Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #71
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Ok so your proposal is actually also a potential biz proposal. Not sure if you could approach any environment companies to sell your proposal. Not sure if such methods works in Singapore as it would in some countries.
Might as well make a profit out of our own ideas rather than giving them for free. NEA will not thank you and instead will use your ideas and someone there will get the credit.

Believe me, I have represented a GIC before as their Representative and got screwed good and proper.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #72
stargazer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
Asking the residents to ensure their place is not breeding is difficult as it is because some will and some cannot be bothered.

A hotspot occurs when several residents living in a particular neighbourhood (some living in the same block) got DHF at about the same time.
Actually I am not convinced it is entirely the residents problems. Why should the more problematic ones be found at tampines? Why not at Punggol with younger residents, or even older estates such as TPY or Queenstown perhaps with more senior citizens?

Dunnoe but can it be due to some other reasons?
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #73
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Actually I am not convinced it is entirely the residents problems. Why should the more problematic ones be found at tampines? Why not at Punggol with younger residents, or even older estates such as TPY or Queenstown perhaps with more senior citizens?

Dunnoe but can it be due to some other reasons?
It is difficult to narrow it down as mossies travel within a range of less than 1000 metres and found at heights 21 stories high. Perhaps they can also be wind-blown and might originate from a neighbouring country. You will notice that we had lots of rain in 2012 and there were less cases reported. In recent months despite the intermittent rains, there were many days of warm weather after a short spell of rain allowing the mossies to hatch.

It should be a communal effort and the responsibility is with the government to lead and educate residents, garner the citizens to declare an all-out war against mosquitoes. More effort should be made to galvanise everyone to do their part and there should not be retribution (fines imposed) for those who were caught breeding them.

Any punishment meted out should be similar as those caught littering i.e., perform community work. Recalcitrants however, should be punished severely as their actions cause misery to others.

Actually spending millions is not what I am against as long as it achieve it's aim and that is to eradicate the mossies by all means. Last but not least, this is a never ending war and we should never put our guard down. This is what we call "Total Defence."

Please note that the aedes mossies must first be infected with DHF after biting an infected person. Therefore if no one has DHF, they are unable to infect us when they bite. So in theory, it is likely DHF may originate in another country and the mossies were wind-blown into Singapore. I am not positive about it but there is the possibility. Another possibility could be due to Singapore having thousands of foreigners entering and exiting the country everyday.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #74
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
You will notice that we had lots of rain in 2012 and there were less cases reported. In recent months despite the intermittent rains, there were many days of warm weather after a short spell of rain allowing the mossies to hatch.
Indeed there are such behavioural patterns. Dengue problem happens during hotter months. During the raining season, we barely hears of dengue cases. Mossie scared of cold
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #75
zealot

Maybe they could provide more recommended means for controlling mosquito.

Due to heavy rain, there could be times where water are collected in certain areas, mosquitoes travel too and the source may not be from your own premise.

I have tried to identify means to mitigate mozzie occurrence and I feel that it is difficult to locate any cost efficient and/or effective means.

I am using BTI Mozzie dumps and granules but these don't come cheap and it needs to be replaced on a bi monthly basis. As for spray, I am not sure if they are any spray which would not have undesirable side effects to human and even our pets, as well as fruit trees etc. I have therefore used such spray sparingly and mostly on day mosquito, e.g. Wyeomyia mosquitoes found near plants.

It could therefore be helpful if there could be some insecticides, mosquito dunk prescribed by NEA.
Old 14-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #76
bobbysayang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by byfun View Post
Read in news the other day that NEA just award a yearly $5M contract to an advertising firm to raise awareness. 2nd year subject to renewal and is also $5M.

I think this $10m just award more subcon to do check and fogging. Advertisement on radio and tv will also be much lesser than the $10m. Pay $10m just for advertising is too much. Budget too much.. seem always the case for many gov agency.
Money fed to pigs - Ang Mo Kao
bobbysayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #77
Aris
Arofanatic

Default Dengue cases in Singapore reach 7,000 mark

Dengue cases in Singapore reach 7,000 mark

NEA officers conduct site visits in dengue risk zones to check for mosquito breeding within
residences as part of their effort to reduce dengue fever in Singapore. Photo: Alex Westcott

15 hours 22 min ago

SINGAPORE - The total number of dengue cases in Singapore reached the 7,000 mark as of 3pm yesterday (May 17).

This is higher than the total number of cases reported for the whole of last year and 2011. There were 4,632 cases reported last year and 5,330 reported in 2011.

There has been however, a slight dip in the number of cases reported in the past week.

There were 510 cases reported in the week ending 17 May as of 3pm, compared to 562 the week before. Of the 7,000 cases, 159 are in construction sites. That is more than double the number reported last year.

There were 71 cases reported in construction sites in 2012, about 1.5 per cent of total dengue cases in 2012.

This makes up 2.3 per cent of the total dengue cases reported.

Mr Ho Ngok Yong, president of SCAL, said: “We want to make sure that, preferably zero (per cent) because all our construction sites now, you can see these buildings, are very near to residential places. Proximity is very close. Any outbreak therefore will affect residents.”

Mr Derek Ho, director-general of public health at National Environment Agency, said: “We’ve only found about five per cent of breeding habitats that’s from construction sites. In fact the majority of breeding habitats are still within homes, about 70 per cent of the breeding (sites). But we think it’s very important that all stakeholders in the community do their part to eradicate potential mosquito breeding habitats.”

There were about 638 mosquito breeding sites found in construction sites so far this year. A total of 722 sites were found in construction sites in 2012.

The association has mobilised more than 150 construction sites to join the fight against dengue. It has also adopted several practices to prevent mosquito breeding at its premises.

These include levelling uneven ground to prevent water from collecting and spraying oil on drainage areas.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...each-7000-mark
Old 19-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #78
hkh
Arofanatic

Hope this $10 million of public fund is well spent....... Oh Yes Vivian Bala.....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #79
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

A curious question. Does strong wind environment deter mosquitoes from approaching an area? For example, a bedroom with a ceiling fan on at say 4 of a 5-speed selection?
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #80
Aris
Arofanatic

Personally from experience, mosquitoes are not easily discouraged when there is a food source available. Having a fan switched on in a room, there will be dead zones where there is relatively less air currents for example under the bed. I doubt those sleeping in the room will be safe from being bitten.

Some people are more prone to being bitten, especially children.