Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 29-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #31
Spakase

No, not expensive, but quite the extremes of either being tasteless, oily and salty. Not value for money. go over JB every fried noodle is delicious and Ipoh hor fun tastes really good, for half price.
Old 29-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #32
rareluohan

Sodium very high. Not just from salt but also from msg. Plus no exercise, high saturated fat, low fibre, no wonder government worry about our health care cost.
Old 30-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #33
Ken_wen
Dragon

food in singapore, for the average salary we earn, the varieties we get to choose from, the assurance of clean food is very cheap in my humble opinion.

of course we can compare to other places but our living standard is definitely on par with shanghai, london, paris and food prices there are off the roof too. what can u get for 5€ or 5£ there? compared with $5 dollars here?

the average worker earns no more or less than us.
Ken_wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #34
Lee Chin Hui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_wen View Post
food in singapore, for the average salary we earn, the varieties we get to choose from, the assurance of clean food is very cheap in my humble opinion.

of course we can compare to other places but our living standard is definitely on par with shanghai, london, paris and food prices there are off the roof too. what can u get for 5€ or 5£ there? compared with $5 dollars here?

the average worker earns no more or less than us.
place like Paris/London dun have place like hawker center, usually we have to eat at restaurant or fast food outlet. for example, a meal with coke in Esslingen, small town near Stuttgart Germany, cost about 15€. if i eat the same food in restaurant Singapore, it might cost more than S$15.

luckily we have hawker center in Singapore where we can enjoy cheaper meal.
Old 30-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #35
Ariesdram
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Chin Hui View Post
place like Paris/London dun have place like hawker center, usually we have to eat at restaurant or fast food outlet. for example, a meal with coke in Esslingen, small town near Stuttgart Germany, cost about 15€. if i eat the same food in restaurant Singapore, it might cost more than S$15.

luckily we have hawker center in Singapore where we can enjoy cheaper meal.
But london have a wide variety of takeaways. From turk to indian to chinese to vietnamese to even finger licking good pizza for a couple of pounds. To me, it's the same as hawker except that they are not housed together under 1 roof.
Ariesdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #36
burntrubber
Dragon

My kids, the maid, my fish eat better than me.

Rental is the no.1 killer for food prices. My mum's neighbor owns a popular coffeeshop on the eastern side. The shop can accomodate about 12 stalls. Each stall's monthly rental is about $6-8k. So you need to sell about 2000-3000 bowls of fishball noodles just to cover the rent.

Last edited by burntrubber; 30-11-2011 at 10:11 AM.
burntrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #37
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariesdram View Post
But london have a wide variety of takeaways. From turk to indian to chinese to vietnamese to even finger licking good pizza for a couple of pounds. To me, it's the same as hawker except that they are not housed together under 1 roof.
And according to a fren who was there..

Comes wif Free Beer
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #38
Ariesdram
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
And according to a fren who was there..

Comes wif Free Beer
Never heard of. How come free? But beer is cheap la. 1-2 pound a glass. More affordable than koi in Singapore.
Old 30-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #39
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariesdram View Post
Never heard of. How come free? But beer is cheap la. 1-2 pound a glass. More affordable than koi in Singapore.
Dunno leh.. the joint my fren went to... Order pizza, comes wif beer.. like set.
Same for aus and some parts of UK and US, it seems

And yes, all come bck KPKB say sg beer and hoonki very ex..
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #40
Ariesdram
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntrubber View Post
My kids, the maid, my fish eat better than me.

Rental is the no.1 killer for food prices. My mum's neighbor owns a popular coffeeshop on the eastern side. The shop can accomodate about 12 stalls. Each stall's monthly rental is about $6-8k. So you need to sell about 2000-3000 bowls of fishball noodles just to cover the rent.
What kind of coffeeshop? Stall rental in coffeeshop starts from around $2K depending on the size. $6K is definitely very ex and I would assume it to be big enough for a cze char stall which can rake in figure in the thousands per evening. Else if one is selling mee pok at $3 per bowl, you'll need around 100 bowls just to breakeven the rental cost and there is even the labour, material and gas/electric cost.

Last edited by Ariesdram; 30-11-2011 at 10:19 AM.