Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 02-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
cisconet

Default Is Sump Filteration noisy?

Currently using a Canister, thought of changing the whole tank to Sump filtration - Cabinet with filteration underneath... Is it noisy?
Old 03-03-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
bearbond

Default Re: Is Sump Filteration noisy?

Quote:
Originally posted by cisconet
Currently using a Canister, thought of changing the whole tank to Sump filtration - Cabinet with filteration underneath... Is it noisy?
yes.. it is relatively noisy as compared to cannister.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:45 AM   #3
devilfire

comparatively, it's noisier but it should not bother if you do up the proper things.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
deep_end

Default Re: Is Sump Filteration noisy?

cisconet,

You're sort of asking the wrong question here. Sure, noise can be a concern especially ir f your family members are sensitive to noise. The main advantage of a sump over a canister is its abiilty to store more filtration media, due to its larger size. The noise can be reduced somewhat, by placing bioballs in the overflow compartment, but it doesn't work all the time. Or you can do a search in the net for Durso modification for a reef tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by cisconet
Old 03-03-2004, 11:27 PM   #5
GOOD

But if you hide the cump in your cabinet problem is solved.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
slcw

one of my concerns over sump was noise.

my dad cannot stand noise...he is home very day and very hour. I have to add bioballs to overflow compartment...close the hood and the noise is barely audiable.

the sump if close the doors if not within ear shot.

it is ok...lucky my doors are solid wood (meaning not just the frame is solid wood but the entire door is. that helps keep noise from water and pumps noise level down
Old 04-03-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
devilfire

Hi cisconet,
i think the greatest noise will definitely come from the overflow compartment and the rest ( media compartment, return pump, skimmer...) should not bother you.
to counter the overflow compartment noise is easy. just apply the siphon method to it and it will be quite silent. the water discharge sound from my prizm skimmer is actually louder!
juz to share...
Old 06-03-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
hanifrez

I don't mind the noise. Very relaxing to hear the sound of water moving about....or it could even sound like the toilet
Old 06-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
slcw

yah...like water fall