Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 26-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
emptysoulz

Default New tank overrun by Black Spot Algae

Hi guys, seems like after my previous thread on limpets problem I am now facing another problem : Black spot algae

The growth is evident on the lace java fern and nana.
The tank has been cycled for 6 days and had intended to add shrimps in on the 7th.
Don't mind the slightly bigger spot, that is the waste from the otto i just added.

Ph is 6.5 and Ammonia is almost 0, haven't managed to bag a nitrite/nitrate kit yet.

Was reading online on the treatment for black spot and black brush algae and many recommend seachem excel.
However there are some opinions on the effect on sensitive organisms like shrimps if overdosed.

As my tank is small (1 ft 10 litres) I am worried on the effects on the shrimps (which i have not added yet)

I am now thinking of 2 methods
1) Replace the 2 plants (where growth is the heaviest) and continue a daily dose of Seachem excel to manage the growth on the new plantes

2)One of the methods mentioned by an online user, remove the plants and soak them in a 25% seachem 75% water mixture for 5 minutes and put them back into the tank

Leaning towards the first option, any bros have experience with managing blackspot algae?
Old 30-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
Derekyap

Personally I wouldn't recommend you to overdose sachem Excel, instead I would recommend you to stabilise your light routine and pour the needed amount of Excel to your tank based on the instructions.

In addition, you might want to consider adding in Yamato shrimps (about SGD 1 each). Pretty effective in getting rid of algae on plants
Derekyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
peanut8787
Arofanatic

Put in a few SAE or manually remove them will do
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote