Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Elindra
Dragon

Default Planted tank for Terrapins - Need Help

I’m thinking of setting up a planted tank for my terrapins
However, I have ZERO experience with planted tanks
Would appreciate if any bros can help answer the questions I have and also advise me of anything I missed out

Lighting – Any kind of special lighting needed? The tank will not be near a window so is there a special light required for photosynthesis?

Equipment – Is a CO2 needed or can I do without?

Substrate – I’m thinking of fine river sand in case the terrapins ingest some accidently. Is it ok? Will it work for plants especially if I want some parts with carpeting kind of plants?

Plants – Appreciate suggestions that will be easy for a beginner to upkeep

Fertilizers – Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance bros
Elindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Easy plant would be nanas. I especially like nana petite. Cute, but expensive...
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
lyk

Will your terrapin eat the plant?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Eric9013

Bro i don think you would succeed with Terrapins in a plant tank, they will either eat off your plant or dig up the root and messed up yr setup
Old 13-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Elindra
Dragon

Mine don't like vegs so I'm not too worried about the eating part

Hmmm what about those plants tied to DW and maybe those mats? Will those work and if so can someone pls help answer my questions.

Thanks
Old 13-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
gracy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elindra View Post
I’m thinking of setting up a planted tank for my terrapins
However, I have ZERO experience with planted tanks
Would appreciate if any bros can help answer the questions I have and also advise me of anything I missed out

Lighting – Any kind of special lighting needed? The tank will not be near a window so is there a special light required for photosynthesis?

Equipment – Is a CO2 needed or can I do without?

Substrate – I’m thinking of fine river sand in case the terrapins ingest some accidently. Is it ok? Will it work for plants especially if I want some parts with carpeting kind of plants?

Plants – Appreciate suggestions that will be easy for a beginner to upkeep

Fertilizers – Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance bros

Hi sis,

I just starting to get into planted, but i try to help as much as i know so far.

Lighting:
Depends on what plant you wanna keep, different plant different Watt Per Gallon Needed. With light also will help to beautify your tank.

Equipment:
CO2 tank depend whether what kind of plant you are keeping, and how heavily planted your tank are and your available livestock to upkeep with the CO2 requirement for your plants. My tank doesnt have one so far..

Substrate:
Likewise, depend what kind of plants you want, but fine sand should be necessary if you want to achieve those carpet grass. Regarding the type of substrate and brand, you can find out more in AF or online.

Plants:
I think will be quite difficult to introduce your terrapins into a fully planted tank if they are of a reasonable big in size. As they will chew off your plants and mess up your tank with the sand kept dug out constantly by them.

If you are talking about terrapins like 2" in a 2 feet planted, maybe still possible. Just that occasional mischievous digging and playing with your sand..

However, if you insist of trying, get those dw with nana or Java plant tied on it.. placed it on center.. see does it "disturb" your plant.. before you introduce more plants inside.

Fertilizer:
I think Fertilizer yes and no, need to check on the product itself whether is it fish/terrapin etc friendly.

** I would suggest venture into planted tank first, keeping with light bioload livestocks, such as tetra, guppies, shrimps to test run see hows ur progress. As you need quite some time for your plants to matured too. Then think about whether to put in your terrapin into the tank.

Cheers!

Have fun!

Last edited by gracy; 13-07-2011 at 11:30 AM.
gracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Elindra
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracy View Post
Hi sis,

I just starting to get into planted, but i try to help as much as i know so far.

Lighting:
Depends on what plant you wanna keep, different plant different Watt Per Gallon Needed. With light also will help to beautify your tank.

Equipment:
CO2 tank depend whether what kind of plant you are keeping, and how heavily planted your tank are and your available livestock to upkeep with the CO2 requirement for your plants. My tank doesnt have one so far..

Substrate:
Likewise, depend what kind of plants you want, but fine sand should be necessary if you want to achieve those carpet grass. Regarding the type of substrate and brand, you can find out more in AF or online.

Plants:
I think will be quite difficult to introduce your terrapins into a fully planted tank if they are of a reasonable big in size. As they will chew off your plants and mess up your tank with the sand kept dug out constantly by them.

If you are talking about terrapins like 2" in a 2 feet planted, maybe still possible. Just that occasional mischievous digging and playing with your sand..

However, if you insist of trying, get those dw with nana or Java plant tied on it.. placed it on center.. see does it "disturb" your plant.. before you introduce more plants inside.

Fertilizer:
I think Fertilizer yes and no, need to check on the product itself whether is it fish/terrapin etc friendly.

** I would suggest venture into planted tank first, keeping with light bioload livestocks, such as tetra, guppies, shrimps to test run see hows ur progress. As you need quite some time for your plants to matured too. Then think about whether to put in your terrapin into the tank.

Cheers!

Have fun!
Ahh thanks for reply
How about 3 inch terrapin in 3 feet tank I don't think that will be a huge problem right. Hahaha

I think I go with the DW kind of plants to scape some kind of swampy look or something and skip the grass entirely.

I'm really not into tiny ornamental fish and shrimps >.<

Last edited by Elindra; 13-07-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 13-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
gracy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elindra View Post
Ahh thanks for reply
How about 3 inch terrapin in 3 feet tank I don't think that will be a huge problem right. Hahaha

I think I go with the DW kind of plants to scape some kind of swampy look or something and skip the grass entirely.

I'm really not into tiny ornamental fish and shrimps >.<
hahah thats a good life for your terrapin! LOL! YEah..I was visualizing a swampy sand area with a mixture of wet and dry land for your terrapin.. that would be cool...

LOL.. I wasn't into it, but thats one of the best fishes for me to keep in my planted tank cos I tend to overload my fishes in my main 5 feet ...

at least fallen in love with shrimps will help me ensure my planted tank doesn't have over bioload issue. :P
gracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Elindra
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracy View Post
hahah thats a good life for your terrapin! LOL! YEah..I was visualizing a swampy sand area with a mixture of wet and dry land for your terrapin.. that would be cool...

LOL.. I wasn't into it, but thats one of the best fishes for me to keep in my planted tank cos I tend to overload my fishes in my main 5 feet ...

at least fallen in love with shrimps will help me ensure my planted tank doesn't have over bioload issue. :P
I"m planning the mix of wet and dry land!!!
Also thinking of using a 3D backdrop or maybe do a bark backdrop

My 5 ft tank is also overloaded. LOL
Old 13-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
BettaCloud

hi elindra,

first of all, this is a good thought for terrapin to stay in a more natural environment. i would share with you my experience with terrapin.

First of all, you can get those bigger gravel as fine sand will be messy when the terrapin moves. 3'' in a 3ft is fine. but remember it will grow to the size of a face. so must consider the space for it to move when it grows. i would recommend 1/3 land and 2/3 water as a guideline.

as for plant, i will not recommend carpet plant as your turtle may scrap it off the gravel. source out plants that lives in swampy area and where can you get. but i have to tell you there are certain plants/food that turtles/tortoise cannot eat or they may die. i can't remember the exact food so you may have to check it out.

okie, lets get back to systematic

Lighting:
Get tanning light as your turtle is cold blooded and need sunlight to keep warmth and absorb vit D for calcium absorption

Equipment
CO2 is optional unless you want to get high maintenance plants which is not worth it for terrarpin setting. tying moss to DW may be good. a good filter is a must as turtle eats alot and poo alot. so you need good filter to clear the water, otherwise under your "land" gravel will have many bacteria/disease germs trapped in it. water change every week if you have filter. and it all depends on how fast your turtle eat and poo. at different size they have different duration to WC

substrate
please dont get soil as it will be messy when u water change. get those small river pebbles may be good as once every few months you may have to wash the gravel.

fertilizer
only when you want high maintaining plants.

dear elindra, if your focus is on the terrapin then you will not have to focus on the plant. however if your focus is on the planted tank, then you will need co2 and more. which is your focus may i check?