Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

View Poll Results: Ray keeper stung by own ray before?
YES! 10 21.28%
Never! 37 78.72%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
thee_boss
Dragon

Default Danger rate of Stingray stinging

How many ray keeper here had been stung before by their own pet?

I am considering keeping rays but am considering the potential hazard post by this fish.

comments appreciated!
thee_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
marshy

Senior Moderator

Stingrays sting in self defense.
Majority of ray keepers getting stung are due to accidents or plain stupidity on their part.
Your question is akin to asking.... "I'm planning to buy a car but I'd like to poll how many car owners have been in an accident before so I can guage the risks in driving a car"
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
^GeNoME^
Dragon

i was stung by my ray 2 days ago during the packing process..i think the ray got freaked out and poke thru the bags and my bag.. got to go to A&E in the middle of the night... admitted to the hospital for 2days.. and trust me.. the pain is unbearable even thou i got a big pain threshold (was a medic during NS time and the IV poking session is nothing compared to the stung).. was injected with morphine during treatment. zzz
^GeNoME^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
lincolngoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^GeNoME^ View Post
i was stung by my ray 2 days ago.. got to go to A&E in the middle of the night...
Holy crap, how did you get stung? Didi you do the hot water thingie?
Old 23-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
^GeNoME^
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolngoh View Post
Holy crap, how did you get stung? Didi you do the hot water thingie?
got stung when i was packing ray to my fren place..

got to dip my hand into hot water and trust me.. tat is the only treatment method.. there is no anti venom or medicaion available to neutralise the venom of the ray.. i dip my hand into the hot water for 10hrs b4 the pain subsided.. the hot water is believed to be able to destroy the venom protein and got to be hospitalised bcos they wan to monitor if there is any tissue neucrosis happening
Old 23-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:

got to dip my hand into hot water and trust me.. tat is the only treatment method.. there is no anti venom or medicaion available to neutralise the venom of the ray.. i dip my hand into the hot water for 10hrs b4 the pain subsided.. the hot water is believed to be able to destroy the venom protein and got to be hospitalised bcos they wan to monitor if there is any tissue neucrosis happening
Dun use bag to bag stingray. Must use container, safer that way.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Koji™
Account Disabled

Respect is the word. Respect them and they will not attack you for no reason.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
lincolngoh

Quote:
... the hot water is believed to be able to destroy the venom protein and got to be hospitalised bcos they wan to monitor if there is any tissue neucrosis happening
Was it a baby ray? That is why i advise people to transport by plastic or Styrofoam box. Much safer.

The protein toxin causes nerve pain, so I guess pain killers are the 'anti venom'. Hot water kinda 'cooks' the protein and limit the damage, Morphine settle the pain...

I'm been bringing home & shifting 20-30 rays all around different tanks for years. So far the respect I pay them has kept me free from any stings. But the more I heard about the pain, the more curious I am...

Below is an extract for added info.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/fish/stingray.htm

A stingray's venom is not necessarily fatal, but it hurts a lot. It's composed of the enzymes 5-nucleotidase and phosphodiesterase and the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin causes smooth muscle to severely contract, and it is this component that makes the venom so painful. The enzymes cause tissue and cell death. If the venom is introduced into an area like the ankle, it can usually be treated. Heat breaks down stingray venom and limits the amount of damage it can do.

Last edited by lincolngoh; 23-10-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 23-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
lincolngoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Respect is the word. Respect them and they will not attack you for no reason.
Actually in rare cases some of them do, mostly wild caught ones which can be territorial and unused to humans. Like humans 1 out of a few thousand are insane and will attack without provocation.

If a ray curls it's tail in an arch, and starts moving towards your hand, remove your hand immediately. If you don't the ray will attack.

In such extremely rare cases, I suggest culling the ray.
Old 23-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
^GeNoME^
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolngoh View Post
Was it a baby ray? That is why i advise people to transport by plastic or Styrofoam box. Much safer.

The protein toxin causes nerve pain, so I guess pain killers are the 'anti venom'. Hot water kinda 'cooks' the protein and limit the damage, Morphine settle the pain...

I'm been bringing home & shifting 20-30 rays all around different tanks for years. So far the respect I pay them has kept me free from any stings. But the more I heard about the pain, the more curious I am...

Below is an extract for added info.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/fish/stingray.htm

A stingray's venom is not necessarily fatal, but it hurts a lot. It's composed of the enzymes 5-nucleotidase and phosphodiesterase and the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin causes smooth muscle to severely contract, and it is this component that makes the venom so painful. The enzymes cause tissue and cell death. If the venom is introduced into an area like the ankle, it can usually be treated. Heat breaks down stingray venom and limits the amount of damage it can do.
the morphine hardly does anything to ease the pain except to make me drowsy.. the ray that stung me is not a baby ray but it is 9inches PDR.. zz

i dunnoe wat does it meant by "respecting" the ray but i am doing eveything i can to provide them with a comfortable living environment.. the reason i got stung is bcos i choose to catch the ray is a unconvectional method that day and it is just another freak accident