Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
satan_gal
Dragon

Default Job search scheme for foreign grads scrapped

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_742123.html

Job search scheme for foreign grads scrapped

By Lin Wenjian

The Manpower Ministry (MOM) has scrapped a scheme that gave foreign university graduates up to one year to land a job in Singapore, saying it has not met its aim of helping companies recruit good-calibre candidates.

With the discontinuation of the Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (Epec) scheme, foreigners now have only three months - the duration of a visit pass they can apply for - to try to secure a job.

The move, which took effect from Dec 1, comes ahead of stricter requirements for Employment Pass (EP) applicants which will kick in on Jan 1.

Labour experts say the move is timely in the light of the global economic uncertainty. Singaporeans may now stand a better chance of getting a job with the reduced competition.
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
therat
Arofanatic

it's over due but better than don't do any thing.
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
hkh
Arofanatic

Will this work....

I doubt so.....with less time..the FTs will be more willing to settle for less pay just to secure jobs...so like that can locals compete....
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
Will this work....

I doubt so.....with less time..the FTs will be more willing to settle for less pay just to secure jobs...so like that can locals compete....
Actually.. if you look at it...

fresh grad = lack of experience = OJT

Ngeh ngeh tong low pay for a year or so... den hop to better future lor.

It's not just the cert and the asking salary.. it's the whole package.
You need to justify why you are worth what you're asking for.

i.e. decision making, how you articulate, the way you write your resume, how you prepare for interview etc. also makes a difference.

Dun b so depressed la..

I'm more curious on HOW govt collect tuition grants bck when these ppl can't find a job within the stated period.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
hkh
Arofanatic

But there will be chain effect....so gradute collect less...so will be the diploma holders and ITEs and so on....Life's really tough man....
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
But there will be chain effect....so gradute collect less...so will be the diploma holders and ITEs and so on....Life's really tough man....
It has always been the case for fresh grads.. be it Uni, Poly, ITE

Last time I go interview.. i always make it a point to put down my job experience when I was doing Temp every sem break.

Most times.. i have more relevant work experience in most areas.. and can relate, I believe it gave me an edge.

I really think SG students shd utilize thier citizenship and go earn their keep BEFORE grad.. Student permit is actually not legal to work here one.. so can assume they 0 experience

However hor.. I've seen NUS fresh grads who resume damn power..
They have experience in their hometown in relevant skills required for the job. I believe this give them an edge over locals too.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
hkh
Arofanatic

Yup...those with work experience are usually Poly-grad turned NUS-fresh grad...so cannot compare to those who come straight from JCs.... got to hope for the best....
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
AroHong

AFC Member

Must take this report with a pinch of salt. I think only applicable to foreign students that are here on their own resources. Foreign students who obtain some form of sponsership or scholarship from the government with the condition that they must find a job and work here for a few years are probably not going to be affected.
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote