Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 30-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
.Hack
Dragon

Default Goldfish Feeding Regime

What are you feeding your GF and how many times a day?

For me, i feed my Ranchus and Orandas 5 times a day:
Meal 1: Hikari Lionhead - Amount they can finish in 1 minute
Meal 2: Frozen Bloodworm - 3 Cubes
Meal 3: Hikari Algae Wafer - 3 Wafers
Meal 4: Frozen Bloodworm - 3 Cubes
Meal 5: Saki Hikari Green - Amount they can finish in 1 minute

Am i underfeeding?
.Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Hershley
Endangered Dragon

havent seen ur gfs before. may i know their size n how many u have ?
Hershley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershley View Post
havent seen ur gfs before. may i know their size n how many u have ?
4 Black Ranchus, 4 Ranchus, 6 Orandas.
All juvenile sizes, Ranchus head to tail 2.5", Oranda 3".
Old 30-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
UnSun

Your food is equivalent to French Crusine. That's about right for grooming if follow by good w/cs and filtration.
Yes, show us a video leh.
Old 30-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
Your food is equivalent to French Crusine. That's about right for grooming if follow by good w/cs and filtration.
Yes, show us a video leh.
Haha. Let them have a variety of food, if not stick to one kind think they will sian.
But i will seperate the black ranchus to another tank during feeding, else can't compete will the better eyesight goldies.
Using a sump setup and weekly WC of 15%.
Video of GF or filtration?

Cos i see those feeding instructions is like feed 2-4 times daily, amount they can consume within a few minutes.
But i feed my GFs amount they can finish in 1 minute is like alot of pellets liao.
Scared if feed according to a few minutes they will be overfed.
Old 30-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Hershley
Endangered Dragon

I usually feed 2 times only. Overfeeding causes water to foul easier.
Hershley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
Haha. Let them have a variety of food, if not stick to one kind think they will sian.
But i will seperate the black ranchus to another tank during feeding, else can't compete will the better eyesight goldies.
Using a sump setup and weekly WC of 15%.
Video of GF or filtration?

Cos i see those feeding instructions is like feed 2-4 times daily, amount they can consume within a few minutes.
But i feed my GFs amount they can finish in 1 minute is like alot of pellets liao.
Scared if feed according to a few minutes they will be overfed.
You should also include duck weed once or twice per week as well for better digestion and well being. Normally it's not a good idea to mix blackies with others. They are kind of slow and dumb and as they develop more headgrowth covering their eyes, they will miss out on food and can be left with stunted growth.

How come only do weekly 15% w/cs? Should do closer to 80% in view of your bio load. (normally gf requires big w/cs once or twice per week if loading is large)
It's better to feed less food per feed and more times than follow the general instructions of 2-4 mins. per feeding as stated on the packing.
One way to tell whether you've overfed is watch their swimming about half hour later. If they seems to have swimming problems, then you've overfed and it's time to change your routine because once they develop sbp they will always be proned to it. Feeding correctly requires some skill and one of the most difficult part in fish keeping. Yes, show us your fish/setup please.
Cheers
Old 30-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
You should also include duck weed once or twice per week as well for better digestion and well being. Normally it's not a good idea to mix blackies with others. They are kind of slow and dumb and as they develop more headgrowth covering their eyes, they will miss out on food and can be left with stunted growth.

How come only do weekly 15% w/cs? Should do closer to 80% in view of your bio load. (normally gf requires big w/cs once or twice per week if loading is large)
It's better to feed less food per feed and more times than follow the general instructions of 2-4 mins. per feeding as stated on the packing.
One way to tell whether you've overfed is watch their swimming about half hour later. If they seems to have swimming problems, then you've overfed and it's time to change your routine because once they develop sbp they will always be proned to it. Feeding correctly requires some skill and one of the most difficult part in fish keeping. Yes, show us your fish/setup please.
Cheers
I feed them Algae Wafers to replace their vegetable needs.
15% because water condition before WC is still okie.
Check water perimeters before WC, Nitrite 0, Nitrate around 30ppm.

Will post some pics after i take the photos.
Any bros and sis care to share their feedings too?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
mediacraze
Dragon

6-8 meals a day, fish finish food in 5-10 mins time.
Only feed pellets, with 1 day fasting per week. On fasting day, fish will feed on alga wall.
WC every 2 days, 50%. I don't use test kit, only monitor bubble condition and fishes movement/ feeding behavior.

Result on my avatar @ 22cm, I give it nickname "Monster"
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post
6-8 meals a day, fish finish food in 5-10 mins time.
Only feed pellets, with 1 day fasting per week. On fasting day, fish will feed on alga wall.
WC every 2 days, 50%. I don't use test kit, only monitor bubble condition and fishes movement/ feeding behavior.

Result on my avatar @ 22cm, I give it nickname "Monster"
Feeding 6-8 meals p/d in 5-10mins is a lot especially if you are using auto feeder because they dispose fixed amount of food. Your avatar ranchu is very stunning. Did you raise it outdoors all the time?