearing a communist resurgency, the Malayan Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman insisted that Singapore round up all pro-communists before the merger occurred.[citation needed] Despite Lee Kuan Yew's initial objection[citation needed], the British and the Malayans cast the decisive ballots at the Internal Security Council[citation needed] to launch the operation.

============
base on wiki, they said the instruction from Malayan Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman.

I don't recall, I read this part (operation coldstore) in my 4 yrs secondary history.
Don't even seen this word "operation coldstore"

First time, saw "operation coldstore", I thought is cold storage program or promotion.

Tonight, will check my son history book... whether has mention or not..
Old 11-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by therat View Post
============
base on wiki, they said the instruction from Malayan Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman.

I don't recall, I read this part (operation coldstore) in my 4 yrs secondary history.
Don't even seen this word "operation coldstore"

First time, saw "operation coldstore", I thought is cold storage program or promotion.

Tonight, will check my son history book... whether has mention or not..
Erasing this chapter from our history books is like the Japanese erasing war atrocities like the rape of nanking, and comfort women in their history books.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
dragon888
Arofanatic

the more they try to BAN the show, the more people will start to watch.....
dragon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
HeiYuEr

Garfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by therat View Post
apologise.. not this generation..
may be next 2 generation.

As long as the "head" still around, no way they will apologies.
Who dare to say "the head" make mistake?
Who dare to apologies?

As long as the family still in power.
acknowledge this mistake ... apologise...
impossible

even if they admit.....it doesn't change anything at all, they will still be in power....who dare to voice out against them?

50yrs ago they already act like a gangster liao.....50yrs later....they still can act like one too.
Tel - 6384 9931
Fax - 6384 9932
Mobile - 9082 8282
24hrs Towing Service - 8777 1161
HeiYuEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
Kohaku
Dragon

Hope someone will upload the show and let us see. I have heard of operation coldstore from a friend and I am curious to know more.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
jwhtan
Barney

When u r in KL, go and get the book. Escape from the Lion's Paw.

Can also look for

Beyond the Blue Gate : Recollections of a Political Prisoner by Teo Soh Lung
That we may dream again by Fong Hoe Fang
Smokescreens and Mirrors : Tracing the Marxist Conspiracy by Tan Wah Piow
Youth on Trial by Chan Wai Han
We Remember by Poh Soo Kai
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #18
therat
Arofanatic

Can bring back?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #19
leong26

Wah , and I thought Singapore pai Kia sumua extinct liao still got gangster around wear long long white sleeve shirt also act gangster
Old 12-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #20
therat
Arofanatic

I found this

http://www.tosingaporewithlove.com/

Freedom Film Festival, 4-city Malaysian Tour. Petaling Jeya, Johor Baru, Kuantan and Penang
64th Berlinale, Forum
Winner, Best Director, Muhr AsiaAfria Documentary Awards. Dubai International Film Festival
Winner, Best Asean Documentary, Special Mention, Salaya International Documentary Festival
Winner, Asian Cinema Fund, Busan International Film Festival
Art of the Real, Film Society of Lincoln Center, USA, 23 & 24 April
Seoul International Documentary Festival, 12 & 15 April
In Competition, Its All True, Brazil, 7-10 April
Busan Asian Cinema Fund Seoul Screenings at Indieplus, 14 & 15 March 2014
Jogja-Netpac Film Festival
International Documentary Film Festival, Kerala
Diaspora Film Festival, Incheon
In Competition, World Premiere, Busan International Film Festival
and more

- – - – - – - – - – -

Singapore political exiles, some of whom have not been home for 50 years, talk about the City of their dreams.

Director Tan Pin Pin attends a funeral in the hills of southern Thailand, a family reunion in Malaysia and goes for a drive through the English countryside, searching the world for the displaced souls of Singapore: different generations of Singaporean political exiles who have not been able to come home. Some have not returned for 50 years. She finds out how they have lived their lives away and how they still view the Singapore of their dreams. As they recount their lives, we see a City that could have been. A love letter to Singapore, from the outside.

They are now in their 60′s to 80′s. Some were activists, student leaders, others were card carrying communists. Though they are from different political persuasions, they all fled Singapore in the 1960’s, 1970s and 1980′s to escape the prospect of detention without trial carried out by the British Colonial Government and later, the Singapore Government. They have been away for between 35 to 50 years and they have settled in places as diverse as United Kingdom, Malaysia and Thailand.

In To Singapore, With Love 星国恋, they show us their lives today and tell us how they have spent their time away. A doctor who fled to London was so moved by the plight of the Palestinians, exiles themselves, that she devoted her life to providing medical care for them. Another young activist who also fled to London, graduated from Oxford University and became a human rights lawyer. Yet another joined the Malayan Communist Party and he fought in the jungles of Malaysia and Thailand. He and his comrades are now living their final years in Southern Thailand. Yet another still religiously reads the Singapore news because he wants to return to politics. Their everyday lives are set against their long struggle “to go home”.

It is clear that while up to 50 years may have passed, the idea of Singapore and is still very much on their minds. “Singapore oh Singapore, you are still on my mind, today and everyday” intones a poem written by one of them.

Interviewees: Ang Swee Chai, Chan Sun Wing, He Jin, Ho Juan Thai, Tan Hee Kim, Tan Wah Piow, Shu Shihua, Wong Soon Fong, Ye Wanzhen. Music: Francis Khoo

- – - – - – - – - – -

Directed, Produced and Photographed by Tan Pin Pin 陈彬彬, 2013, DCP Format. 70min, Mono sound, In English, Mandarin, Malay, Hainanese, with English & Chinese Subtitles.

To Singapore, with Love 星国恋 is part supported by the Asian Cinema Fund, Busan International Film Festival (BIFF). It had its world premiere at BIFF, in competition, Oct 2013.