Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 27-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
chong99

AFC Member

Default Ranchu breeding - Dry Spawning

Hi,
Sharing my first ranchu breeding season. It happen few weeks ago... the female keep laying eggs every few days. Managed to video the dry spawning process at the 4th spawn. But sorry for the off-centered shots when extracting the eggs and milts, too kan ciong...
Hope your guys like it...

Part1:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Part2:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

a lots of fry...

Day1 - full stomach, fed with bbs

Day>7...

culling...

happy breeding~~
chong99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Dyna
Arofanatic

Wow! This is amazing. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know you can fertilize the eggs dry.

A few questions:
1. May I know why you were wiping the ranchu's stomach? To clear the shit or to stimulate the laying of the eggs and milt?
2. I saw you using a litmus paper or some piece of paper to do something to the male. But I couldn't see it as it was beyond the video shot. Were you trying to absorb the milt, and then mixed it with the eggs?
3. You were using your hand to mix the eggs after adding water I assume you were trying to spread out the eggs. But you did it very violently. Won't most of the eggs be crushed? But I saw many of the fries survived. Interesting

Sorry for all the questioning. Very curious.

Congrats!
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

congratulations bro
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
chong99

AFC Member

Thanks bros,
many information about dry spawning online. I also learn from here.
wiping the tail and it's anal is to remove water, this is important to keep the eggs 'fresh' for much longer time while extracting the milts from the male.
I used fine nylon mesh to collect the milts and mixed to the eggs.
add water and stir vigorously is to separate the eggs apart and fertilize the eggs, shell are quite tough, no worry crushing them.
cheers
Old 27-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
wllm33
Dragon

beautifully done.
thanks for sharing and ur amazing fertilised rate .

btw, how do u know they can have eggs to be milked out , or there is a "triggering" factor first ?

just a suggestion, for the milt , perhaps good to get a small plastic pipette like thing to get it easier and then drip it onto the eggs.
I see them being sold in lfs or maybe daiso.
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
kitsilano

AFC Member

Hi Chong...good to see you sharing your experiences here. Dry handspawning is very unique and can yield very good result too. Thank you for sharing your experiences....must be a fun and exciting new experiences.

Below I like to share the original youtube dry handspawning by Mr Yuki/Yugi of Kinhito Ranchu Shop in Tokyo, Japan...I might get the name wrong and my apology....Kinhito as in here....

http://translate.google.com/translat...ww.kinhito.com

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

This is the IMPOSTER who copied the Japanese breeder video and uploaded as though he is the one doing the dry handspawning...

YouTube Video
YouTube Video

How to tell who is the original...below see the highlighted in red ink...dates that the videos was uploaded on youtube...

Last edited by kitsilano; 28-03-2016 at 01:58 PM.
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
chong99

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllm33 View Post
beautifully done.
thanks for sharing and ur amazing fertilised rate .

btw, how do u know they can have eggs to be milked out , or there is a "triggering" factor first ?

just a suggestion, for the milt , perhaps good to get a small plastic pipette like thing to get it easier and then drip it onto the eggs.
I see them being sold in lfs or maybe daiso.
thanks bro,
if a pair is ready to spawn, the male will chase the female from behind, mostly happen early in the morning during spring/raining season.
i find it is much easier to collect milts using the nylon mesh, my fish very small so milts also very little and i worry pipette might hurt the fish if they struggle...

Hi bro Richard,
i learnt from that video clip also, well done!
you should report the imposter to youtube not AF...
cheers
chong aka exoquatics
Old 29-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
kitsilano

AFC Member

A complain was made to youtube Admin few years back....I think he changed his name to NBO Aquatic and reposted the videos again.

Anyway the idea of sharing is to show that youtube videos can be copied and if used ethically can helps one further our knowledge on goldfish keeping. I used to copy videos onto thumb drives and keep them for reviews.

On rare occasions and knowing especially the owner of the youtube videos will delete the videos especially if the fishes are for sale and once sold, the videos will be taken down....if it is a very good fish, I will copy the video using youtube downloader like YTD and tag video as private or unlisted so that it is accessible only through private viewing. For example Master Suzuki kazuo uses his youtube channel to post fishes for sale and once sales done, the video is deleted. Some of the fishes he put up for sale are very good grade fishes so I like keep a copy for learning.
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
chong99

AFC Member

Another spawn few days ago.... with clearer shots
YouTube Video
Old 12-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #10
Dyna
Arofanatic

Thanks for sharing. Is it a good spawn this round too?
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote