Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 13-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #411
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric9013 View Post
Bro talking about your fish I was a maniac over Corydoras for a year or so, I used to have 10 each in my 522, panda is my beloved and also the one shown in your picture above (c328 has 2 very similar type, one pricey 5 bucks, the other one is much cheaper) i had both, however my problem Is they keep dying after 3 days??? Hence I stop buying Corydoras

I do know that Corydoras needs and I have observed these rules
- Bottom food
- schooling
- shady area for hiding
- fine gravel to avoid cut while feeding
My temp is 25degree PH 6-7

Any good advice to share for keeping Corydoras
Did you manage to find out the reasons for the dying off of the cories? Can't think of anymore things that you will need. Were they feeding after you got them? Cories are relatively hardy in my experience. I've only had 1 die on me, coz it lost its barbels for some reason and stopped feeding. Never found out how though.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #412
Panther
Dragon

Quote:
Bro talking about your fish I was a maniac over Corydoras for a year or so, I used to have 10 each in my 522, panda is my beloved and also the one shown in your picture above (c328 has 2 very similar type, one pricey 5 bucks, the other one is much cheaper) i had both, however my problem Is they keep dying after 3 days??? Hence I stop buying Corydoras

I do know that Corydoras needs and I have observed these rules
- Bottom food
- schooling
- shady area for hiding
- fine gravel to avoid cut while feeding
My temp is 25degree PH 6-7

Any good advice to share for keeping Corydoras
Actually, what you have mentioned are more the ideal conditions for corydoras, except that they ARE bottom feeders.

Corys school only if they have a big enough group, else they'd be everywhere. They are ok to be out in the open and shade is not a MUST to have, but a "good to have". It depends on your lighting. If it is very high light and very bright, it's better to provide. But if the lighting is not very bright and you are keeping under brackish water conditions or have a tank with wood leaking out tanins, then it's ok not to have shade. Gravel need not necessary be fine but better to have gravel that are rounded rather than sharp to avoid injury when the corys dig or scavenge for food.

I'm not an expert but the abopve are from my past cory keeping experience.
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #413
minz
Arofanatic

Hi Issac finally finished reading yr 42pages of cory journal, very insightful and thks for sharing. Im goin down to petmart right now, but only getting the setup part, sand etc for cory as I need to recycle my 40cm tank. I guess that will take me like a mth after cycle than i can have my own cory

Preparation most likely angel sand, a drift wood bout 30 with nana and a dolphin hof.
minz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #414
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by minz View Post
Hi Issac finally finished reading yr 42pages of cory journal, very insightful and thks for sharing. Im goin down to petmart right now, but only getting the setup part, sand etc for cory as I need to recycle my 40cm tank. I guess that will take me like a mth after cycle than i can have my own cory

Preparation most likely angel sand, a drift wood bout 30 with nana and a dolphin hof.
Hey bro! Thanks for spending the time to read on 42 pages! Angel sand is good value for money, but if you have additional funds, consider getting ADA sand. Although very expensive compared to other sands like Angel's, its worth it. The texture and feel of the sand is much more natural.

Remember to start a journal of post pictures of your aquarium when its up! You can post it here in this thread, I don't mind.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #415
minz
Arofanatic

Hey thks will keep u posted, regarding the clear hose if u havent got yrs, fishy is selling ADA clear hose 3m btw 2-3 red notes.
minz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #416
Eric9013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Did you manage to find out the reasons for the dying off of the cories? Can't think of anymore things that you will need. Were they feeding after you got them? Cories are relatively hardy in my experience. I've only had 1 die on me, coz it lost its barbels for some reason and stopped feeding. Never found out how though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Actually, what you have mentioned are more the ideal conditions for corydoras, except that they ARE bottom feeders.

Corys school only if they have a big enough group, else they'd be everywhere. They are ok to be out in the open and shade is not a MUST to have, but a "good to have". It depends on your lighting. If it is very high light and very bright, it's better to provide. But if the lighting is not very bright and you are keeping under brackish water conditions or have a tank with wood leaking out tanins, then it's ok not to have shade. Gravel need not necessary be fine but better to have gravel that are rounded rather than sharp to avoid injury when the corys dig or scavenge for food.

I'm not an expert but the abopve are from my past cory keeping experience.
Guys, thank you for your kind advice.

There isn't any clear sign of injury or symptom when my cory die, all are feeding well the day before and past on the next day

Anyhow, I will make a come back try again in 1-2 months (moving to a new house now) for full corys planted tank
Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #417
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Guys, thank you for your kind advice.

There isn't any clear sign of injury or symptom when my cory die, all are feeding well the day before and past on the next day

Anyhow, I will make a come back try again in 1-2 months (moving to a new house now) for full corys planted tank
One question though. Were you dosing anything in the tank, like ferts or medication?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #418
Eric9013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
One question though. Were you dosing anything in the tank, like ferts or medication?
Yup weekly doage of seachem excel, any issues? no medication though
Old 06-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #419
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Yup weekly doage of seachem excel, any issues? no medication though
Did the cories start dying only after you added in the excel?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #420
hardric

I always had cories. Very hardy. I also add Seachem Excel. No issues. Don't think it's a problem.