Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 03-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #291
david123

nice tree frog ....managed to get them breed?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #292
dkk08
Arofanatic

u guys should see this... white's treefrog eating a snake

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...eats-snake.php
dkk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #293
jt1975

still cant find them in LFS these days... any one spotted wtf/gtf recently ?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #294
phillife76
Senior Dragon

Just to check.. Frog can spread salmonella .. do u guys take precaution?
phillife76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #295
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillife76 View Post
Just to check.. Frog can spread salmonella .. do u guys take precaution?
hi bro what kinda precaution?

We feed feeder frogs to aros and other monster fishes... and we do eat frog legs and frog leg porridge so erm we're not infected by salmonella...

not sure what kinda precaution you talking about...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #296
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
hi bro what kinda precaution?

We feed feeder frogs to aros and other monster fishes... and we do eat frog legs and frog leg porridge so erm we're not infected by salmonella...

not sure what kinda precaution you talking about...
hmmm maybe I misunderstood what you're asking but again the frogs are not meant to be handled or "played" with, they're not toy dogs or cats where u can cuddle and pat... they're meant to be appreciated like how you would a stingray or lionfish
Old 10-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #297
prestontan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkk08 View Post
hmmm maybe I misunderstood what you're asking but again the frogs are not meant to be handled or "played" with, they're not toy dogs or cats where u can cuddle and pat... they're meant to be appreciated like how you would a stingray or lionfish
GTF can be 'trained' to take food from your fingers. I let mine roam about the room. They are active only at night and return to their tanks before 7 a.m. When I enter the room at night, they will all turn to look at me and wait for me to feed them.

I just hope to get more. My old ones just died some time ago and I miss having frogs.
prestontan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #298
dkk08
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestontan View Post
GTF can be 'trained' to take food from your fingers. I let mine roam about the room. They are active only at night and return to their tanks before 7 a.m. When I enter the room at night, they will all turn to look at me and wait for me to feed them.

I just hope to get more. My old ones just died some time ago and I miss having frogs.
Agreed, they can be trained to do that (actually no need to train lar they're so greedy and bold that they can resist any moving objects in front of it... try wriggling your fingers, they'll grab it as well)

But still must take note that since frog's skin are very sensitive as they use their skin to absorb water and oxygen, its advisable not to handle them too much... the following is what I got from wikipedia

"Many frogs are able to absorb water and oxygen directly through the skin, especially around the pelvic area. However, the permeability of a frog's skin can also result in water loss. Some tree frogs reduce water loss with a waterproof layer of skin. Others have adapted behaviours to conserve water, including engaging in nocturnal activity and resting in a water-conserving position. This position involves the frog lying with its toes and fingers tucked under its body and chin, respectively, with no gap between the body and substrate. Some frog species will also rest in large groups, touching the skin of the neighbouring frog. This reduces the amount of skin exposed to the air or a dry surface, and thus reduces water loss. These adaptations only reduce water loss enough for a predominantly arboreal existence, and are not suitable for arid conditions.

Camouflage is a common defensive mechanism in frogs. Most camouflaged frogs are nocturnal, which adds to their ability to hide. Nocturnal frogs usually find the ideal camouflaged position during the day to sleep. Some frogs have the ability to change colour, but this is usually restricted to shades of one or two colours. For example, White's tree frog varies in shades of green and brown. Features such as warts and skin folds are usually found on ground-dwelling frogs, where a smooth skin would not disguise them effectively. Arboreal frogs usually have smooth skin, enabling them to disguise themselves as leaves.[citation needed]

Certain frogs change colour between night and day, as light and moisture stimulate the pigment cells and cause them to expand or contract."
Old 13-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #299
dankoo

Any sightings on WTF around? Seems that no LFS bringing in?